BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-08-2019, 09:49 PM   #1
palsor
Rep
Drives: M3

Hey guys,

I need some help here. I'm getting a clunking noise when going slow in 1st/2nd gear and either accelerating slightly or let off the gas. The noise is exactly the same thing heard in this video (note this is not my car, just an example):

After doing some research it sound like the common culprits are:
Guibo (flex disc)
Center support bearing
Broken diff bolt(s)
Driveshaft u-joints

I got under the car tonight and did what diagnosis I could without taking the exhaust off. I attached a picture of my guibo. As far as I can tell it looks ok. It certainly doesn't look like the failed ones I saw after some Googling. I also confirmed I could not easily make a clunking noise by wiggling the guibo by hand. I confirmed that all of the diff bolts are in good shape. Nothing broken. I used an inspection scope I have to look at the CSB. It was hard to see clearly, but from I could see that looked in good shape as well, though obviously there is room for error there since I couldn't see much.

So, now I have some questions I'm hoping you can all help me with:

1. Is it possible to have a failed guibo that visually looks ok?
2. Is it possible to inspect the u-joint without taking the driveshaft off?
3. While I was under the car I tried wiggling things around on the rear end. The only thing I could find is that the driver side half shaft coming out of the diff has a lot of linear movement (ie it slides a lot in and out of the diff, not up and down). I took a video of it. Is that normal?

4. Any other ideas?

For what it's worth, this is an '08 with 120k miles, almost all by me. I rarely drive it hard, no track time at all. Mostly highway miles and some stop-and-go traffic to and from work.

Andy
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 02:45 AM   #2
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Sounds like cowbell from driveshaft
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 05:00 AM   #3
TrueToBMW
///M
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

When was the last time the Guibo (Flex disc), Center Support Bearing (CSB), differential fluid, were all replaced, or at least checked properly with the driveshaft removed? Visually it looks okay, but it can be deceiving with hairline tears being present in the rubber, that can't be seen unless the load from a S65 is applied to that rubber via the transmission to the driveshaft.

Reason I ask is because those are definitely items that would need replacing with a car at the mileage you're at, might as well order those, replace them for peace of mind knowing those are heavy wear items, just my opinion, and what I would do.

Regarding that clunking, it sounds as if something is lose, or broken, and under certain applications of load (acceleration or deceleration), it becomes noticeable. If you were to drain the diff fluid, in order to replace it, you'd be able to see if there are any metal shavings in the case, which would maybe steer you into cracking that diff open, if not, might as well replace the fluid (if its due).

listening to that video again though, it definitely makes me think driveshaft related, or at least a component directly affected by it. Maybe you could mount a GoPro of some sort somewhere we could observe the driveshaft of your car as you're driving (very slowly, aka your neighborhood, etc, I know it might be difficult mounting it underneath the car, get creative, maybe its possible), and see if we can observe the area this noise is coming from.

I'd say we need more info, especially pertaining to the area the noise is coming from, there are a lot of moving components to our cars, so to narrow down where its coming from, would be a tremendous step forward, rather than guessing where it might be.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #4
zhan28
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 sedan 6MT

My 2013 zcp started doing this (or at least I started noticing) around 36k miles, now at 40k. Drivability doesn't appear to affected. Haven't gotten a chance to look under the car yet. I don't believe my diff fluid has been changed. Probably gonna start with that.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #5
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

My car has done this for the past 75k miles. It's very common and some BMW dealers will even say that it's normal. It's slack in the driveshaft U-joints. It makes a very distinctive "cowbell" noise. You can resolve it by replacing the driveshaft. The U-joints are not serviceable.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 10:11 AM   #6
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

My car did it with the stock DS and with a new one piece DS. No issues. I keep driving. I think there is a TIS about a differential clunk if you feel like you must do something and have ruled out the DS and related parts as possibilities.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 08:12 PM   #7
palsor
Rep
Drives: M3

Thanks for all the input. In answer to some questions:

- Diff fluid was changed ~20k (1.5yrs) ago. I didn't notice any significant metal at the time.
- I have never changed the CSB or Guibo. I'll have to go back and look at my records to see if the dealer ever changed them out earlier on.

Sounds like the best course of action is to either live with it, or change out the driveshaft. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 08:22 PM   #8
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Or look at the TIS on the diff issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #9
bmwlover0725
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

How ironic. I have the EXACT same clunk and was just about to post something regarding this topic. I'll be curious to find out what it is. I haven't taken a look at mine yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 10:19 PM   #10
Fezza
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: '11 Japan Red E92 M3

speaking of clunking noise, found out one of my my rear caliper carrier bolts had come off. whoever replaced the rotors didn't torque them properly. when I checked, one was 1/4 way out of its hole and the other was missing, leading to the caliper banging against the rotor centre metal lip.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2019, 11:59 AM   #11
Silos
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Same issue. Here is the official SIB:

https://www.bmwcca.org/forum/index.p...axle-pdf.2156/
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 10:24 PM   #12
LuckiSevens
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 e93

You sure it's not a loose brake pad?, it seems to happen just after you come off the brake in the vid... also sounds like it is external (not an internally housed part).
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 02:31 PM   #13
bing240sx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C /// E90 M3 ESS-VT2

gents, getting the same issue. my mechanic-friend diagnosed as a driveshaft or ujoint issue which lead me to this and other threads.

how are guys remedying this?

seems like replacing the driveshaft and related hardware is the way to go?

has anyone done that with success?

I would prefer not to go OEM given the cost at the dealer so alternatives appreciated.

thanks
      05-15-2019, 05:25 PM   #14
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing240sx View Post
gents, getting the same issue. my mechanic-friend diagnosed as a driveshaft or ujoint issue which lead me to this and other threads.

how are guys remedying this?

seems like replacing the driveshaft and related hardware is the way to go?

has anyone done that with success?

I would prefer not to go OEM given the cost at the dealer so alternatives appreciated.

thanks
Dorman do an OEM style driveshaft for $6-700.. I don't have any experience with them but I was eying it...
      06-03-2019, 01:31 AM   #15
monterey
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I had this bell clunk for 2 years. everytime I 1st start off from a stop. all the sidden one day recently the noise disappeared. on its own. very weird stuff.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 08:30 AM   #16
bmwlover0725
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

To be honest, I've grown to enjoy the cowbell noise. I'd be upset if my driveshaft totally failed and I needed a new one that got rid of the noise. It's just one of those characteristics of my beautiful beat ass M3 that gives it more life - like the scored crank. I mean... how could you not be madly in love with a car like that?
      06-06-2019, 02:04 PM   #17
takrdown
Other car was a submarine
Rep
Drives: i4M50 (waiting), 2013 R56 JCW

So I have the cowbell noise too.....but I have some things to look at.

I just:
-Changed the MTF with Redline MTL
-Changed the Diff Fluid with Redline 75W140
-Changed the Tranny mounts
-Changed the steering rack
-Removed and re-installed the entire exhaust system to install a autosolutions shifter linkage setup
-Loosened and reinstalled the bolts to the Guibo to try to get better clearance for the shifter linkage install

Has anyone done any of these things before the cowbell showed up? I don't remember having a cowbell before any of this.
Appreciate 0