BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > M-Flight

08-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
MDSKIER
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' M3 E92

Moving to Germany in '15 ??

Looks like I will be moving to the Wiesbaden area in the spring of '15.

I have a '12 E92 that I plan on shipping from the US or not.

Looking for recommendations on

1. Shipping companies. Haven't even started to research.

2. Where to get repairs/service in the Wiesbaden area. I am not a gear head, I simply put gas in the car and drive it.

3. How to attach a Euro plate to the front bumper. I will probably purchase the euro front license plate mount and install that.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #2
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSKIER View Post
Looks like I will be moving to the Wiesbaden area in the spring of '15.

I have a '12 E92 that I plan on shipping from the US or not.

Looking for recommendations on

1. Shipping companies. Haven't even started to research.

2. Where to get repairs/service in the Wiesbaden area. I am not a gear head, I simply put gas in the car and drive it.

3. How to attach a Euro plate to the front bumper. I will probably purchase the euro front license plate mount and install that.

Thanks.
Advice....
Best thing is to contact him , it's the same situation =>http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1027453
Note ; Prepare your $'s ! Because when i'm seeing the US prices ,all I can do is...Dream about it !
Over here (Euro) it's about the US price =>But x 2 and even more !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

I have had a euro plate from european delivery attached on my car with just tape for 4+ years now and never had a problem. Beats having to drill the front bumper.
      08-30-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
MDSKIER
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Advice....
Best thing is to contact him , it's the same situation =>http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1027453
Note ; Prepare your $'s ! Because when i'm seeing the US prices ,all I can do is...Dream about it !
Over here (Euro) it's about the US price =>But x 2 and even more !
Thanks, well aware of the cost difference between US and Europe. Guess it won't hurt until the first bill.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
MDSKIER
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by askjeeves View Post
I have had a euro plate from european delivery attached on my car with just tape for 4+ years now and never had a problem. Beats having to drill the front bumper.
What tape did you use?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 06:29 AM   #6
K.M. Tim
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2011 M3  [2.00]
2012 BMW F30 w/ M S ...  [0.00]
If you are military or DOD you should be on orders. Shipping is free and you'll be in a tax free status while in Europe. Think about this, you are coming to Germany, the home of the autobahn with a ///M. Its a dream come true. If you join ///MFlight there are plenty of members worldwide that can give recommendations on all types issues.
      08-31-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

Quote:
What tape did you use?
i'm not sure since it was installed by the delivery center. 3m automotive tape should be sufficient for holding the plate on. It's the same tape used for the front splitters or rear lip spoiler.
      09-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #8
MDSKIER
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by askjeeves View Post
i'm not sure since it was installed by the delivery center. 3m automotive tape should be sufficient for holding the plate on. It's the same tape used for the front splitters or rear lip spoiler.
Found some, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 07:11 AM   #9
PIMP "E"
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
For your front plates buy a, "no hole bracket." It's very simple and it will save your front bumper from drilling wholes. Yes, if you are on orders to move to Wiesbaden, you should be able to ship your car for free. Here is a link to get you in the right direction. https://www.whereismypov.com/locations.asp PM me if you have more questions.
      12-03-2014, 11:42 PM   #10
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

I usually pay 2,500 to ship cars over seas. Probably even cheaper to Germany I usually ship to the Balkan region.

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 03:18 AM   #11
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

If you are still looking for a shipping company, check out http://www.tgal.us/. I used them to ship my Mercedes back in June. The total was roughly $1600.00 which included ground transport from Bremerhaven to Einsiedlerhoff (where German Customs is located). I dropped it off at the port in Jacksonville myself to save about $300.00, but ground transport in the US is an option as well.

Regarding trying to use double sided tape, I tried that when I first got here with my Mercedes. The on base inspection station didn't like that too much. They were very rude about it, made comments like "are you going to trust some tape to hold your plate on when you're driving down the Autobahn?" Needless to say, they failed me, made me take it off, go back out, mount it "with screws, nuts, bolts" as they wrote on my inspection sheet, and wait back in line for an hour and a half to get reinspected. They are very strict about using double sided tape. If you are willing to give it a try though, they have a very strong vehicle trim tape at ATU for about €9,99 which I can recommend. It's very strong, and to answer the idiots question who asked me the rhetorical question I referenced to above, yes, I trust this tape more than screws. My advice is, make it look like it is bolted on, but use double sided tape. If they suspect it isn't really bolted on, they will likely fail you. I am 100% sure they were just being dicks for the sake of being dicks. To my knowledge, there is nothing wrong with double sided tape to hold the mount on per German law. I could be wrong, but that is how all the dealerships do it with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 06:15 PM   #12
MDSKIER
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
If you are still looking for a shipping company, check out http://www.tgal.us/. I used them to ship my Mercedes back in June. The total was roughly $1600.00 which included ground transport from Bremerhaven to Einsiedlerhoff (where German Customs is located). I dropped it off at the port in Jacksonville myself to save about $300.00, but ground transport in the US is an option as well.

Regarding trying to use double sided tape, I tried that when I first got here with my Mercedes. The on base inspection station didn't like that too much. They were very rude about it, made comments like "are you going to trust some tape to hold your plate on when you're driving down the Autobahn?" Needless to say, they failed me, made me take it off, go back out, mount it "with screws, nuts, bolts" as they wrote on my inspection sheet, and wait back in line for an hour and a half to get reinspected. They are very strict about using double sided tape. If you are willing to give it a try though, they have a very strong vehicle trim tape at ATU for about €9,99 which I can recommend. It's very strong, and to answer the idiots question who asked me the rhetorical question I referenced to above, yes, I trust this tape more than screws. My advice is, make it look like it is bolted on, but use double sided tape. If they suspect it isn't really bolted on, they will likely fail you. I am 100% sure they were just being dicks for the sake of being dicks. To my knowledge, there is nothing wrong with double sided tape to hold the mount on per German law. I could be wrong, but that is how all the dealerships do it with no issues.
I received a quote from tgal.us today, not bad less then $1600 delivered to Wiesbaden.

German Laws maybe ok with double sided tape to hold the license plate. I believe USAREUR reg states they must be bolted on. At least that's what my practice test questions state .
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 10:35 PM   #13
xpunisherx
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82

Quote:
I received a quote from tgal.us today, not bad less then $1600 delivered to Wiesbaden.

German Laws maybe ok with double sided tape to hold the license plate. I believe USAREUR reg states they must be bolted on. At least that's what my practice test questions state .
Double sided tape will not fly with the vehicle inspection guys. They will require you to bolt the plate to the car somehow.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 12:16 PM   #14
CannonballRun
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Germany

If you're moving there, it may be best to ship your car along with some other things in a container. By best I mean cheapest. If you're doing them separately and looking for a good option, I've used https://www.a1autotransport.com/ before to ship to Germany and it went off fine. It's not cheap, but you probably already know that.

I'd also suggest contacting a couple items to play out the pricing game and see if you can save some here or there. Just be cautious about doing business with a company only because they're affordable - that can be a bad sign.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 12:17 PM   #15
CannonballRun
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

2015 ... nevermind.
Appreciate 0