BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

04-30-2019, 09:30 AM   #1
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
C6 Z06

Not ready to purchase anything yet. Just settling in to a new state and will probably wait until we purchase a house after our "trial year" living the apartment life. That said, I'm always looking around to see what my next toy will be after my E90M. I always circle back to an E9x M with a heavy sway to an E92 just to try something different if I do come back to the platform. Just something about these cars, man...

Of course I like to keep my options open. Another consideration I've had is the C6 Z06 (calling thetastelingers ). I've had a few LSx cars over the years, and I always had a hoot. Dad had a C5 when I was a kid, but I never drove it, and I've driven a base C6 a handful of times. Obviously the build quality takes a slight dive from the Bimmer, but from the perspective of it being a pure weekend toy and occasionally seeing a track (a couple HPDEs a year would be my intention), I wonder if it can be looked past. I consider the lower running costs to be a big plus, and I've always really liked the shape of the C6 - especially with the wide hips of a Z car.

What are you guys' take? I'm hoping that a big cam can start to raise the rev limiter to chase after the S65
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 02:26 PM   #2
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

I'd get something small, light, with two seats over a cooking Corvette every time. Exige, Cayman, z4m for a pure weekend HPDE. Alternatively an M2, If it had to be Murican maybe a ZL1 1LE or GT350. Unless it's a ZR1 there are better cars.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I really like the C6 Z06, although the suspension design in Vettes makes their at the limit handling a little tricky [said a pro driver]

Mind you the engine does have issues with dropped valves

It's a low weight, very powerful NA sports car. Definitely cool.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
gerikivan
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Coupe, E82 135i

before i bought my m3 i had to choose between m3 and c5 z06... if your gonna use it for just spirited runs and daily go for m3.. if your going competitive then the c6 is for you.. corvette will run circles on the m3
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2019, 05:59 PM   #5
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
I'd get something small, light, with two seats over a cooking Corvette every time. Exige, Cayman, z4m for a pure weekend HPDE. Alternatively an M2, If it had to be Murican maybe a ZL1 1LE or GT350. Unless it's a ZR1 there are better cars.
I came awfully close to picking up a Z4MC pre E90M and still have a void calling for the S54 to fill. Prices seem to be perpetually stagnet which is odd. Do people like them or not? The recipe is there for ultimate cult classic.

I'd really dig the GT350, but oil consumption is a big concern for me. Still in a different price point as is.

Exige would be real cool from the superficial knowledge I have of them. I'd probably cap my budget at $40k to be realistic for a sincere toy, and I think that gets me a high mileage one of those. Boo.

Not sure why, but Caymen really doesn't hold any appeal for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I really like the C6 Z06, although the suspension design in Vettes makes their at the limit handling a little tricky [said a pro driver]

Mind you the engine does have issues with dropped valves

It's a low weight, very powerful NA sports car. Definitely cool.
I've heard the C6Z can be quite snappy at the limit. Gotta realize right foot driving pretty quick

Dry sump is trick, but are spring issues early cars? I've been looking at '08+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerikivan View Post
before i bought my m3 i had to choose between m3 and c5 z06... if your gonna use it for just spirited runs and daily go for m3.. if your going competitive then the c6 is for you.. corvette will run circles on the m3
Yeah I don't think I would even consider the C5Z. I do like the regular FRC more for some reason.

Other end of the spectrum is to have a Frankenstein project like a high revving 5.3 LS FD RX-7, but I'll save those thoughts for when we're settled with the appropriate garage and my tools come out of storage
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 06:24 PM   #6
Golddots
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

C5z is quite underrated. A well driven car with no more than a decent r comp and pads can be as fast as anything out there.

C6z is a great car. Awesome bang for buck and I think it is the best looking Corvette. Not many cars can trap in the mid 120's and corner as well for the same money as a c6z.

