BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

BPM

04-08-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
Crazy_Diamond
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 EFI Tuned VF43 WRX

Planning to order soon!

Hi all,

I plan on ordering a coupe for European delivery. I'm 100% sure on three things: color (space gray), interior (black cloth), and transmission (6MT). But please help me decide on the other options. Mainly, I can't figure out if I should get the tech package or not. I feel like the EDC would be useful to have, especially since I plan on getting a SC once the warranty is up, and the tighter sport setting would add a layer of safety w/ the added power. But EDC alone is $1k, so I feel like I'm shelling out another $2k for M drive. (I don't care for the GPS and keyless entry features.) So is M drive worth the extra $2k, when any SC will likely require after-market engine remapping anyway?

Finally, I was planning to order in Nov or Dec, in hopes of a good financing deal, and pick the car up in April of 2011. But now I'm concerned that if I wait that long I won't be able to get the 2011 model. Which may be the last of the V8s? If 2011 is the last of the V8s and Nov or Dec is too late, I'll be placing the order this month for July pickup.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 02:21 AM   #2
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

You say that the engine has to be remapped anyways for an SC... that has nothing to do with M Drive. M Drive does not affect the ECU tune, only Steering, Suspension, Stability control, and Throttle sensitivity.

Tech is definitely a must have... M Drive allows for much quicker settings adjustments and you will enjoy MDM mode if you plan to get an SC. It will give you enough leeway to enjoy the car without worrying about getting too out of shape. With DSC fully on, you will be cutting power everywhere.

Remember you also get more throttle adjustability with Sport Plus and a Sport steering setting with Tech. Those settings are not obtainable without the package.

If you were just going to get EDC alone, consider just adding coilovers later on.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 04:47 AM   #3
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

You only ever regret ordering too few options...never too many.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
Crazy_Diamond
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
You say that the engine has to be remapped anyways for an SC... that has nothing to do with M Drive. M Drive does not affect the ECU tune, only Steering, Suspension, Stability control, and Throttle sensitivity.

Tech is definitely a must have... M Drive allows for much quicker settings adjustments and you will enjoy MDM mode if you plan to get an SC. It will give you enough leeway to enjoy the car without worrying about getting too out of shape. With DSC fully on, you will be cutting power everywhere.

Remember you also get more throttle adjustability with Sport Plus and a Sport steering setting with Tech. Those settings are not obtainable without the package.

If you were just going to get EDC alone, consider just adding coilovers later on.
Thanks for the feedback. My comment about the engine mapping comes from experience w/ Subarus. For instance, you wouldn't choose a factory option for an aggressive tune on your WRX, if you knew ahead of time that you'd install an STI turbo and have the car retuned on a dyno anyway. But it seems that M drive is much more sophisticated than simple engine mapping.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
Crazy_Diamond
Private
Rep

Anyone know when the 2011 will no longer be available for order and European delivery?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2010, 06:28 AM   #6
BMW-NC
Selling drugs to BMW addicts
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i e82 6MT N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Diamond View Post
Anyone know when the 2011 will no longer be available for order and European delivery?
I think it will be around until sept 2011 before going into 2012, or next March...
      04-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
Crazy_Diamond
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-NC View Post
I think it will be around until sept 2011 before going into 2012, or next March...
So there IS going to be a 2012 model year M3 w/ the V8 engine?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
BMWDavid
United_States
Rep
Drives: MSport F30

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 Sedan  [0.00]
2005(sold but not f ...  [10.00]
2006 X3  [0.00]
1984 633csi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Diamond View Post
So there IS going to be a 2012 model year M3 w/ the V8 engine?
The e9x M3 should run the traditional 7 year cycle (2008 +7 yrs). I haven't heard about an engine change for the M3. The e36 displacement went from a 3.0 to a 3.2, but there was no change for the e46. The original start for production on the ZCP on the e46 was 12/04. There were modifications to the steering ratio, interior features, wheels, DSC, brakes, and suspension, but not the engine. I am sure BMW will keep the engine the same for the e9x generation.
      04-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
Crazy_Diamond
Private
Rep

Am I missing something?

What's up with these dealers? I e-mailed one of the bigger ones in the Boston area, saying I'd like to order a 2011 E92 in space grey w/ no other options through them for Euro delivery, and that I'd like to stick to $51K as much as possible. Not even the courtesy of a response! And these were the same people who were so prompt to respond when I first reached out to them about buying a car from them. I thought $51K is a good starting point for negotiating a good price, since people are paying $500 to $1000 over invoice. Am I missing something here?
Appreciate 0