BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

03-22-2019, 06:56 PM   #1
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Dead FRM (footwell) module changed under extended warranty!

Thank you BMW San Antonio.

What happened? My car went on a carrier from WA to TX for 9 days. Would’ve been 5 days if it weren’t for that cold/snow storm last week. Upon arrival, dead battery, jump started, cool. Windows weren’t rolling up/down...driver couldn’t look out the side to safely reverse it...fuck. But no biggie, still got it off safely. Interior lights did not light up, signal lights dead but no SES, only warning was red with car on the lift symbol. Drove perfectly fine. By default, headlights are on ON position at all times (stock safety program) brake lights do work.

Got my car back from the dealer after they changed my dead FRM module under warranty. This is my experience, it may be or may not the same as the next guy. My findings... my car went back to stock ECU file. Is my servotronic and DCT GTS file gone too? Don’t know but we’ll assume it is due to stock ECU file and my butt dyno feeling like it’s less snappy. All my euro coding, headlights, orange corner bulb options are gone, naturally, new FRM module. No biggie, I’ll just remote code with Alpine tune some time again. I’ll reupload my stage 2 file again. And all will be right in the world. Funny, I am catless, file is stock ECU but no SES for being catless. I’m not worried about it. Just an observation.

Were there any warning signs of a dead FRM? Not for me, changed my battery 2 years ago, original alternator, no recalled battery wiring, voltage is correct before shipping my car. Also noticed the side mirrors are a bit faster folding in and out. Before it seemed slow. I thought it was the gears going out but now it seems refreshed.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:23 PM   #2
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

If they updated the car everything is gone.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 09:09 PM   #3
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
If they updated the car everything is gone.
Yup but I have everything to bring it back
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 10:58 PM   #4
codinge90
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

It most likely failed when you jumped the car. For anyone reading this post and you're having these same symptoms the FRM is covered under a 10 year/150,000 mile warranty regardless of owner or modifications.

As for the SES light not coming on, it'll eventually come on. Your o2's just need to realize the car is catless, sometimes it takes 20 miles and sometimes it takes 200. Gts flash was reset forsure, you'll need to get everything recoded and flashed.
Appreciate 1
ItsGary1457.50
      03-23-2019, 02:53 PM   #5
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
It most likely failed when you jumped the car. For anyone reading this post and you're having these same symptoms the FRM is covered under a 10 year/150,000 mile warranty regardless of owner or modifications.

As for the SES light not coming on, it'll eventually come on. Your o2's just need to realize the car is catless, sometimes it takes 20 miles and sometimes it takes 200. Gts flash was reset forsure, you'll need to get everything recoded and flashed.
Correct, I scanned for codes after a 30 mile ride from pick up. 2789, 278A were there. I cleared it, reuploaded Alpines stage 2 file, 50 mile drive later, still not there. Just missing the DCT flash that needs to be done.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 07:59 PM   #6
shuggy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90M3, '20 X3M, '20 RRSSVR

Similar experience here. Battery discharge had been appearing on/off over the last several months. Battery replaced 3 years ago to Bosch OEM and ignition at startup has been instantaneous, so was thinking electronics were acting up.

One day, all of a sudden didn't start up. Checked battery voltage was ~11.2, so figured it was the battery indeed. Used a battery pack to jump start, failed. Lots of clacking coming from the fuse box. No burning smell, no blown fuses. Let it sit overnight. Next day, battery voltage was ~7.5. Jump start worked, but 4 errors: Transmission (DCT) malfunction!, Start-off assistance inactive!, Increased battery discharge!, and Dynamic damping control malfunction!

Crap... finally started up, but couldn't drive it to charge the battery. Let it run for about 15 mins. Turned off. Started up again, luckily without any issues. Later that morning, drove to EAS to have battery changed and spark plugs replaced. Was told FRM module failed and threw codes. No DCT malfunction this time, but angel eyes, windows, and blinkers did not work.

Was advised that FRM module warranty had been extended twice, first to, 8yr/100,000mi, then to 10yr/156,000mi. Called South Bay BMW and they had one FRM module in stock. This was a Friday afternoon. Drove there, explained my situation, and over the weekend they ran a dupe diagnostics, and indeed it was just FRM to blame. Was replaced under warranty.

I'm not sure if this is related, but since the FRM replacement, my cold start is back to what it used to be. For the last few years and 10,000 mi or so, cold start seems to have been abbreviated and a lot quieter. I'm at 59,000 mi, sparks were replaced once under warranty at 28,xxx mi, so maybe it was that?? I have MS Test Pipes and ESS Tune (cold start intact), so it makes sense the cycle is shorter than when I had primary cats. Nonetheless, thought it was interesting, and with all things done, car is running significantly better than before.
2011 E90 M3 | Space Gray | RKP CF Roof | MPerf Recaro | Full Interior CF & Alcantara | BMW MPE v2, MS Test Pipes | BPM Tune | MFactory CF DS | Bilstein B6 Damptronic | Full DINAN & Eventuri & DO88 | Modesta BC-04 | Potenza RE-71R
2020 X3M
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 11:37 PM   #7
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuggy View Post