I used to track a c5z and the c6z owners I've asked never mentioned anything about being difficult to drive.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2019, 07:01 PM   #7
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

I'd only do the C6 Z06 if you are really going to be at the track a lot. Seems like you wouldn't be able to enjoy it to its full potential on the street.
      05-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #8
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

You know what.. sometimes I wish I had the e92 over my e90 for one reason and absolutly one reason only... the B pillar is it? Sits far back on the e92 so when you have the windows down the wind doesn't smack you upside the head constantly... and I love rolling around with my window down so it kind of sucks
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 04:07 AM   #9
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Alternatively find a nice older e92 M3 for $30k, drop $10k on MCS Singles, a front BBK, and a set of Cobra Nogaros with Shroth quick fits and you have a fantastic street / track weapon. Throw on test pipes for extra sound and power as your not DD'ing it. This would put a smile on your face for a long time 😎
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 07:13 AM   #10
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
I came awfully close to picking up a Z4MC pre E90M and still have a void calling for the S54 to fill. Prices seem to be perpetually stagnet which is odd. Do people like them or not? The recipe is there for ultimate cult classic.

Dry sump is trick, but are spring issues early cars? I've been looking at '08+.
As far as I'm concerned all of them have it. I'm no expert on Vettes but have considered buying one a few times for the track.
Lots of people here like pretending they live on other planets, where C63s, RS4s, RS5s, TTRS, RS3s, Focus RSs, Quadrifoglios, etc are track worthy.

The Z4M is an incredibly special car... Having driven them extensively I'm amazed that it didn't get better reviews when it was new.
An interesting thing about the Z4M is you can get a convertible for essentially no penalty... with a Karbonius CSL airbox it would be lovely!
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 07:13 AM   #11
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siajoon View Post
You know what.. sometimes I wish I had the e92 over my e90 for one reason and absolutly one reason only... the B pillar is it? Sits far back on the e92 so when you have the windows down the wind doesn't smack you upside the head constantly... and I love rolling around with my window down so it kind of sucks
I thought it was only me... when I drive the E92 the windows-down experience is so much better
Appreciate 2
Siajoon1853.50
      05-03-2019, 08:20 AM   #12
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddots View Post
C5z is quite underrated. A well driven car with no more than a decent r comp and pads can be as fast as anything out there.

C6z is a great car. Awesome bang for buck and I think it is the best looking Corvette. Not many cars can trap in the mid 120's and corner as well for the same money as a c6z.

I used to track a c5z and the c6z owners I've asked never mentioned anything about being difficult to drive.
I've seen plenty of them on the track, too. Seem like capable cars, but it's just not for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I'd only do the C6 Z06 if you are really going to be at the track a lot. Seems like you wouldn't be able to enjoy it to its full potential on the street.
Looks like some travel is in order for me! Just moved and will be spending the majority of my time in the panhandle region of Florida. Gives me an excuse to go see my parents more often. They're about in earshot of Road Atlanta. Probably about the same distance to get to Sebring, too.

That aside, I can't really think of too many cars that can be enjoyed to their full potential on the street. Even the S2000 I've driven a handful of times can put you in trouble with the five-oh real quick. I've heard that the ride in the C6Z leaves much to be desired on the street, however. Weapon on the track, but harsh over things like expansion joints.

What's your take on the car's size? The 'Vette seems like a bit of a big car. I'm only 5'10" and feel that I'd be swallowed up by this thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siajoon View Post
Quote:
I thought it was only me... when I drive the E92 the windows-down experience is so much better
But have you tried the E93...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Alternatively find a nice older e92 M3 for $30k, drop $10k on MCS Singles, a front BBK, and a set of Cobra Nogaros with Shroth quick fits and you have a fantastic street / track weapon. Throw on test pipes for extra sound and power as your not DD'ing it. This would put a smile on your face for a long time ��
Hey now, we all know that the E9x is glorious. I'm just trying to find something else that could make sense. Variety is the spice of life!

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned all of them have it. I'm no expert on Vettes but have considered buying one a few times for the track.
Lots of people here like pretending they live on other planets, where C63s, RS4s, RS5s, TTRS, RS3s, Focus RSs, Quadrifoglios, etc are track worthy.

The Z4M is an incredibly special car... Having driven them extensively I'm amazed that it didn't get better reviews when it was new.
An interesting thing about the Z4M is you can get a convertible for essentially no penalty... with a Karbonius CSL airbox it would be lovely!
I can honestly say that I haven't even looked at the convertible variant. I've just never been a fan (of any convertible really - I really like the S2000's, but I'm just not a convertible man). But it's hard to look past the coupe with the lines it has. Reminiscent of a '65 Daytona Coupe.

