BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

03-14-2020, 07:47 PM   #1
Joshbot007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen Blue M3

Upgraded/Stiffer Motor Mounts in DCT?

I am getting BE bearings in my car next month along with new motor mounts. Originally I was going to go with stock mounts but I learned of Vibra-Technics and the love they seem to receive on this forum. A lot of people say it improves the feel of the car but are these 6MT owners and not DCT owners? I understand a "feel" improvement using stiffer mounts in a stick car as I have put stiffer mounts in my other stick cars with positive benefits but fail to see the benefit with a DCT. Could it be that there is less engine twisting and therefor better power being put to the ground or is there no realistic benefit to using stiffer mounts in a DCT car?

Aftermarket motor mount DCT owners please comment!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 07:52 PM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

the transmission type has little effect on motor mount feel. the oem transmission mounts are sufficient and it isn't recommended to mess with transmission mounts unless its a full racecar as it adds significant noise and harshness.

i have a dct car with the vibratechnics road going mounts and they have been great. they have been lasting and feel great. the benefit is a longer lasting mount. there probably isn't a distinguishing difference between new oem mounts and vibra mounts, but the vibra mounts last longer. i would even theorize added benefit of virba mounts is simply realized because going from trashed oem mounts to a nice mount is noticeable. it doesn't "transform" the car- its more of a restoration of how it should feel.

Last edited by roastbeef; 03-14-2020 at 08:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 08:51 PM   #3
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

I've run these mounts for the last 60K miles and they are excellent. My car sees daily use and significant track time as well. Adds just a little bit of vibration through the steering wheel and drive train but not bad.

When you first install them you will think you made a big mistake but they smooth out after a few hundred (at least 500) miles.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Engine/E...Mount-Set.html
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 10:09 PM   #4
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

On Vibra-Technics after my stock mounts died after only 35k kms. No complaints but haven't had them long enough to comment on longevity yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 07:40 PM   #5
Joshbot007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
the transmission type has little effect on motor mount feel. the oem transmission mounts are sufficient and it isn't recommended to mess with transmission mounts unless its a full racecar as it adds significant noise and harshness.

i have a dct car with the vibratechnics road going mounts and they have been great. they have been lasting and feel great. the benefit is a longer lasting mount. there probably isn't a distinguishing difference between new oem mounts and vibra mounts, but the vibra mounts last longer. i would even theorize added benefit of virba mounts is simply realized because going from trashed oem mounts to a nice mount is noticeable. it doesn't "transform" the car- its more of a restoration of how it should feel.
Thank you all for the responses. Maybe I should have elaborated on what I meant by the “feel”. What I meant by that is when I put stiffer motor mounts in stick cars the shifter feel is improved such that it makes gears easier to find and provides better feedback through the shifter itself hence why I was asking what would be the benefit to adding these to a DCT car where you get every gear with the pull of a paddle. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 08:21 PM   #6
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

Wish they did another VT group buy so I can get them for my current m3 because they were great on my last e92
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 09:53 AM   #7
Mr_Reeves
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I have the installed the Bimmerworld mounts like VictorH above and there is a little bit of vibration when manoeuvring the car at low speed but it disappears completely once on the move.

I'm not sure if I can comment on them giving a more 'direct' feeling as I had solid subframe mounts fitted at the same time but the front end definitely feels more precise now and the whole car feels more aggressive.

If you track your car or you only use it at weekends then I would say that it is worth it but if you daily your car then I would recommend that you just change them for new stock mounts.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 05:45 PM   #8
ivan.m3
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3

Vibra Technics FTW!
I've been running them on my DCT E92 for about 6 months, and no noticeable NVH.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 09:37 AM   #9
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.m3 View Post
Vibra Technics FTW!
I've been running them on my DCT E92 for about 6 months, and no noticeable NVH.
+1 I've had great experience with vibra Technic mounts.
Appreciate 0