BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-24-2016, 05:00 PM   #1
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
About a year and a half ago I bought Volk ZE40 in matte blue gunmetal and like plenty others I've had a few careless moment where I curbed them pretty good. Refinishing is out of the question as you will not get an exact color match unless you do all four in which case you won't have the same Volk color. Volk does not sell touch up paint and there's nowhere to go with their distributors since they only sell the wheels. So I had scoured the Internet for touch up options since I wasn't ready to abandon the matte blue just yet by refinishing. And I had quit searching many times and recently posted on here looking for anyone who knows a company that might "one off" a small paint to sample bottle. Got a good recommendation but the minimum volume that they'd sell was way too much. It bothered me so much that all I need is a few ounces of paint!!! I started getting desperate and looking for car paint that was close enough, I mean anything blue was better than raw shiny bare metal on matte blue. There was a few "eh" colors that a desperate man might go for. Luckily I stumbled upon a small bottle of paint that looked spot on! If you search Vallejo gunmetal blue 70.800 it's near identical.the paint is intended for small model figurines and It's for sale on Amazon for ~$4 plus prime 2day shipping. Recieved it last week and it looked great just spent the afternoon cleaning the wheels and brushing it on and I'm thrilled. The paint brushes on easily with no visible brush strokes. It looks a little too light at first but once it dries I'd say it's a 95% match. It claims once dry its waterproof and weatherproof lets just hope it holds up against some heat!
Here's what one wheel looked like before

Wheels weren't yet 100% dry so I expect the paint to darken a blend a little more
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2016, 05:08 PM   #2
dlaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

You should look into filling the scratches with bondo and sanding it down to create the lip again. Once you're happy with it, you can then apply the touch up paint. It'll look just like new again. I did it for one of my wheels it and it was actually a very simple process.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #3
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlaw View Post
You should look into filling the scratches with bondo and sanding it down to create the lip again. Once you're happy with it, you can then apply the touch up paint. It'll look just like new again. I did it for one of my wheels it and it was actually a very simple process.
I was looking at it today and thinking that but I was thinking since the paint isn't an exact match will it look worse making the scratch larger. How did you do yours?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 07:09 PM   #4
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

You don't really need to get all four refinished to match, just two from the same side of the car. That's what my wheel repair shop did when I had the curb damage from the previous owner fixed, though with my last tire purchase the wheels ended up on opposite sides of the car and I can't even tell the difference -- impressive considering that the factory hypersilver is tough to duplicate.
      08-26-2016, 07:36 PM   #5
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
You don't really need to get all four refinished to match, just two from the same side of the car. That's what my wheel repair shop did when I had the curb damage from the previous owner fixed, though with my last tire purchase the wheels ended up on opposite sides of the car and I can't even tell the difference -- impressive considering that the factory hypersilver is tough to duplicate.
Yea that's true I guess I have to now admit 3 of them were curbed a good amount and one had some scuff on the finish
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 10:46 PM   #6
dlaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
I was looking at it today and thinking that but I was thinking since the paint isn't an exact match will it look worse making the scratch larger. How did you do yours?
Mine was easier to match since it was matte black. I taped off the wheel except the part I repaired and just sprayed it after I remolded it with bondo. You can barely tell it was every touched up and filled with bondo unless I pointed it out to you.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 08:59 PM   #7
M3anest
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Alpine White

Sorry for reviving an old thread but thank you so much for posting this. My rims aren't technically scratched outside but while putting my Ultras on, I managed to scratch them a little bit on the inside. This touch up will completely hide them.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 11:23 AM   #8
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Updated pic links
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #9
Throatpunch
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

I found a guy local to me who can match any color. He even matched brushed aluminum on a set of bbs lm lips!
Might be worth a shot to find someone like that.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 03:25 PM   #10
leonwl87
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2

Hi I have the same problem now.

Hi I have the same problem now. Your post saved me. May I ask how the paint looks like now? will the paint drop or something? Can you tell the difference easily? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 04:19 PM   #11
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonwl87 View Post
Hi I have the same problem now. Your post saved me. May I ask how the paint looks like now? will the paint drop or something? Can you tell the difference easily? Thanks!
Wow I forgot about this post, but glad I could help. Since that post I’ve started using metal filler on the edge and then using mini files to smooth and even it all then I’ll use the paint. The paint itself is great, it won’t run or melt on a rim and I’ve used sonax and iron x cleaner and the paint held up fine and honestly once you start driving a bit as soon as the brake dust starts to coat ur wheel it’s really hard to notice where touch up is. The paint is probably a 95% match and obviously you won’t be able to blend it with the existing paint but now I have to really get my face up close to find the touch up
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 11:00 AM   #12
415cpa
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

Thanks for your help on this touch up paint! I just bought some for my wheels.

I came across a gunmetal blue paint(38L) from a Mazda 3. I bought some of it in a touch up pen. Going to see if it's a good match as well. Did you try that mazda paint or no?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 06:20 PM   #13
415cpa
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

Just wanted to post an update here. I went with the Mazda 38L touch paint and it is a 99% percent match. I tried Vallejo one too which was close but the Mazda one is even better.

0000-92-38l is the part number of the touch up pen I purchased.
Appreciate 0