BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

12-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #89
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Astute observation, I also had my MPE replaced for a slight rattle (was only noticed by the person servicing my car who said it sounded like something was loose in the cans). Brought it to BMW and they replaced it no questions asked. Looked underneath and sure enough there is the same "hole" in the cans. Hopefully this will fix the issues. I still absolutely love mine and if it hadn't been for the guy pointing out the rattle then he physically hammered on the cans, I wouldn't have noticed it. At least BMW is stepping up and seem to recognize the flaw and had the manufacturer fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonien View Post
Guys, BMW have made a small change to the MPe exhaust (here in the UK at least),
a bunch of guys bought one on a UK forum and we started noticing that there's a new hole in the box. Some sort of reinforcement?

Whatever it is, its slightly different and hopefully newer models won't crack so easily.

Mine hasn't got that hole!

I love the MPe sound, so at least hopefully if I have to buy another.
It should last longer hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #90
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot297 View Post
Oi oi, those pics look familiar...
Didn't know that you were on here.
Just wanted to share the valuable info around so people
wouldn't avoid such a great exhaust because of the cracking issue. Sorry :/

[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Astute observation, I also had my MPE replaced for a slight rattle (was only noticed by the person servicing my car who said it sounded like something was loose in the cans). Brought it to BMW and they replaced it no questions asked. Looked underneath and sure enough there is the same "hole" in the cans. Hopefully this will fix the issues. I still absolutely love mine and if it hadn't been for the guy pointing out the rattle then he physically hammered on the cans, I wouldn't have noticed it. At least BMW is stepping up and seem to recognise the flaw and had the manufacturer fix it.
Well mine's the old one but also second hand so I won't have the benefit of swapping.
But nice to know they have updated it.
Fingers crossed mine is okay.

But I would likely to buy again cause I love the sound.
      12-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #91
Saandiaago
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP DCT

Love this forum. Based on this thread I discovered the defect that I previously posted and now have a brand new MPE on order courtesy of warranty and dealer!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 11:14 PM   #92
Seattle M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 Comp Pack

Just had mine replaced as well under warranty. It was the new style with the holes as well. Seems they noted a design problem and have moved to address it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 06:36 AM   #93
carrot297
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonien View Post
Didn't know that you were on here.
Just wanted to share the valuable info around so people
wouldn't avoid such a great exhaust because of the cracking issue. Sorry :/

It's cool, just pulling your leg mate.
      12-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #94
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle M3 View Post
Just had mine replaced as well under warranty. It was the new style with the holes as well. Seems they noted a design problem and have moved to address it.
Jealous of you guys. But I'm happy they have done something about it though.
Which means I can get another one if anything happens to this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot297 View Post
It's cool, just pulling your leg mate.
Been running yesterday, they don't need anymore pulling.
      12-09-2014, 11:58 PM   #95
briancl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Anyone able to get their exhaust replaced out of warranty? Running into this issue and it is a pain to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 12:29 AM   #96
Seattle M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancl View Post
Anyone able to get their exhaust replaced out of warranty? Running into this issue and it is a pain to deal with.
According to the warranty document you get with the exhaust. It is warrantied while the vehicle is still under its 4/50k warranty or 2 years from the purchase date.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 03:11 AM   #97
ki_daniel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine White F80 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancl View Post
just got mine replaced and it's the updated version

debated on selling so I didn't have to worry about it with my test pipes but I think I'm gonna stick with it since I still believe it's the best sounding combo

Seems bias, but I do wish it was a tad bit louder with more gains in power
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #98
b-thumper
Atlantic != Atlantis
United_States
Rep
Drives: German Cars

Ad me to the list of broken MPE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
OP. Was the sound similar to a Ferrari at high RPM? Because a few weeks ago when my MPE gets hot around 3800 it buzzes, sounds really good but I'm starting to think something may be wrong..
I had the same symptom and it turns out there was a cracked/loose baffle in my MPE. Exhaust didn't even go 12 months and 3,000miles before cracking.

Dealer is covering it under warranty.
      12-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #99
AMG_LAWL
E92 M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: (2) E92 M3's & F30 320i

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
I see scratches on the exhaust, are you sure you didn't hit it?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 08:00 AM   #100
GideonPops
Rep
Drives: At nite

I just noticed the same exact defect in mine. Unfortunately, I have had mine >2 years and over 50000 miles. The rattle at 2-2.2k is maddening. Has anyone tried to have them repaired?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #101
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

This happens a lot. The BMW Performance exhaust for the E9x series is probably one of the worst buys for this car. It sounds okay, but you can duplicate the sound with a $150 bypass mod. It does nothing to remove the giant goiter-looking mufflers, and it saves weight by being so thin, they crack/split all the time. What's worse, you can't even really pair it with a mid-section without ending up with a raspy, awful mess of a sound.

MPE = worst exhaust for this car, including stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #102
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy
This happens a lot. The BMW Performance exhaust for the E9x series is probably one of the worst buys for this car. It sounds okay, but you can duplicate the sound with a $150 bypass mod. It does nothing to remove the giant goiter-looking mufflers, and it saves weight by being so thin, they crack/split all the time. What's worse, you can't even really pair it with a mid-section without ending up with a raspy, awful mess of a sound.

Paired with test pipes!

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #103
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 04:21 PM   #104
MFL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
Man, I don't see how you gave up your Corsa. I'm on to the black chrome tipped version now.

The only thing I'd consider instead of the Corsa is Eisenmann Race if it wasn't my daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #105
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFL View Post
Man, I don't see how you gave up your Corsa. I'm on to the black chrome tipped version now.

The only thing I'd consider instead of the Corsa is Eisenmann Race if it wasn't my daily driver.
Cool! Glad you're still digging the Corsa!

I've had the E. Race too, loved it but I'm a zero drone fan. The MPE still reign's king, it's all about the nuance's/character that only the MPE deliver's. Absolutely the best exhaust I've found paired with the S65. The Corsa is a close 2nd...exhausts, like a lot of things are just so subjective.

There are a few other's I'd like to try but I'm good after trying half a dozen.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #106
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Not sure if you guys have seen my vid before?
Evolve test pipe + M perf
No drone, quiet like stock.
But mega under WOT.Complete opposite to my previous full akra
Loud and bassy idle, quieter at full throttle.

This is much better!

01-01-2015, 07:06 PM   #107
myBailey07
Live Hard. Live Fast. Live Fearless. Be Kind
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

2nd MPE Cracked

Car is at dealer with 2nd MPE cracked at the exact same spots on both mufflers as depicted in other folks' pics. They'll cover under warranty, but dang, this is the second one that cracked in less than 6 months in those exact spots. Completely stock engine and exhaust system. Ugh!!!

I want to put test pipes on mine, but with two cracked already I don't want to chance it as it will give dealer a reason to reject the warranty claim when (not if) the third one cracks...

It sounds soooo nice without cracks....

BTW, more seriously, I showed them the pics of the one with the new holes in it as well as what seems to be the updated part number. I hope that's the one they order for me and that it is indeed an update available here. I'm a mechanical/industrial engineer and it's clear to me that the cracks are metal stress fractures. That new hole is a stress release hole, a typical way to relieve metal stress in a high stress area.

Last edited by myBailey07; 01-01-2015 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: Missed info
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 07:37 AM   #108
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBailey07 View Post
BTW, more seriously, I showed them the pics of the one with the new holes in it as well as what seems to be the updated part number. I hope that's the one they order for me and that it is indeed an update available here. I'm a mechanical/industrial engineer and it's clear to me that the cracks are metal stress fractures. That new hole is a stress release hole, a typical way to relieve metal stress in a high stress area.
Please post back with the outcome and whether they can get you the updated/new part. I imagine there are still a supply of the old style, but if I were you, I would insist on the updated model.

Regards,
Chuck
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 05:15 AM   #109
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Coupe

Is that the only place that it cracks? My MPE seems to have developed a raspy sound around 3K but goes away below or above that. I checked the cans and there do not seem to be any crackes there. I am suspecting maybe one of the clamps got loose but will need to get the car up to inspect.
2018 GT3
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 02:44 PM   #110
myBailey07
Live Hard. Live Fast. Live Fearless. Be Kind
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Please post back with the outcome and whether they can get you the updated/new part. I imagine there are still a supply of the old style, but if I were you, I would insist on the updated model.

Regards,
Chuck
Just closing the loop. Finally got my replacement exhaust in from BMW and installed by the dealer under warranty. (As described above this was my second MPE that cracked as described in this thread). Anyway, the new one that was installed IS the updated model from BMW with the stress holes in the area where they tend crack. It seems as the issue was now appropriately addressed by BMW.

I would strongly recommend anyone buying a MPE, or replacing it, make sure they get the updated version with the stress holes. It is an AWESOME sounding exhaust and looks good to; however, dealing with the cracks on the older version was a major pain in the rear.
Appreciate 1