BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-14-2019, 09:27 PM   #23
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

I've talked to more than a dozen shops. The shops that have enough knowledge/skill to actually understand the issue won't touch it. The shops that have no idea what's going on will gladly/blindly accept the challenge. I made decent acquaintance with one shop owner and he finally agreed to do it but quoted $1,000 and it came with the mutual agreement that there was a small possibility that attempting the repair might damage the roof. There may be a few shops out there that can handle it, but I'm guessing 99% of shops won't touch it unless you have a repertoire with them. Surprisingly BMW only charges $2,000 for a new roof

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...10-54108045327

I ended up never getting mine fixed by the shop because it's become a track car. I've been thinking about lightly sanding or shaving away with a razor blade the trouble area, spraying it with plastidip to smooth it out and wrapping it in gloss black or carbon fiber vinyl
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 01:35 AM   #24
TTony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Macan Turbo, IS350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dre View Post
I use to work for Mitsubishi Motors NA. The carbon fiber rear wing coating would start to fade and peel. One of the body shops in San Jose was able to fix them. The guy would use a razor blade and strip it by hand (amazing) and refinish it. They looked pretty much factory.

It was so good that we sent finished samples back to Japan.
Do you remember the name of the body shop in San Jose?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 04:56 PM   #25
FloridaCoach
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

The Florida sun finally took its toll on my roof as well. Looks like something got underneath the clear coat through a crack and has just gotten progressively worse.

Contemplating a new roof or just a complete recoat. The clearcoat is just flaking off and I cannot stress how yellowed it is.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 06:36 PM   #26
LuckiSevens
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 e93

Looks great 👍
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 06:51 PM   #27
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaCoach View Post
The Florida sun finally took its toll on my roof as well. Looks like something got underneath the clear coat through a crack and has just gotten progressively worse.

Contemplating a new roof or just a complete recoat. The clearcoat is just flaking off and I cannot stress how yellowed it is.

That's how mine started. I managed to save it it's not blem free though and has slight discoloration. I thought about springing for a new panel but it's a very invasive procedure to switch it out. Adds a little personality really. My car is no museum piece but it runs like a top.
      04-17-2019, 11:09 PM   #28
E92friendly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E9x m3 sexiness

Quote:

Quote:

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

Perfect time to tear off that gel coat!!!! Yes replacing the roof panel would be a lot of work. Cover or removal of interior pieces for sure the headliner, both rear and front windshields and the cut and grid of prep to remove the old and apply the new. It's a one day job also. 😬 I could do it in 1-2 days.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 12:11 PM   #29
E92friendly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePe92 View Post
I'm in the auto industry so I can get insider rates. The issue I'm running into is that a lot of the shops that I use haven't done anything like this (and generally don't work on CF). Is this process something that any competent body shop should be able to do if I show them this link?
Depends what do you want, peel and reclear or replace the whole carbon roof? I wouldn't trust a regular body shop to do so unless there's someone that knows carbon fiber but to replace is easy. I could do that myself all day long. Peeling the roof and to sand a bit is very tricky and takes tons of patience. I wouldn't trust anyone unless it was a specialized shop that works with carbon fiber parts or you personally know someone who knows themselves what to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 12:37 AM   #30
MikePe92
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92friendly View Post
Quote:
I'm in the auto industry so I can get insider rates. The issue I'm running into is that a lot of the shops that I use haven't done anything like this (and generally don't work on CF). Is this process something that any competent body shop should be able to do if I show them this link?
Depends what do you want, peel and reclear or replace the whole carbon roof? I wouldn't trust a regular body shop to do so unless there's someone that knows carbon fiber but to replace is easy. I could do that myself all day long. Peeling the roof and to sand a bit is very tricky and takes tons of patience. I wouldn't trust anyone unless it was a specialized shop that works with carbon fiber parts or you personally know someone who knows themselves what to do.
Well, I bit the bullet and had the entire CF roof panel replaced. It's still in the shop but I expect to have it back next week. Pretty big job. Fingers crossed for no rattles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-25-2019, 10:34 PM   #31
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well, I bit the bullet and had the entire CF roof panel replaced. It's still in the shop but I expect to have it back next week. Pretty big job. Fingers crossed for no rattles.
What shop? Keep us update with pics
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 01:37 AM   #32
MikePe92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRPM View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The shop is European Collision Center in Downey, CA. The repair was coordinated through my local BMW dealership. They've done quite a few CF roof replacements before, based on what they've told me. They have been very responsive and transparent throughout the process as well, which has been helpful.
I'll post more pics as soon as I have them. Let me know if you guys have any questions or if there's anything I should look out for when I inspect the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 09:47 PM   #33
MikePe92
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRPM View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The shop is European Collision Center in Downey, CA. The repair was coordinated through my local BMW dealership. They've done quite a few CF roof replacements before, based on what they've told me. They have been very responsive and transparent throughout the process as well, which has been helpful.
I'll post more pics as soon as I have them. Let me know if you guys have any questions or if there's anything I should look out for when I inspect the car.
Finally picked up the car today after over a month at the shop. Here's the new roof.. perfection.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
SoCalRPM885.50
      06-04-2019, 02:55 AM   #34
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Finally picked up the car today after over a month at the shop. Here's the new roof.. perfection.
Fantastic job!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 03:19 AM   #35
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92 6MT

Mine is having the same problem.

Previous owner said a rock chip hit the roof, then the coat began to crack.

So, E92friendly,

How is your roof doing?

Did it crack again?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 09:45 PM   #36
E92friendly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvictormp View Post
Mine is having the same problem.

Previous owner said a rock chip hit the roof, then the coat began to crack.

So, E92friendly,

How is your roof doing?

Did it crack again?
My roof never cracked again never bubbles or peeled. No issues occurred. Looking at the pics I am clueless as to why they removed the quarter panel glass on your car. I find it unnecessary for a roof panel job. I've been a Atech for 5 years and a roof job would only require both from and back glass only. And just some interior pieces. Weird. Unless the quarter panels were painted hmm
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 09:50 PM   #37
E92friendly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I am clueless as to why they removed the quarter glass and detriment other exterior pieces. The only things that should have been removed were the front and back glass and of course some interior pieces like head liner and corner pieces interior only. Did you have paint work done to your car? If not you've been screwed over unneeded labor. How much did that run you if you don't mind me asking? I am quite curious on labor costs.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #38
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I am clueless as to why they removed the quarter glass and detriment other exterior pieces. The only things that should have been removed were the front and back glass and of course some interior pieces like head liner and corner pieces interior only. Did you have paint work done to your car? If not you've been screwed over unneeded labor. How much did that run you if you don't mind me asking? I am quite curious on labor costs.
How can you clamp down the roof for the adhesive bonding material to set unless you pull the quarter glass?

I thought the same thing in the beginning, but i think the shop who performed this job went above and beyond to do it correctly. Whether that equals a high price tag is TBD.
      06-06-2019, 12:27 PM   #39
E92friendly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
Quote:
How can you clamp down the roof for the adhesive bonding material to set unless you pull the quarter glass?

I thought the same thing in the beginning, but i think the shop who performed this job went above and beyond to do it correctly. Whether that equals a high price tag is TBD.
Oh snap I totally over looked that 🤦*♂️ crap. Haha. I'm thinking like welding in the panel. Carbon roof process is different.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 07:01 PM   #40
MikePe92
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh snap I totally over looked that 🤦*♂️ crap. Haha. I'm thinking like welding in the panel. Carbon roof process is different.
That's correct. They had to pull the rear quarter glass to properly clamp the roof down for the adhesive. Here's a shot during that point of the process. It was definitely a big job but the shop went above and beyond to do everything they could to be as close to factory spec as possible. They even used BMW factory adhesive and curing agents (or so I was told..). Overall I'm very pleased with the outcome. Now I just need to figure out the best option to protect it! Any suggestions? Ceramic coating, 3M, XPel?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
SoCalRPM885.50
      06-06-2019, 07:03 PM   #41
MikePe92
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's correct. They had to pull the rear quarter glass to properly clamp the roof down for the adhesive. Here's a shot during that point of the process. It was definitely a big job but the shop went above and beyond to do everything they could to be as close to factory spec as possible. They even used BMW factory adhesive and curing agents (or so I was told..). Overall I'm very pleased with the outcome. Now I just need to figure out the best option to protect it! Any suggestions? Ceramic coating, 3M, XPel?
And here's what the old panel looks like after removal. Still have it if anyone is interested!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 11:43 AM   #42
CHE///MIST3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT Space/Black

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Wow, what a nice option to have, full roof replacement! It looks incredible.

I'm looking to buy an '09 that is in superb cosmetic condition all around, but the roof is looking a little yellow while seen under direct sunlight...but no chips or peeling that I can see. Is this something that is just inevitable and probably shouldn't worry about? If it does continue to a very bold yellow in the future will there exist options for getting a new roof?

GM
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #43
DMA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3~09 E92M3~03 E46M3

I had the same thing happen to my 2009 E92 M3. This thread helped guide me on what to do. THANKS TO THE OP

Unfortunately it sits outside for most of its life. I had it under bmw car cover, xpel clear bra on roof, and ceramic coating on xpel. Still with all that the gel coat failed. The good news is I was able to save it. I think my saving grace was the xpel. The clear started to bubble under the xpel. When I started to peal off the xpel the gel coat came off with it.

I got lucky and literally all of the gel coat came off with the xpel. Just came out like in sheets.

I then had a body shop just spray clear over it with the OPs instructions.

Here is pics of the whole process:

When I first started pealing it:

This is after all of it pealed off. It was extremely easy it just came off in sheets.

At body shop before they started to work on it. Lines on roof are just from the blue tape I put on it for trip there.

During the process of clear coating. The close up pic is before any last wet sanding.

Final Results

IG:@DMAGARAGE - 2003 E46 M3 | 2009 E92 M3 | 2016 F80 M3
Appreciate 3
M3MPH1S592.00
R-3551.00
chocstraw495.50
      06-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #44
CHE///MIST3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT Space/Black

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lE92l View Post
I had the same thing happen to my 2009 E92 M3. This thread helped guide me on what to do. THANKS TO THE OP

Unfortunately it sits outside for most of its life. I had it under bmw car cover, xpel clear bra on roof, and ceramic coating on xpel. Still with all that the gel coat failed. The good news is I was able to save it. I think my saving grace was the xpel. The clear started to bubble under the xpel. When I started to peal off the xpel the gel coat came off with it.

I got lucky and literally all of the gel coat came off with the xpel. Just came out like in sheets.

I then had a body shop just spray clear over it with the OPs instructions.

[B]At body shop before they started to work on it. Lines on roof are just from the blue tape I put on it for trip there.
Awesome efforts with great results! I am amazed at how the layers just come off like that. when the gel-coat/clearcoat came off, did that take off most of the yellowness with it? I would have thought that most of the yellow would be embedded between the weaves of the carbon fabric, but from the looks of the layers you pulled off, its mostly in the clear coat/gel coat.

GM
Appreciate 0