I'm always checking in on the Karbonius group buy thread you got going for the S65. Always checking for new noise videos. Certainly must be sublime for the S54

Certainly something to consider with the busted springs! Not sure why I thought it was the early years.

Also - paging thetastelingers . Need to get you out of the titty thread for a minute!

Your Z was a beaut last fall.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 08:53 AM   #13
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:

But have you tried the E93...

I can honestly say that I haven't even looked at the convertible variant. I've just never been a fan (of any convertible really - I really like the S2000's, but I'm just not a convertible man). But it's hard to look past the coupe with the lines it has. Reminiscent of a '65 Daytona Coupe.

I'm always checking in on the Karbonius group buy thread you got going for the S65. Always checking for new noise videos. Certainly must be sublime for the S54

I wanted the E93 but needed two track cars makes it a no go. That's how I ended up with the CS.

The same stuff goes for the Z4MC as the Z4MR. And it's such a petite car!
Montaver was in a CSL airboxed S54 recently and wow, just wow
Last night a S54 CSL box arrived at home actually

A few years ago I was abouuuut to buy a Z4MC but it was trashed... I track so much that everything is viewed through that lens, however, if I did not track I would have one of these FOR SURE

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 05-03-2019 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 2
Montaver2066.50
      05-03-2019, 08:55 AM   #14
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

I've driven quite a few LS/T56 cars and I can't say that I loved any of them. As a matter of fact my friend and I have swapped a few cars including his 997. I much prefer the M97.

The LS engine in general is not a bad engine but has little to no character to me, and I loath the T56.

Sorry off topic but, I also don't understand muscle cars in this day. I understand why they were popular to begin with. Low price and tons of power. The thing is, now days they are just as expensive as their German counterparts. At this point you are paying similar money for a American car with below average build and interior quality as you are for a German luxury/sports car.

That's just my 2 cents
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      05-03-2019, 09:03 AM   #15
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks like some travel is in order for me! Just moved and will be spending the majority of my time in the panhandle region of Florida. Gives me an excuse to go see my parents more often. They're about in earshot of Road Atlanta. Probably about the same distance to get to Sebring, too.

That aside, I can't really think of too many cars that can be enjoyed to their full potential on the street. Even the S2000 I've driven a handful of times can put you in trouble with the five-oh real quick. I've heard that the ride in the C6Z leaves much to be desired on the street, however. Weapon on the track, but harsh over things like expansion joints.

What's your take on the car's size? The 'Vette seems like a bit of a big car. I'm only 5'10" and feel that I'd be swallowed up by this thing.

The Corvette is not a very big car, it just looks huge because of the proportions. It's 6 inches shorter and 7 inches lower than the M3, but it is 4 inches wider.

I think what I was getting at is that the Z06s command a significant price premium over the regular Corvette and I don't think it's worth it for a street car. I'd almost tell you to just get a C7 Z51 for that money, it's just as fast and way more comfortable for daily use (also more modern).
      05-03-2019, 09:07 AM   #16
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I wanted the E93 but needed two track cars makes it a no go. That's how I ended up with the CS.

The same stuff goes for the Z4MC as the Z4MR. And it's such a petite car!
Montaver was in a CSL airboxed S54 recently and wow, just wow
Last night a S54 CSL box arrived at home actually

A few years ago I was abouuuut to buy a Z4MC but it was trashed... I track so much that everything is viewed through that lens, however, if I did not track I would have one of these FOR SURE
Can still find sub 50k mile cars for ≤ $30k

Was watching this one yesterday. Catchpole was going nuts for the CSL box. Go to about 1:50

Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      05-03-2019, 09:12 AM   #17
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
I've driven quite a few LS/T56 cars and I can't say that I loved any of them. As a matter of fact my friend and I have swapped a few cars including his 997. I much prefer the M97.
The LS engine in general is not a bad engine but has little to no character to me, and I loath the T56.
Sorry off topic but, I also don't understand muscle cars in this day. I understand why they were popular to begin with. Low price and tons of power. The thing is, now days they are just as expensive as their German counterparts. At this point you are paying similar money for a American car with below average build and interior quality as you are for a German luxury/sports car.
That's just my 2 cents
I am completely with you.