I'm not sure if this is related, but since the FRM replacement, my cold start is back to what it used to be. For the last few years and 10,000 mi or so, cold start seems to have been abbreviated and a lot quieter. I'm at 59,000 mi, sparks were replaced once under warranty at 28,xxx mi, so maybe it was that?? I have MS Test Pipes and ESS Tune (cold start intact), so it makes sense the cycle is shorter than when I had primary cats. Nonetheless, thought it was interesting, and with all things done, car is running significantly better than before.
I didn't have issues with cold start timing. I always wait for the idle to dip lower once cold start is over with. My car is a solid piece of work, my only worry for the mean time are the throttle actuators. Anything that could make the car break down has already been replaced, mainly RB's. But I would still like to have a new alternator, starter especially it being 10 yrs old now from the manufacturing date.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 04:23 PM   #8
shuggy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90M3, '20 X3M, '20 RRSSVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
I didn't have issues with cold start timing. I always wait for the idle to dip lower once cold start is over with. My car is a solid piece of work, my only worry for the mean time are the throttle actuators. Anything that could make the car break down has already been replaced, mainly RB's. But I would still like to have a new alternator, starter especially it being 10 yrs old now from the manufacturing date.
Totally! I'm now thinking this is going to be the thing that's going to fail one day without any warning. Likewise, have had everything else dealt with. Looks like it'll be ~$1,500 to get this replaced out-of-pocket, parts and 2-3 hrs labor...
2011 E90 M3 | Space Gray | RKP CF Roof | MPerf Recaro | Full Interior CF & Alcantara | BMW MPE v2, MS Test Pipes | BPM Tune | MFactory CF DS | Bilstein B6 Damptronic | Full DINAN & Eventuri & DO88 | Modesta BC-04 | Potenza RE-71R
2020 X3M
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 03:16 PM   #9
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Just an update since my last post. It has been 2 years and roughly 12,000 miles later. Most of those miles have been on I-5, Autobahn and Northern Europe. Haven't had any FRM issues. No issues with BE bearings (haven't done Blackstone analysis since 2018 anyway), replaced actuators with MPower Motorsport actuators.

I think my original issue was having a lead battery this whole time. It was all of my accessories (Air Lift management, SONY headunit) that would drain my lead battery. Whoever installed the headunit (it was before I bought the car) sourced power that would drain the battery. BMW shop in Rudesheim routed the power via 30G so my Air Lift and AVIN headunit powers down when the car sleeps in 15-18 minutes. Having an AGM battery seems to have mitigated all of these issues. It's now headed back to the states. Hopefully the battery holds during shipping for the next 60 days.

Last edited by Route 16; 05-21-2022 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 04:22 PM   #10
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

Just FYI to anyone with a failed FRM any decent coder will fix your FRM module and lifetime warranty it for $100
Appreciate 1
Route 16843.50
      05-21-2022, 04:36 PM   #11
lonatic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E36 M3

Mine went out recently when I was doing my vf650 install and disconnected battery. Found some guy on ebay and he was able to fix it for $50.
Route 16843.50
      05-21-2022, 08:13 PM   #12
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Similar experience here. Battery discharge had been appearing on/off over the last several months. Battery replaced 3 years ago to Bosch OEM and ignition at startup has been instantaneous, so was thinking electronics were acting up.

One day, all of a sudden didn't start up. Checked battery voltage was ~11.2, so figured it was the battery indeed. Used a battery pack to jump start, failed. Lots of clacking coming from the fuse box. No burning smell, no blown fuses. Let it sit overnight. Next day, battery voltage was ~7.5. Jump start worked, but 4 errors: Transmission (DCT) malfunction!, Start-off assistance inactive!, Increased battery discharge!, and Dynamic damping control malfunction!

Crap... finally started up, but couldn't drive it to charge the battery. Let it run for about 15 mins. Turned off. Started up again, luckily without any issues. Later that morning, drove to EAS to have battery changed and spark plugs replaced. Was told FRM module failed and threw codes. No DCT malfunction this time, but angel eyes, windows, and blinkers did not work.

Was advised that FRM module warranty had been extended twice, first to, 8yr/100,000mi, then to 10yr/156,000mi. Called South Bay BMW and they had one FRM module in stock. This was a Friday afternoon. Drove there, explained my situation, and over the weekend they ran a dupe diagnostics, and indeed it was just FRM to blame. Was replaced under warranty.

This is interesting to me. I'm currently having 27B0 and 279D issues. I'm wondering if something is bringing down my voltage which is killing my secondary air pumps flow? Both are DME related codes but I have had the red car on a lift on the dash twice and just gone on it's own, a rear brake pad sensor error and just gone on its own and a battery discharge warning then gone on its own. My battery and alternator are both less than 2 years old. I also had the power cable recall performed. I wonder if my DME or FRM are dying?:
      05-22-2022, 09:03 AM   #13
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
This is interesting to me. I'm currently having 27B0 and 279D issues. I'm wondering if something is bringing down my voltage which is killing my secondary air pumps flow? Both are DME related codes but I have had the red car on a lift on the dash twice and just gone on it's own, a rear brake pad sensor error and just gone on its own and a battery discharge warning then gone on its own. My battery and alternator are both less than 2 years old. I also had the power cable recall performed. I wonder if my DME or FRM are dying?:
Do you have a lead or AGM battery?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 03:39 PM   #14
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Do you have a lead or AGM battery?
AGM put in by my dealer to avoid any crap.
      05-22-2022, 04:41 PM   #15
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Gotcha and you had an AGM battery during your issues?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 05:03 PM   #16
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Gotcha and you had an AGM battery during your issues?
Yeah, the prior battery was AGM as well.
      05-26-2022, 05:57 AM   #17
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Not related to your DME or FRM at all.

Start the car cold with a multimeter attached and send a video of the values throughout the cold start cycle.

On a side note - we retuned shuggys car about a year ago and issues he had with his previous software were finally sorted. it's likely his cold start returned because the dealership overwrote his previous software that actually did modify the cold start routine when it wasn't supposed to

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0