BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-09-2019, 06:12 PM   #23
M3 Number 86
Major General
2859
Rep
5,967
Posts

Drives: black m3
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: pasadena

iTrader: (1)

i dont feel any tramlining with -3.6 camber and zero toe up front 275 square....maybe on certain roads but my area has overall decent roads.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 06:25 PM   #24
SFCM3
Major
United_States
893
Rep
1,423
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

again, i know exactly how tramlining feels as my track e30 is horrible to drive on the freeway. Running 359m 19x10 et25 with 275/30/19 square has produced no tramlining for me. camber settings are stock, suspension is stock ZCP. virtually no change in driveability from staggered 359m running factory tires (originals were still on car when i bought it), to the new square setup.

That being said, i am in the process of getting a set of coilovers on the car before driving 900 miles roundtrip to Bimmerfest this month. Will report back with my findings after the roadtrip.
__________________
I am never able to post pictures on forums, all my pics are on IG @baye30 https://www.instagram.com/baye30/
Current Garage - [2011 E90 M3 ZCP] [2005 E53 X5 3.0 Sport] [1988 E30 325IS 24V]
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 09:16 PM   #25
M3pnoy
Captain
M3pnoy's Avatar
Philippines
53
Rep
624
Posts

Drives: Amuse W/B s2000, A/W 08 M3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bergen County, NJ

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
again, i know exactly how tramlining feels as my track e30 is horrible to drive on the freeway. Running 359m 19x10 et25 with 275/30/19 square has produced no tramlining for me. camber settings are stock, suspension is stock ZCP. virtually no change in driveability from staggered 359m running factory tires (originals were still on car when i bought it), to the new square setup.

That being said, i am in the process of getting a set of coilovers on the car before driving 900 miles roundtrip to Bimmerfest this month. Will report back with my findings after the roadtrip.
Curious which coilovers are you going with? I abandoned the idea of going square zcp’s as I heard it touches the perches of kw’s in front without spacers.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 03:01 PM   #26
slicer
Major General
slicer's Avatar
United_States
1251
Rep
5,751
Posts

Drives: '13 E92 M3 - '17 F31 330i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Santa Barbara, CA - @slicer_m

iTrader: (36)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3pnoy View Post
Curious which coilovers are you going with? I abandoned the idea of going square zcp’s as I heard it touches the perches of kw’s in front without spacers.
This same issue occurs with most coil overs unless they are specified with a shorter than typical main spring. It's simply a product of having an adjustable ride height suspension. That being said, I have test fit KW V3's with 10.5 et22 and 285/30/18 tires and they did not need a spacer. This is due to the fact that the V3 uses a progressive spring instead of a linear main spring with a helper (like the KW clubsport and pretty much every other more track oriented suspension uses). The linear with helper increases the stack height and typically puts the perch in line with the tire at a lowered ride height. I have installed shorter main springs on KW clubsports as well as my current Öhlins TTX suspension in order to place the perch higher to increase inner clearance. This is really not a big deal. Springs are about $150 a set and little, if any, added labor if you plan for this up front. Additionally if you order a more custom kit by JRZ, Öhlins, Moton, AST... you can tell them you want a short main spring to avoid any issues.
__________________
'13 AW E92 M3 - Ohlins TTX, SPL Susp Arms, AP Racing BBK (Essex), Akrapovic GT4, CSF Cooling, VPhreaks Bat, OE M3 GTS - Lip/RSD/Cage, M235ir Wing, Varis Diffuser, Karbonius Airbox, MFactory DS, M24 Door Cards, KMP Wheel, Cobra Seats w/BK Mounts, BBS E88
'17 MR 330i F31 M-Sport Touring - For Lease Assumption - Forged BBS RE - For Sale
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 08:54 AM   #27
Richbot
Brigadier General
1556
Rep
4,618
Posts

Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (4)

The only trick bag you get into is if you don't want to use a camber plate and want to use the stock upper mount (as I do). Because camber plates are an easy-button for anybody doing track anyway, nobody has bothered to make a part to adapt a flat, hard mating surface to accept the swifts etc., but I think it'd be relatively easy to print a polymer adapter and then cut a small piece of sheet stock to protect the polymer from metal wearing through it.