I really want to love american sport cars but they suffer the same issues as STis: they are too damn expensive for what they offer.
I may dislike Porsches and anything made by VAG, but that does not transfer to american cars.

I remember driving a friend's C7 Z06 recently... it had POWER, to the point I didn't understand how the hell I can hang with them at the track. Meanwhile, the owner said the car drove him crazy, there were rattles nonstop he couldn't get rid of and he was generally miserable... because at the end of the day, the opportunities to deploy POWER are few and far between, yet the shitty interior is with you every day of your life
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 09:23 AM   #18
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiza View Post

That's just my 2 cents
Torquey little aluminum things, though! I mean once upon a time I picked up a 2002 LS1 w/ 14k miles with a large thumper of a cam, upgraded springs, yadda yadda. Only needed accessories (alternator, etc.) and an intake (which I had an LS6 intake in the garage) for $800. We're talking a 500+ HP motor that weighs nothing that also costs nothing. I agree that they don't necessarily have the same character and heart of something such as an S65, but talk about a bargain! Pairing that with a 10k mile T56 and LS7 clutch I had plopped into a stripped FC Turbo II RX-7. I mean, damn. If it had wings it would have flown.

But looking at things like the GT350 cars and the skunkwerks Camaros that they are putting out. Nutso cars that you can also put your Trump / Pence bumper sticker on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
The Corvette is not a very big car, it just looks huge because of the proportions. It's 6 inches shorter and 7 inches lower than the M3, but it is 4 inches wider.

I think what I was getting at is that the Z06s command a significant price premium over the regular Corvette and I don't think it's worth it for a street car. I'd almost tell you to just get a C7 Z51 for that money, it's just as fast and way more comfortable for daily use (also more modern).
Mind blown on the actual dimensions. Obviously I hadn't looked it up, but I never would have guessed. I do remember the C6 I sat in seemed to have a large (tall) interior. Ass on the ground!

I will say that technology can be a turn-off for me. For something that's to be used as I intend, less is more. That's one of my favorite points of my old "stripper" E90M. Manual cloth seats, no navigation, no sunroof, 6MT... I could probably count the times I even turned the radio on in that thing on one hand. The next car will be treated similarly.

Danny has me reeling back in to that E86 car now... I came close to buying one a few years back.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 09:34 AM   #19
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Can still find sub 50k mile cars for ≤ $30k

Was watching this one yesterday. Catchpole was going nuts for the CSL box. Go to about 1:50

Should also add this one

Appreciate 3
SYT_Shadow11421.00
8500RPM152.00
beats225.00
      05-03-2019, 09:44 AM   #20
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
I will say that technology can be a turn-off for me. For something that's to be used as I intend, less is more. That's one of my favorite points of my old "stripper" E90M. Manual cloth seats, no navigation, no sunroof, 6MT... I could probably count the times I even turned the radio on in that thing on one hand. The next car will be treated similarly.

Danny has me reeling back in to that E86 car now... I came close to buying one a few years back.

I love stripper E9Xs as well, I have two! The CS seats feel like total shit in comparison as the leather is so slippery vs cloth.

The E86 has a sense of occasion that few other cars have. It feels incredibly purposeful and designed for sporty driving. The cabin is so intimate, I just love it. It's so petite, huge hood with a straight 6 in it... one of the most perfect cars BMW has made.
And you can CSL-box it!!!!!!!!!

One could argue a Cayman has a similar focus, however, the Z4M actually delivers on the engine side with a completely insane, very high specific output engine which feels head and shoulders above anything that has ever been put into a Cayman.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 09:53 AM   #21
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mind blown on the actual dimensions. Obviously I hadn't looked it up, but I never would have guessed. I do remember the C6 I sat in seemed to have a large (tall) interior. Ass on the ground!

The C7's interior is still very functional and driver-focused. You don't have to navigate through fifty menus, it has physical buttons/knobs for all climate and radio functions.
Attached Images

05-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #22
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Cross shopping a C6 Z06 with an M3 currently. If I test drive a C6 soon I'll comment on the comparison.

The Z06 has immense potential and can net you all the power you need without FI which is very appealing
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 1