BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

08-15-2018, 09:42 PM   #221
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech6638 View Post
Hope this thread is still alive. I have a question. So I've been in the market for an e92 now for the past 3 months and I've finally found one, for a great price. Most importantly, it's a one owner car with all maintenance records in hand. I've seen the car in person, runs and looks great, but after getting a PPI done on the vehicle, there was leakage found on both the lower and side pan of the DCT transmission. It is the only issue that the shop found with the vehicle, other than some upcoming maintenance services. After going through this thread regarding DCT leakage, it seems like it is a common issue, but also possibly a concerning and a recurring one. Should I make the purchase or pass on it, if it's that big of a problem and not worth dealing with. Also, this would be the second time that the lower pan was leaking. Last time it was replaced about a year ago, according to the maintenance records.
Buy the car. DCT leak is a common thing that even happens to cars as low as 10k miles I've seen. Don't let it stop you from getting the car you want!
As long as the car does not have transmission lights showing, and it drives fine, you shouldn't have any problems. Just replace the gaskets and top-up the fluids after you get the car.
      08-16-2018, 07:18 PM   #222
tech6638
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
If the car is what you want don't let the sipping DCT stop you. As you've read its (unfortunately) a very common issue so if DCT is your thing it can be tricky to find a "dry" car. Grab the car, obviously assuming you have repair cost reasonably tracked and within overall budget.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
Buy the car. DCT leak is a common thing that even happens to cars as low as 10k miles I've seen. Don't let it stop you from getting the car you want!
As long as the car does not have transmission lights showing, and it drives fine, you shouldn't have any problems. Just replace the gaskets and top-up the fluids after you get the car.

Thanks guys for the input. After thinking about it for the last couple days, I have decided to move forward and purchase the e92. I've already spoken with the seller and we managed to agree on a deal for the car. I realize that the sipping/leakage on the lower and side pan is common on DCT transmissions, but it should not keep me from owning one. I will of course monitor it through out my ownership and take any steps I need to take in order to avoid any major issues and to keep the car running strong. I appreciate your guys' opinions and I'm excited to finally be an e9x M3 owner. Thanks.
Appreciate 1
Space Fox1042.00
      08-17-2018, 07:30 PM   #223
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys for the input. After thinking about it for the last couple days, I have decided to move forward and purchase the e92. I've already spoken with the seller and we managed to agree on a deal for the car. I realize that the sipping/leakage on the lower and side pan is common on DCT transmissions, but it should not keep me from owning one. I will of course monitor it through out my ownership and take any steps I need to take in order to avoid any major issues and to keep the car running strong. I appreciate your guys' opinions and I'm excited to finally be an e9x M3 owner. Thanks.
Congrats! You won't have a problem if you monitor the car's leak and do the repair sometime down the road, the DCT transmission is otherwise bulletproof.
      08-18-2018, 05:22 AM   #224
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Good man. Don't forget to post pics once home safe!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 10:47 PM   #225
KillBill999
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3

Just ordered the Wortec Pan....anybody have this installed?....Feedback? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 11:13 PM   #226
CactusMcGee
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: r32 GTR

Hey Bill, did you get your wortec pan installed yet. I am debating on pulling the trigger on it. Any update?
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2018, 11:17 PM   #227
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Not an M3, but 135i with the same transmission as you guys. My car is higher mileage (70k+), saw the dct pan leaking and changed the gasket, flushed the fluid. Nice $200 service. At the same time I cleaned the undertray and degreased EVERYTHING down there. 3 weeks later I check under the car tonight to see if it's leaking and the pan is now getting fluid and I can see it dripping from the mechatronics unit. Out of warranty now let's see who I can pay under the table to get this stupid sh*t fixed. and no it wasn't leaking the first time...
2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #228
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
Not an M3, but 135i with the same transmission as you guys. My car is higher mileage (70k+), saw the dct pan leaking and changed the gasket, flushed the fluid. Nice $200 service. At the same time I cleaned the undertray and degreased EVERYTHING down there. 3 weeks later I check under the car tonight to see if it's leaking and the pan is now getting fluid and I can see it dripping from the mechatronics unit. Out of warranty now let's see who I can pay under the table to get this stupid sh*t fixed. and no it wasn't leaking the first time...
Same DCT unit.
Mechatronics gasket fails always.
      10-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #229
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
Quote:
Same DCT unit.
Mechatronics gasket fails always.
Yeah, gonna go to my local SoCal dealers and see if they can get BMW NA to cover it as a goodwill even though I'm out of warranty. This is f*ing ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 06:28 PM   #230
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, gonna go to my local SoCal dealers and see if they can get BMW NA to cover it as a goodwill even though I'm out of warranty. This is f*ing ridiculous.
I try to do that with BMW Canada but they denied my claim and pushed me aside, I was only 2 weeks out of warranty also. Bag of dicks.
      10-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #231
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

rks68rt

Quote:
Originally Posted by M43S7RO View Post
Looking forward to a review!
I've had the slonik DCT Pan for some time now and finally got around to the install. It has held up perfectly, with no leaks. A few DEs, a lot of canyon/mountain pass/back road driving, and a small amount of DDing (I have EVs for DD purposes).