I might fiddle with it once I get my rearend setup sorted.
__________________

Last edited by Richbot; 05-15-2019 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 12:34 AM   #28
aus
Major General
United_States
539
Rep
8,661
Posts

Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (10)

Bumping an old thread instead of creating a new one first.

Anyone have input on 10.5" square with et20??
Will this work and what size tires?
Thanks!
.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 09:41 AM   #29
derbo
Keeper of Blinky Lights
derbo's Avatar
United_States
864
Rep
961
Posts

Drives: Beluga Whale
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Bumping an old thread instead of creating a new one first.

Anyone have input on 10.5" square with et20??
Will this work and what size tires?
Thanks!
.
It's largely dependent on your suspension setup. Most setups with helper springs will not work. I was able to clear my MCS coilovers with a helper spring with 275/35/18 tires.

Others like slicer have done, 285/30/18 18x10.5 ET 22 without helper springs.

I'm not sure how it works with OE suspension setup though. It should clear but I'm not 100% certain.
__________________
Appreciate 1
aus538.50

      06-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #30
slicer
Major General
slicer's Avatar
United_States
1251
Rep
5,751
Posts

Drives: '13 E92 M3 - '17 F31 330i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Santa Barbara, CA - @slicer_m

iTrader: (36)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Bumping an old thread instead of creating a new one first.

Anyone have input on 10.5" square with et20??
Will this work and what size tires?
Thanks!
.
It's largely dependent on your suspension setup. Most setups with helper springs will not work. I was able to clear my MCS coilovers with a helper spring with 275/35/18 tires.

Others like slicer have done, 285/30/18 18x10.5 ET 22 without helper springs.

I'm not sure how it works with OE suspension setup though. It should clear but I'm not 100% certain.
295/30/18 also fits with 10.5 et22 without a helper. Et20 is all good in the front with up to a 295 if your suspension is setup for it. Rear will work as well with a 295/30/18 but et20 starts to get a little aggressive with a 295. Some tires that run wide might start to be an issue. I would not attempt 295/35/18 in rear with that wheel spec unless you have an e90 M3 (slightly more space than e92)

275/35/18 or 285/35/18 would also be no problem in rear.
__________________
'13 AW E92 M3 - Ohlins TTX, SPL Susp Arms, AP Racing BBK (Essex), Akrapovic GT4, CSF Cooling, VPhreaks Bat, OE M3 GTS - Lip/RSD/Cage, M235ir Wing, Varis Diffuser, Karbonius Airbox, MFactory DS, M24 Door Cards, KMP Wheel, Cobra Seats w/BK Mounts, BBS E88
'17 MR 330i F31 M-Sport Touring - For Lease Assumption - Forged BBS RE - For Sale
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
aus538.50

      06-07-2019, 05:19 PM   #31
aus
Major General
United_States
539
Rep
8,661
Posts

Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
It's largely dependent on your suspension setup. Most setups with helper springs will not work. I was able to clear my MCS coilovers with a helper spring with 275/35/18 tires.

Others like slicer have done, 285/30/18 18x10.5 ET 22 without helper springs.

