BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

10-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #1
750lxi
Rep
Drives: 750Li

Street Parking Argument with Nasty Neighbor

Please help with the following:

I live in an apartment building on a corner at the beginning of a dead end road. The dead end is only wide enough for one lane of traffic and one row of parking. The road has space for 5 parked cars, and to take one of the spots you need to go to the end of the road and turn around, as the spots are facing out, towards where you enter.

Anyway, I entered the dead end, go to the end to turn around, and once done turning around, I see another car, the car of a neighbor, in the lane of traffic stopped across from the open spot. He hadn't been there a second ago, as I wouldn't have been able to pass otherwise, so he was behind me as I entered the dead end.

I pull into the spot and he asks me to roll down my window. He then asks if I'm taking the spot, which I say yes. He said he was there first and I said what are you talking about, you're in the road and I was turning around to take the spot, I was here first. He said you know what you did, I said I don't care what you think I did, but I didn't steal the spot from you.

He then states I should be careful, as I'm very close to a fire hydrant. I say, if you want to play that game, feel free to park here any other time as well. (While there's space for two cars, one of which being somewhat close to the hydrant, there's still far sufficient room around the hydrant and people park there all the time, never having any tickets.)

After continued arguing, I finish parking, get out of my car and he continues down the road to turn around at the end of the dead end. Note his home is directly across from the spot we were arguing over.

The next day I now see he's taking up two of the spots, as he's parking between the one further from the hydrant and the one closer to it, such that if someone were to park behind him now, they'd be too close to the hydrant. There are no lines on the ground indicating spots, just a residential street.

What should I do next I see him? I want to be sure to give him a piece of my mind. He's now taking up two spots like an ass in retaliation of our altercation. There are 7 or so homes on the block plus my apartment building, which has 18 or so units, so parking is at a real premium. Any thoughts on how I should proceed?

Thinking to knock on the doors of the other homes to speak to the homeowners about this prick, as they've been his neighbor longer than I, but wondering what I should say to him directly should I see him.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 03:44 PM   #2
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

You'll play this game until either of you moves out.

You may give him a piece of your mind, but since you haven't before, shows you may be an internet hero. Doing that will just escalate your circumstances to a worse degree.
Appreciate 6
GuidoK10473.00
eluded2959.00
Kyngofpop676.00
wrickem2101.00
Sea-Tac1451.50
      10-06-2018, 03:50 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

You need to be patient - I find that when people are continually stupid sooner or later they get what they deserve.

I don't know what your parking alternatives are, but in the short term I would forget about it. Usually if someone parks like a ass often enough sooner or later someone will mess with the vehicle.

I would never start with someone if my car were exposed to retribution.
Appreciate 10
________4157.00
DETRoadster11446.00
xander_g967.00
King Rudi13152.00
No one1029.50
Fritzer942.50
      10-06-2018, 04:02 PM   #4
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

If you confront him or talk to the neighbors and make a huge deal out of it, suddenly you are #1 suspect if someone decides to retaliate agains the guy. He's a dick. No law against being a dick. He's also a homeowner who is financially invested in his place and is probably ticked off that he has to fight for parking in front of the house he paid for, in competition with an endless cycle of apartment dwellers who have no vested interest in the neighborhood.

I say, be the bigger man and just let it go. Te guy obviously is a miserable person and you getting in his face is not going to change that.
Appreciate 5
King Rudi13152.00
2000cs3450.00
wrickem2101.00
MKSixer34171.50
Sea-Tac1451.50
      10-06-2018, 04:07 PM   #5
S63tu919
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Go over there and apologize immediately if you're seeking any type of real resolution. Or the very next time you see him.

The reason I recommended an apology is, it's no longer an issue of who's right or who's wrong. It's now an issue of just doing the right thing.

It seems like a misunderstanding. Also if things were fine prior to the altercation and you were content with the parking situation before, an apology is the only way to start any type of dialect.

The next time you see him.... he's going to want to give you a piece of his mind.... and things can escalate. So an apology immediately diffuses the situation., and opens the door to a resolution.....
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      10-06-2018, 04:10 PM   #6
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
You could buy a very inexpensive car like an old Toyota Corolla and take a day off while he’s at work and park it there. Since you don’t really need to drive it, just let it stay parked there. Nothing wrong or illegal with that. You both will have to park a little further away. If he does anything to the car, you won’t care. He will also have to look out his window and see the eyesore.
Appreciate 4
Hawkeye2069.50
smeard136.00
unluky7465.00
      10-06-2018, 04:17 PM   #7
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Burn his car to the ground and write your name on the spot

Best thing is to forget about it. Even an apology would make the guy think your a push over and he will continue being an ass anyways.

Just keep parking like you always have.

I live in an apartment and I pay for my spot that is numbered and people still park in my spot that don’t live here. Makes me crazy but nothing I can do about it.

Any type of retaliation or escalation of the situation could result in your car being damaged or having to worry all the time that something will happen to your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 04:53 PM   #8
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
You need to be patient - I find that when people are continually stupid sooner or later they get what they deserve.

I don't know what your parking alternatives are, but in the short term I would forget about it. Usually if someone parks like a ass often enough sooner or later someone will mess with the vehicle.

I would never start with someone if my car were exposed to retribution.
One of the rules to live by.

As for the OP, this is the time to be the bigger man. Go knock on the guy's door, apologize, have a beer/scotch/etc with the guy, and try to resolve the situation peacefully. Time will go by, you will gain his trust and learn his weaknesses, when the opportunity presents itself and it will, you will crush him.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      10-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #9
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

I rather enjoy the varying opinions in this community. Everything from buy him a drink to be patient and crush him....and to think admission isn't even charged.