My setup consists of using the Slonik DCT pan, coupled with the SSP Viton Gasket for the side cover. Everything is bone dry.

Recent pic of my pan after my RBs were installed:
Attached Images

Last edited by buddalun; 10-16-2018 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 4
roastbeef11571.50
M43S7RO501.00
Tewie195.50
JDAURIA713.50
      10-13-2018, 03:54 AM   #232
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
rks68rt

Quote:
Originally Posted by M43S7RO View Post
Looking forward to a review!
I've had the slonik DCT Pan for some time now. It has held up perfectly, with no leaks. A few DEs, a lot of canyon/mountain pass/back road driving, and a small amount of DDing (I have EVs for DD purposes).

My setup consists of using the Slonik DCT pan, coupled with the SSP Viton Gasket for the side cover. Everything is bone dry.

Recent pic of my pan after my RBs were recently installed:
Excellent
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #233
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Is there any instructions on how to top it off properly?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 06:10 AM   #234
KillBill999
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3

I'm also curious on how to keep DCT fluid topped off or how to simply check levels...possibly unscrew fill hole, put fluid in and wait til it drips out the hole?....that's typically how its done on other cars I've worked on.

Also, I ended up sending the Wortec pan back and now I noticed that its also sold as another brand, Agency Power...same pan. I did not like the quality and it also doesn't use the BMW gasket...it needs a sealant, (which isn't much of a problem) but I'm just going to suck it up $$ and get the Gintani pan that you would use your used BMW gasket with...And, if you don't want to re-use your BMW gasket, there is a Viton gasket that can be purchased from Ebay. BMW will not sell the OEM DCT pan gasket by itself...you have to buy the OEM plastic pan to get the gasket. Sooo....getting the Gintani pan with the Ebay Viton gasket ($99). Then, getting the AWRON gauge system to monitor temps on the track!!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 06:34 AM   #235
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillBill999 View Post
I'm also curious on how to keep DCT fluid topped off or how to simply check levels...possibly unscrew fill hole, put fluid in and wait til it drips out the hole?....that's typically how its done on other cars I've worked on.

Also, I ended up sending the Wortec pan back and now I noticed that its also sold as another brand, Agency Power...same pan. I did not like the quality and it also doesn't use the BMW gasket...it needs a sealant, (which isn't much of a problem) but I'm just going to suck it up $$ and get the Gintani pan that you would use your used BMW gasket with...And, if you don't want to re-use your BMW gasket, there is a Viton gasket that can be purchased from Ebay. BMW will not sell the OEM DCT pan gasket by itself...you have to buy the OEM plastic pan to get the gasket. Sooo....getting the Gintani pan with the Ebay Viton gasket ($99). Then, getting the AWRON gauge system to monitor temps on the track!!
Can you post the link for the viton gasket please. Thanks.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 07:45 AM   #236
exVtekGuy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswy6 View Post
Is there any instructions on how to top it off properly?
here's some info.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746269
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2018, 05:51 PM   #237
m3rock41
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Can you post the link for the viton gasket please. Thanks.

I found this one on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-BMW-F80-...EAAOSwuMZZBQNb
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2018, 06:37 PM   #238
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

If anyone in SoCal has a DCT leak and is out of warranty pm me, found a guy who does the mechatronics gasket, DCT pan, and fluid flush for the most insane price you've ever heard.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 12:56 AM   #239
Rassilon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 m3

apparently the high pressure hoses that were replaced 3 years 15k miles ago started to leak again =(
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 10:52 AM   #240
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Jeeze. Lower pan leaks don’t bother me, and mine has a minor one. But the side/top sure does because of the PITA labor required.
At 50K now, I want to replace the leaky bottom and give it a fluid/filter service, but fear right after that the side will start leaking!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 02:06 PM   #241
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
Jeeze. Lower pan leaks don’t bother me, and mine has a minor one. But the side/top sure does because of the PITA labor required.
At 50K now, I want to replace the leaky bottom and give it a fluid/filter service, but fear right after that the side will start leaking!
Be careful, when the side leaks it drips down onto the pan an can make it look like the pan is leaking.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 02:50 PM   #242
Katkarot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010MDX 2012135i

I got 12 135i DCT that has a mechatronic leak. I thought it was oil pan but after changing that, I discovered it was slow leak from the mechatronic.

It's either gasket or mechatronic sleeve.

Did you get your mechatronic gasket leak fixed? If so, were you able to do it without dropping the tranny?

I assume if the mechatronic sleeve is leaking, you have to drop the tranny?

Quote:
Be careful, when the side leaks it drips down onto the pan an can make it look like the pan is leaking.
Appreciate 1
Theodore667.00