I'm not sure how it works with OE suspension setup though. It should clear but I'm not 100% certain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
295/30/18 also fits with 10.5 et22 without a helper. Et20 is all good in the front with up to a 295 if your suspension is setup for it. Rear will work as well with a 295/30/18 but et20 starts to get a little aggressive with a 295. Some tires that run wide might start to be an issue. I would not attempt 295/35/18 in rear with that wheel spec unless you have an e90 M3 (slightly more space than e92)

275/35/18 or 285/35/18 would also be no problem in rear.
Thanks guys!
Suspension is KW Clubsport with helper. Would a 5mm spacer work up front if needed?
.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 07:01 PM   #32
slicer
Major General
slicer's Avatar
United_States
1251
Rep
5,751
Posts

Drives: '13 E92 M3 - '17 F31 330i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Santa Barbara, CA - @slicer_m

iTrader: (36)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Thanks guys!
Suspension is KW Clubsport with helper. Would a 5mm spacer work up front if needed?
.
I have a customer running 10.5 et22 with a 265/35/18 and KW club sports without a spacer. However a wider tire will likely hit the clubsport spring. You can solve with spacer or go to a shorter main spring with your clubsports. I don't recommend deleting your helper on that suspension. I could delete my helper and still preload the spring (without needing a helper) because I have Öhlins which uses an inverted design.

See pic - this will help illustrate. Note that there is a helper in place in this pic. I later deleted which now gives me plenty of room for a 295 in the front.

Wheel fit by slicerM, on Flickr
__________________
'13 AW E92 M3 - Ohlins TTX, SPL Susp Arms, AP Racing BBK (Essex), Akrapovic GT4, CSF Cooling, VPhreaks Bat, OE M3 GTS - Lip/RSD/Cage, M235ir Wing, Varis Diffuser, Karbonius Airbox, MFactory DS, M24 Door Cards, KMP Wheel, Cobra Seats w/BK Mounts, BBS E88
'17 MR 330i F31 M-Sport Touring - For Lease Assumption - Forged BBS RE - For Sale
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 2
derbo863.50
aus538.50

      06-08-2019, 01:16 AM   #33
aus
Major General
United_States
539
Rep
8,661
Posts

Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I have a customer running 10.5 et22 with a 265/35/18 and KW club sports without a spacer. However a wider tire will likely hit the clubsport spring. You can solve with spacer or go to a shorter main spring with your clubsports. I don't recommend deleting your helper on that suspension. I could delete my helper and still preload the spring (without needing a helper) because I have Öhlins which uses an inverted design.

See pic - this will help illustrate. Note that there is a helper in place in this pic. I later deleted which now gives me plenty of room for a 295 in the front.

Wheel fit by slicerM, on Flickr
Do you think the 10.5 with et20 would fit a 285/30-18 up front with KW Clubsports? If not, how about with a 5mm spacer?
Thanks again!
.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 02:57 AM   #34
slicer
Major General
slicer's Avatar
United_States
1251
Rep
5,751
Posts

Drives: '13 E92 M3 - '17 F31 330i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Santa Barbara, CA - @slicer_m

iTrader: (36)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I have a customer running 10.5 et22 with a 265/35/18 and KW club sports without a spacer. However a wider tire will likely hit the clubsport spring. You can solve with spacer or go to a shorter main spring with your clubsports. I don't recommend deleting your helper on that suspension. I could delete my helper and still preload the spring (without needing a helper) because I have Öhlins which uses an inverted design.

See pic - this will help illustrate. Note that there is a helper in place in this pic. I later deleted which now gives me plenty of room for a 295 in the front.

Wheel fit by slicerM, on Flickr
Do you think the 10.5 with et20 would fit a 285/30-18 up front with KW Clubsports? If not, how about with a 5mm spacer?
Thanks again!
.
You will most likely need a 5mm or 10mm spacer unless you go to a shorter main spring which is what I have done when I had KW in past
__________________
'13 AW E92 M3 - Ohlins TTX, SPL Susp Arms, AP Racing BBK (Essex), Akrapovic GT4, CSF Cooling, VPhreaks Bat, OE M3 GTS - Lip/RSD/Cage, M235ir Wing, Varis Diffuser, Karbonius Airbox, MFactory DS, M24 Door Cards, KMP Wheel, Cobra Seats w/BK Mounts, BBS E88
'17 MR 330i F31 M-Sport Touring - For Lease Assumption - Forged BBS RE - For Sale
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
aus538.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST