BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

05-12-2019, 08:38 PM   #1
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Value of 2013 e92 with 4.6L stroker engine from RDsport?

Since my engine blew last week, I'm trying to evaluate my options for replacing it before selling the car. I've already bought another car, so the engine chosen will be of no use to me. There is a forum member selling a RDsport 4.6L stroker complete engine, but I have no idea what the car would be worth with that engine installed.

I know I can probably get $6-8k for the Gintani supercharger that's currently on the car if I take it off. Has anyone seen any relatively recent sales for a car with a stroker engine and know what kind of premium it might bring over a regular engine? Seller said the engine package cost $38k from RDsport, not sure what exactly that $38k included such as additional exhaust parts, or if that was just for the stroker conversion. The engine has 60k miles on it, 30k since the conversion. My car has 59k miles on the body.

You can see my original sale ad here for more info on the car - https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1602457

I don't want to spend the extra money if it won't return additional value, but it seems that it would for the right buyer. Plus it would be fucking amazing, so there's that too. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 08:48 PM   #2
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

30k on a stroker motor... I'd pass

What about contacting mike BPMSport he's got a great motor for sale, has had it for a while.
      05-12-2019, 09:25 PM   #3
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post

What about contacting mike BPMSport he's got a great motor for sale, has had it for a while.
Is 30k on a stroker a lot? Shouldn’t it be more reliable with forged internals?

I have talked to mike about his engine but just exploring all options. I think his also doesn’t have some things like the engine cover that I’d have to buy. My engine had the gintani cover on it which would be sold with the supercharger if I take it off.

Last edited by dgoldenz; 05-12-2019 at 10:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 09:38 PM   #4
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post

Is $30k on a stroker a lot? Shouldn’t it be more reliable with forged internals?

I have talked to mike about his engine but just exploring all options. I think his also doesn’t have some things like the engine cover that I’d have to buy. My engine had the gintani cover on it which would be sold with the supercharger if I take it off.
Yeah it's not the internals I'd worry about, it's the block. That cylinder displacement makes for thin cylinder walls. Plus you need a low compression build if you are gonna keep the supercharger. There was a guy out of Texas selling a purpose built low compression motor a few months ago, haven't seen in it around lately though so he probably sold it. If your gonna go for the 4.6 stroker I wouldn't put the supercharger back on. You should also get in touch with a few of the engine builders on the forums and ask for their opinions but I believe a 4.6 stroker typically live a shorter life..
      05-12-2019, 11:24 PM   #5
Green-Eggs
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Since my engine blew last week, I'm trying to evaluate my options for replacing it before selling the car. I've already bought another car, so the engine chosen will be of no use to me. There is a forum member selling a RDsport 4.6L stroker complete engine, but I have no idea what the car would be worth with that engine installed.

I know I can probably get $6-8k for the Gintani supercharger that's currently on the car if I take it off. Has anyone seen any relatively recent sales for a car with a stroker engine and know what kind of premium it might bring over a regular engine? Seller said the engine package cost $38k from RDsport, not sure what exactly that $38k included such as additional exhaust parts, or if that was just for the stroker conversion. The engine has 60k miles on it, 30k since the conversion. My car has 59k miles on the body.

You can see my original sale ad here for more info on the car - https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1602457

I don't want to spend the extra money if it won't return additional value, but it seems that it would for the right buyer. Plus it would be fucking amazing, so there's that too. Any ideas?
Our shop was involved with the RD Sport stroker motors. We might have (probably) built this motor. Who was the owner? I might have more details, maybe even able to get a dyno sheet from Bert @ BE.

Unlike the Dinan strokers who went with 94mm bores, the RD Sport strokers went with 93mm bores. Factory is 92mm. So I disagree with the comment about the cylinder walls being too thin on the 93mm bores. I also disagree that they would live a shorter life.

As others have said, you don't want to put the supercharger on the stroker motor. If you do, you're entering a whole new level of expenses for the fuel system and tune to make it work right. Since you're trying to sell the car, that would be the wrong approach.

A used non-stroker would cost about $6-8k. The used stroker should cost you about $12k. The extra value to the car would be about $4k IMO. So best case, it's a break-even proposition.
Appreciate 3
SAMM3Y3085.00
wfdeacon881105.00
SVH152.00
      05-13-2019, 12:42 AM   #6
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Eggs View Post
Our shop was involved with the RD Sport stroker motors. We might have (probably) built this motor. Who was the owner? I might have more details, maybe even able to get a dyno sheet from Bert @ BE.

Unlike the Dinan strokers who went with 94mm bores, the RD Sport strokers went with 93mm bores. Factory is 92mm. So I disagree with the comment about the cylinder walls being too thin on the 93mm bores. I also disagree that they would live a shorter life.

As others have said, you don't want to put the supercharger on the stroker motor. If you do, you're entering a whole new level of expenses for the fuel system and tune to make it work right. Since you're trying to sell the car, that would be the wrong approach.

A used non-stroker would cost about $6-8k. The used stroker should cost you about $12k. The extra value to the car would be about $4k IMO. So best case, it's a break-even proposition.
Thanks, this is helpful. Vladm3 is the forum member, don't know his real name. If it's only worth an extra ~$4k on resale I'd probably just go the safer route and use a stock engine then. If I do the stroker I would not put the supercharger on it, I would want to sell that separately to recoup some of the cost. I'll probably end up selling the SC either way.
Appreciate 0