BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-18-2020, 10:49 AM   #221
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakywarrior View Post
Just read a post from Malek back in 2016 saying 9k rpms wont ever be reliable without bottom end rotating assembly build...... bummer. You actually posted in that thread as well.
292s aren't big enough to require 9k rpms out of a 4.0L engine to max power out. At 8600 you're probably there

Here's some advice for you and anyone else reading the thread, coming from someone who has a money-no-object stroker engine: do not ever allow someone to open up your engine to 'upgrade' anything, other than rod bearings.
Can you elaborate? Isn't there weight to be saved in the rotating assembly? Upgrading to lighter, forged internals has a benefit.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #222
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakywarrior View Post
I need a listen!!! Any links??
In the stroker thread there's a vid of it at the track

Here it is:
The sound in the video is exhaust-biased as the mike is back there. It doesn't capture how much wonderful intake sound you hear.
I have Karbonius on my E92 as well as it also sounds wonderful, however the stroker sounds much better and a big portion of that is the cams

Car sounds glorious and it makes me want to do an engine build badly!
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      02-18-2020, 11:31 AM   #223
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Can you elaborate? Isn't there weight to be saved in the rotating assembly? Upgrading to lighter, forged internals has a benefit.
My assumption in this comment is that the risk of things not going together and working as flawlessly as your stock engine is high and the cost will be too.
Appreciate 1
slicer2737.50
      02-18-2020, 12:02 PM   #224
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

The rods are pretty skinny as they are. Pistons are pretty light as well. Factory cranks have varied by 10% or 4 lbs — there are 4 different versions. Flywheels have also varied, but don’t know by how much — there are 2 versions. LTW single mass flywheel would drop reciprocating mass. CF driveshaft drops some as well.
Appreciate 1
slicer2737.50
      01-19-2021, 03:03 PM   #225
Kevin Bird
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 GT4

Was there ever a conclusion on the worth of fittings cams with a stock ECU?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 03:12 PM   #226
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bird View Post
Was there ever a conclusion on the worth of fittings cams with a stock ECU?
Ask SYT_Shadow for info on this. IIRC, a proper tune and 292 cams on a 4.0L can put out some proper HP.

Cheers,

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 03:18 PM   #227
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

We've had a few results of 4.0L S65s with 292 cams.
maicol76 posted his information, I recall around 407whp and OG Shark posted a 417whp dynojet.

I am convinced that when all is said and done we'll see more than 420whp on straight 93 octane from intake/cams/headers/xpipe/pulleys. That would be pretty nice considering my F80CS dynos 435whp.

As usual the issue is the tuning. We are stuck as a enthusiast group with packaged 'tunes' that are resold by people who are not tuners at all, with contents that would scare the crap out of anyone who understands ECUs.

One day things will be better.
Appreciate 4
Scharbag2620.50
Macpsi23.50
6ixSpd6014.50
      01-19-2021, 03:22 PM   #228
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:

Here it is:
The sound in the video is exhaust-biased as the mike is back there. It doesn't capture how much wonderful intake sound you hear.
I have Karbonius on my E92 as well as it also sounds wonderful, however the stroker sounds much better and a big portion of that is the cams

Epic video...
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11479.50
Scharbag2620.50
      01-19-2021, 04:23 PM   #229
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Here it is:

Why are all the Porsches driving so slow? :P

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 04:39 PM   #230
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
Why are all the Porsches driving so slow? :P
It's a combination of things. It can be one or more of these, sometimes all at once. Here are actual excuses they come provide even though I could not care less and stay close to my car without talking to anyone. In parenthesis is my already-listening as they speak their stupidities

-Their alignments are off (yes, because I set up my alignment by jacking the car up at the paddock by bumping the wheels to try to match the marks on the camber plates. And drove 300 miles with the car full of stuff to the track. I'm sure my alignment is a lot better than the trailered cars)
-Their tires are greasy (of course, greasiness works to the inverse of the car's weight. GT3 RS at 3200lb? Greasy tires. Grocery getter that came in from one session and immediately went out again, at 3600lb? Perfect tires!)
-Their aero is set up poorly (I easily avoid this terrible issue as I don't have aero! Problem solved! Who knew tracking was this simple)
-They are sick that weekend (Literal words from more than one person)
-They used the Cup2R Michelin and everyone knows that is much worse than the regularCup2 (of course, we know Michelin develops tires backwards. The Cup2R is really the slow tire, best to stick to the fast ones. Perhaps a Michelin PS2?)
-Their car is really expensive so they are afraid to put it into a wall (but I'd happily bet my life that my M3 represents a much greater portion of my assets than their GT3)
-I've removed my rear seat, so I'm cheating! (Literal comment from a GT3 owner)
-I have DCT and the 991.2 GT3 was 6MT! Because the owner is a purist! So DCT is cheating as well! (Sometimes it's hard to keep a straight face when hearing the words that come out of the mouth of these idiots)
-They aren't really racing (Good, because neither am I! But one must admit it's a little strange to be switching tires every night, or use tire warmers between sessions, or have a mechanic working on your car the whole weekend when it's just a DE... right? )

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 01-19-2021 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 3
elim11423.50
6ixSpd6014.50
      01-19-2021, 05:10 PM   #231
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
It's a combination of things. It can be one or more of these, sometimes all at once. Here are actual excuses they come provide even though I could not care less and stay close to my car without talking to anyone. In parenthesis is my already-listening as they speak their stupidities

-Their alignments are off (yes, because I set up my alignment by jacking the car up at the paddock by bumping the wheels to try to match the marks on the camber plates. And drove 300 miles with the car full of stuff to the track. I'm sure my alignment is a lot better than the trailed cars)
-Their tires are greasy (of course, greasiness works to the inverse of the car's weight. GT3 RS at 3200lb? Greasy tires. Grocery getter that came in from one session and immediately went out again, at 3600lb? Perfect tires!)
-Their aero is set up poorly (I easily avoid this terrible issue as I don't have aero! Problem solved! Who knew tracking was this simple)
-They are sick that weekend (Literal words from more than one person)
-They used the Cup2R Michelin and everyone knows that is much worse than the regularCup2 (of course, we know Michelin develops tires backwards. The Cup2R is really the slow tire, best to stick to the fast ones. Perhaps a Michelin PS2?)
-Their car is really expensive so they are afraid to put it into a wall (but I'd happily bet my life that my M3 represents a much greater portion of my assets than their GT3)
-I've removed my rear seat, so I'm cheating! (Literal comment from a GT3 owner)
-I have DCT and the 991.2 GT3 was 6MT! Because the owner is a purist! So DCT is cheating as well! (Sometimes it's hard to keep a straight face when hearing the words that come out of the mouth of these idiots)
-They aren't really racing (Good, because neither am I! But one must admit it's a little strange to be switching tires every night, or use tire warmers between sessions, or have a mechanic working on your car the whole weekend when it's just a DE... right? )
Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!

The 6MT thing makes me giggle. You do not shift that often at The Glen as your video shows. Some people need to learn how to shift!!! And drive.

Here are some of my laps from a Chump race at around 3AM, in a 5 speed Darker than the inside of a cow with a Fox body mustang with a belligerent light bar right on my ass. 13 gear changes per lap - 70 laps per 2 hour stint. That is 936 gear changes per 2 hour stint or about 11,200 changes in the 24 hour race. No wonder my hands were sore after 4 two hour stints...

And the funny part? We would use ~40L of fuel per stint (~190km). This is around 21L/100km (11USMPG) while full out racing. Bless that little B18B1!!

Anyway, the stroker sounds great! Hope the new one is even better!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50