BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-17-2019, 08:02 PM   #1
panda-R
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

Too much movement when unloading the engine at low RPMS

Hi guys,

Had new motor mounts put in and I still find the car has a nice solid thud when I unload the engine at low rpms. Still think it's moving too much. Could the tranny mount be worn? I was told the tranny mounts were quite robust though. Have ~67000kms on this 6MT car.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 08:30 PM   #2
LuckiSevens
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda-R View Post
Hi guys,

Had new motor mounts put in and I still find the car has a nice solid thud when I unload the engine at low rpms. Still think it's moving too much. Could the tranny mount be worn? I was told the tranny mounts were quite robust though. Have ~67000kms on this 6MT car.
Mine is a manual, if you don't give enough gas when changing up it can jolt the flywheel on engagement. I think if I had a new dual mass flywheel it would absorb the impact better, but generally it's normal. If you have DCT could be the same mechanical scenario just related to whatever systems manage the clutch engagement.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 08:34 PM   #3
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

probably not the tranny mounts. seems like driveshafts are starting to take a dump on some of the higher mileage cars lately. might be something to look into.
      05-17-2019, 09:06 PM   #4
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
probably not the tranny mounts. seems like driveshafts are starting to take a dump on some of the higher mileage cars lately. might be something to look into.
I get slop from my drivetrain at low rpm's on low on and off throttle, it does feel like the whole drivetrain is jerking around but I've replaced motor/trans mounts and diff mounts as well as have a new differential. I also recently installed a new short shifter and now it's more pronounced. I get cow bell at take off too so I know my drive shaft is on its way out. Plus when I was installing the short shifter I could see lots of grease had been spewed around from the drive shaft center bearing. If that's what your experiencing OP, beefs right.
      05-17-2019, 11:15 PM   #5
panda-R
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

Thanks guys. I wouldnt say its bad yet but maybe i gotta drive this car a bit differently. What other symptoms of a bad driveshaft are there?
Appreciate 0