BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis | Handling

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-03-2024, 09:36 AM   #45
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipp View Post
just got my kit in today after ordering in early Nov! def excited to get them installed
Congrats on the R1 setup
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 09:44 AM   #46
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipp View Post
see his FS thread here: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2057577

the build sheet shows 120 and 160 n/mm f/r, which converts to 685/913.

edit: those pics are also on the first page of the thread
R rate is a little low for the F rate. F/R 700/1000 lbf/in (or 700/1100 lbf/in) is a common setup on MCS dampers.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 09:20 PM   #47
1FastSicilian
-Frank
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

How would you guys compare this kit to the Ohlins dedicated track?
IG: @_frank_stone_
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 09:57 AM   #48
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastSicilian View Post
How would you guys compare this kit to the Ohlins dedicated track?
Nitron R1 are a more track/motorsport biased damper but it still works well on the street whereas the Ohlins R&T is a street biased damper that can be used on track. Both are 1-way dampers that adjust both rebound and compression simultaneously. You won’t outgrow the R1 on track as quickly as you would with a R&T and, if you do, I believe you can upgrade it to a R3 (3-way damper). The R1 is more expensive because of the motorsport quality internals. The rebuild intervals are similar but you can probably squeeze out a bit more mileage with the R&T especially if it’s only street mileage. I have a set of R&T on my R56 Mini CS and they’re still going strong after a decade of street use (~35-40k miles). Both dampers are great dampers but with different primary design objectives.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 10:01 AM   #49
1FastSicilian
-Frank
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Nitron R1 are a more track/motorsport biased damper but it still works well on the street whereas the Ohlins R&T is a street biased damper that can be used on track. Both are 1-way dampers that adjust both rebound and compression simultaneously. You won’t outgrow the R1 on track as quickly as you would with a R&T and, if you do, I believe you can upgrade it to a R3 (3-way damper). The R1 is more expensive because of the motorsport quality internals. The rebuild intervals are similar but you can probably squeeze out a bit more mileage with the R&T especially if it’s only street mileage. I have a set of R&T on my R56 Mini CS and they’re still going strong after a decade of street use (~35-40k miles). Both dampers are great dampers but with different primary design objectives.

The R&T is a different damper than the Dedicated Track, thats why I'm curious.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 10:26 AM   #50
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The R&T is a different damper than the Dedicated Track, thats why I'm curious.
R&T dedicated track is the same physical damper with different valving and spring rates. It’s still based on a street-biased damper that’s been setup for more track use. Ohlins TTX/ILX are a better comparison with Nitron products.

The dedicated track has double the front spring rate and a 50% increase in rear rate over the standard street-track kit. Valving is modified to handle the higher rates and that’s it. The Ohlins website even states the dedicated track kit has “track-focused tuning” but it’s still based on the DFV technology. Below are the marketing info for standard and dedicated track kits.
Attached Images

Last edited by M3SQRD; 02-17-2024 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 04:54 PM   #51
1FastSicilian
-Frank
Rep

Interesting.. I was under the impression that it was a different damper.

I'm looking to upgrade and I'm considering my options, not sure which way to go... I just know that I'm not spending $7k on coilovers lol so certain ones are out of the question for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
R&T dedicated track is the same physical damper with different valving and spring rates. It’s still based on a street-biased damper that’s been setup for more track use. Ohlins TTX/ILX are a better comparison with Nitron products.

The dedicated track has double the front spring rate and a 50% increase in rear rate over the standard street-track kit. Valving is modified to handle the higher rates and that’s it. The Ohlins website even states the dedicated track kit has “track-focused tuning” but it’s still based on the DFV technology. Below are the marketing info for standard and dedicated track kits.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 11:02 PM   #52
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Interesting.. I was under the impression that it was a different damper.

I'm looking to upgrade and I'm considering my options, not sure which way to go... I just know that I'm not spending $7k on coilovers lol so certain ones are out of the question for me.
No. Dampers are identical, only valved differently. If you’re upgrading for track use then I’d recommend the R1 (conventional or the soon to be released elec-TRON R1) over the Ohlins R&T dedicated track setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 11:04 PM   #53
bipp
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 e92 m3 zcp

After 1000+ miles and my first track day on this kit, definitely can't say enough good things about it. Largely, what MaximusB said about it was my experience as well. I think at some point I might have a longer writeup, or cross-post this to the non-sponsor forum section for better visibility, but these are my extended initial thoughts.

On top of that though, I can't thank OG Shark enough for answering my questions when ordering, as well as general words of wisdom about tracking. I think this is an invaluable part of this kit as well - you get the development of someone who really, really knows what they're doing.

Street use

At 2 clicks from full soft, it's extremely comfortable for dailying. I would say there's better modulation than stock suspension, and no one would ever think you had coilovers.

At 4 clicks from full soft, it's firm but not jarring. I typically run this - I find that it gives great confidence in curvy roads and still very acceptable for daily driving.

There's no additional noise or vibration from this kit that would make it unbearable. Occasionally, I find that getting out of my driveway (bit of a bump) in the morning results in a bit of squeaking / creaking, but typically I don't experience any clunks or odd noises when driving.

Track use

It's great. I haven't had experience with other coilovers and this is following my first track day, but I find that it's definitely stiff yet forgiving around a track. At 4 clicks from full hard, it corners a lot flatter than stock suspension, provides a lot of confidence, and still lets you eat curbs in peace.

I think the general takeaway (whether for canyon or track driving) is that this kit will leave you with a sense of "holy shit, my car can do that?" - whether it's acting silly going around a cloverleaf or on track, I'm still constantly impressed by what this kit has for cornering. I definitely haven't found the limits of it yet, but I'm looking forward to continuing tracking with it and pushing the boundaries of the car.

Last edited by bipp; 03-19-2024 at 01:31 AM..
Appreciate 0