I agree with the comment made about him being a home owner and being financially invested. Nothing against you OP but put yourself in his shoes. His residence is a bit more permanent and you have to consider how many occupants before you that he has had this battle with. My suggestion would be to walk away. If you try to resolve the issue peacefully he has two options. 1. He could be a prick about it, thus frustrating you more - he feels like he wins. 2. Be a gentleman and resolve the issue peacefully - he still wins because ultimately he has determined the outcome. If you do nothing, say nothing and simply move on with you life with no emotional involvement then you win. Regardless of how he acts from this point on, if it doesn't bother you then his efforts are vain. Nothing frustrates people more than to realize that no matter how hard they try to upset you, you remain a gentleman and completely unaffected by his childish antics.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Appreciate 3
________4157.00
xander_g967.00
Sea-Tac1451.50
      10-06-2018, 07:16 PM   #10
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

never major in minor things, just let it go.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 5
King Rudi13152.00
SakhirM410783.00
xander_g967.00
MKSixer34171.50
      10-06-2018, 08:19 PM   #11
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

few things have the potential for disaster than a feud with a neighbor. talk to him face to face and say, look, let's bury this and make an effort to get along. no one will win if we escalate this.

then visit some gypsies and have them lay their worst curse on him
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      10-06-2018, 10:07 PM   #12
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Great advice here. I would definitely apologize and admit wrong. Get things back to "normal" and about a month later toss a giant boulder through his cars rear window.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
Haywood3098.50
      10-07-2018, 11:53 AM   #13
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
I pay for my spot that is numbered and people still park in my spot that don’t live here. Makes me crazy but nothing I can do about it.
Can't you stop paying or get those who charge solve it? What do you pay for then? (Just incidentally, there are parking blockers as the cheapest solution, perhaps.)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 12:00 PM   #14
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
If you confront him or talk to the neighbors and make a huge deal out of it, suddenly you are #1 suspect if someone decides to retaliate agains the guy. He's a dick. No law against being a dick.
I say, be the bigger man and just let it go. Te guy obviously is a miserable person and you getting in his face is not going to change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
He's also a homeowner who is financially invested in his place and is probably ticked off that he has to fight for parking in front of the house he paid for, in competition with an endless cycle of apartment dwellers who have no vested interest in the neighborhood.
Not an excuse! You either own a spot (garage if you're "smart" enough ) or you don't.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 12:11 PM   #15
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Can't you stop paying or get those who charge solve it? What do you pay for then? (Just incidentally, there are parking blockers as the cheapest solution, perhaps.)
90% of the time I don’t have issues. I does suck and the staples are numbered.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #16
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
street parking is public to any1 even if its in front of your property.
why is he parking on the streets? you cant block parking spot or claim it lol
his house doesnt have a driveway/garage?
Appreciate 3
are0lies4180.50
Kyngofpop676.00
      10-08-2018, 09:17 AM   #17
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
I had a parking altercation with my neighbor although the situation was a bit different....in any event it’s no fun and I still have a feeling that there is some loathing even though I was in the right.

Best for you is to just let it go or confront him, apologize and ask to move on.

I also heard screws are mans best friend
      10-08-2018, 09:42 AM   #18
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Am I really the first person to wonder why someone who is driving a 750L is living in an apartment with no assigned parking or a garage? Seriously man, it's not like you live in Manhattan.

All jokes aside, the last thing you want is a continuous squabble with a neighbor. It really impacts your quality of life when you have to stress about coming home each day.

I would just let it go, and odds are the issue will pass within the next week or so. If he is someone who doesn't let things go and continues being a jerk, then I would agree with the above posters who said to just go over and apologize, even if you don't fee you were wrong. You would be surprised at how well things can turn out, when you are just the bigger person.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #19
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Expose a bit of the dirt under the grass by the curb then high pressure blast the dirt to splash muddy water everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 10:10 AM   #20
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Let it go. But do not apologize. Park there when it is open, and blow it off when he's a jerk and takes 2 spots. Remember, when he does that he's not just pissing you off, he's pissing off everyone else who lives near you and may want to park there. Let him deal with the fall out.
Appreciate 3
Sea-Tac1451.50
Darth One6612.50
      10-08-2018, 10:26 AM   #21
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
The incident is over now. Its past. Let it go, Keep in mind even though it was a minor encounter It is still road rage.

If a confrontation happens again with the same party in question walk away if it is safe to do so. If not stay in your locked car. Call the police. They will handle the situation for you and be very effective about.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #22
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Remember, when he does that he's not just pissing you off, he's pissing off everyone else who lives near you and may want to park there. Let him deal with the fall out.
agree with this. a jerk can't help but be a jerk to everyone. and everyone needs their neighbors. i can't understand why people don't understand this.

i've really tried to be on good terms with my neighbors - in return, they've trimmed their trees so they don't drop stuff on my cars, run errands for me, closed my garage door when i stupidly leave it open overnight, even call me frantically on my cell phone the one time my water main broke and they saw water flooding out of my house. it's great.

on the other hand, we used to have a lady who lived alone who was a total shit to everyone on our street. i felt she singled me out and would actually confront me for every little thing we did that she didn't like. well, when Hurricane Wilma threatened south Florida, we discovered that i was the only one who had a ladder that could reach second story windows. so after i put up my shutters, i took my ladder and helped every single one of my neighbors put up their shutters except one. fuck her and let the wind carry her away like the witch she is
Appreciate 3