BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

09-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #1
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

dashboard swap e93, is it possible?!

Hi guys,

I'm thinking to buy an e93 M3 for my next project/weekend car;
I don't really like the dashboard with OEM navigation so my plan is to by a simple dashboard from ebay, like this one:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RB4AA...Uw/s-l1600.jpg

cut it to fit this good looking navi from AVIN:
https://avinusa.com/10-25-bmw-3-seri...on-system.html

wrap it in leather (there is a guy here that did this and it looks awesome!)

and swap it.

Do you see any issues with this?

I'm not sure yet that the non-navigation dashboard can we swapped with the navigation one...

Last edited by fbuzila; 09-19-2018 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 12:29 PM   #2
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep

I think it is; found this related:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/attach...6&d=1453530332
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #3
AWE90M3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 ZCP

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [10.00]
I think this falls into the "it's possible, but why" category.

If you buy the car with the factory nav you can replace it with the 8.8 inch Avin version that drops right into the center hump.

https://avinusa.com/8-8-bmw-3-series...on-system.html

If you buy the car with no nav, you don't need to buy an ebay dash, you can cut the factory one up in your car. But I'm pretty sure you need at least some of the factory nav wiring, some combox's in the trunk, along with coding it all in to function correctly (I have no clue whats involved). Seems like a lot of work to get an extra 2 inches of screen over the 8.8 inch version.

There's a few other videos about it as well if you want to search youtube.

I wanted to get Apple Carplay and Android Auto in my car as well, but I've read mixed reviews on the Avin units overall as far as sound quality and having to use the aux for sound. So for now I'm holding out until hopefully something better comes along or they update the Avin units.

Just my .02 cents, but good luck either way.
ZCP | ZTP | ZCW | DCT | Alpine White | Black Novillo | RKP/IND Carbon Fiber Roof | BMW Performance Rear Spoiler | Eisenmann Race | Turner Test Pipes | BPM Sport Stage 2 Dev Tune | BPM Sport Coding | Macht Schnell Filter | 3M Film | LuxAngelEyes
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #4
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWE90M3 View Post
I think this falls into the "it's possible, but why" category.

If you buy the car with the factory nav you can replace it with the 8.8 inch Avin version that drops right into the center hump.

https://avinusa.com/8-8-bmw-3-series...on-system.html

If you buy the car with no nav, you don't need to buy an ebay dash, you can cut the factory one up in your car. But I'm pretty sure you need at least some of the factory nav wiring, some combox's in the trunk, along with coding it all in to function correctly (I have no clue whats involved). Seems like a lot of work to get an extra 2 inches of screen over the 8.8 inch version.

There's a few other videos about it as well if you want to search youtube.

I wanted to get Apple Carplay and Android Auto in my car as well, but I've read mixed reviews on the Avin units overall as far as sound quality and having to use the aux for sound. So for now I'm holding out until hopefully something better comes along or they update the Avin units.

Just my .02 cents, but good luck either way.
I agree with you, but I have to remove the dashboard anyway to wrap it in leather (I really like the leather dashboard look on my X6M)
And I don't really like that center bump, I like more the F-look series.
(in case you wondering why I'm not looking into Fx M4 model, the reason is V8
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWE90M3 View Post
The Bluetooth "aux" audio is trash with avin headunit but if you use a USB for audio its the same as what factory is. I have the avin headunit and it's not terrible. Has some quirks but its livable. The android OS that comes with the headunit is great because the android store has tons of good apps to track real time information of what your car is doing.