BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

01-10-2013, 12:33 AM   #1
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Supra Turbo

Can't decide on my custom build options...HELP!

I've been a long time 335i owner waiting on the right time to make the upgrade to the M3 and have decided to buy into the end of an era of NA M cars by purchasing a 2013 e92.

I have an allocation with a west coast dealer which I am in the process of configuring but am having a really hard time deciding on the options.

Four things I am sure of...I'm getting MT, black cloth, carbon leather trim, and a BMW individual color (It has already been approved but I want to save revealing my decision on the paint for a project/build thread at a later date)

I'm torn between buying the car with no further options, adding M220 rims, or just splurging and getting ZCP.

My questions is...is it worth it to get ZCP? I don't plan on tracking the car but I feel ZCP might improve the desirability of the car after several years much like the e46 ZCP and can save me from lowering the car with aftermarket springs.

Should I nix ZCP and equip the 220M rims which are equally desirable to the ZCP rims IMO but don't carry the EDC premium with them and lower the car with aftermarket springs?

Or should I just order the bare minimum an go aftermarket for rims and suspension?

Thoughts?

Former Car: '16 SUNBURST GOLD F80 ///M3--6MT/Carbon Cloth (ED Thread)
Former Car:'13 SANTORINI BLUE E92///M3--6MT/Speed Cloth/ZCP(ED Thread)
INSTAGRAM:@C2KMotorsports
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt2000 View Post
I've been a long time 335i owner waiting on the right time to make the upgrade to the M3 and have decided to buy into the end of an era of NA M cars by purchasing a 2013 e92.

I have an allocation with a west coast dealer which I am in the process of configuring but am having a really hard time deciding on the options.

Four things I am sure of...I'm getting MT, black cloth, carbon leather trim, and a BMW individual color (It has already been approved but I want to save revealing my decision on the paint for a project/build thread at a later date)

I'm torn between buying the car with no further options, adding M220 rims, or just splurging and getting ZCP.

My questions is...is it worth it to get ZCP? I don't plan on tracking the car but I feel ZCP might improve the desirability of the car after several years much like the e46 ZCP and can save me from lowering the car with aftermarket springs.

Should I nix ZCP and equip the 220M rims which are equally desirable to the ZCP rims IMO but don't carry the EDC premium with them and lower the car with aftermarket springs?

Or should I just order the bare minimum an go aftermarket for rims and suspension?

Thoughts?

if your goal is to keep the value of the car, why get aftermarket rims and suspension? that lowers your value. i would do zcp and just enjoy it like that. however if you dont like zcp wheels and are planning on changing those after, then dont bother and just do aftermarket stuff.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:57 AM   #3
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSSIIM3 View Post
if your goal is to keep the value of the car, why get aftermarket rims and suspension? that lowers your value. i would do zcp and just enjoy it like that. however if you dont like zcp wheels and are planning on changing those after, then dont bother and just do aftermarket stuff.
If I get the ZCP or 220M rims then they will remain installed but would be powdercoated gloss black, the stocker 18's would be replaced by either used OEM ZCPs, 220M's or replicas...question is, can I get a set of used OEM 19's with tires and installed for less than $1200?

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Get as many options on the car as you can afford bc it will serve you better down the road when it comes time to let it go.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
Get as many options on the car as you can afford bc it will serve you better down the road when it comes time to let it go.
+1

Also, I don't see the fascination with the cloth seats. While the track guys may think they are the best, they will no doubt make it harder to sell later. It's more of a niche item.

In addition, you are paying extra to do individual. Why not get leather with matching stitching or something to really make it special?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I don't know why but I really like the cloth seats, they are still very nice and are a rare option. I remember I looked at a few e90s on the used market a year or so back and the leather interiors other than black were showing discoloration and ware. Then I saw a cloth e90 and it looked great, I don't remember it detracting from my opinion of the car, but that's just me.

I want to avoid a ton of 'gadget' options since I plan on keeping this car for the long term. Stuff like DCT I feel will be out dated eventually and undoubtedly additional liability once the car is out of warranty. Things like navigation and tech options I feel will quickly become outdated as well...think about a nav option in the e46.

I'd like to only bug options that an enthusiast would appreciate which is why I'm putting money into the individual color instead of premium/DCT.

Am I crazy?

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
LOVEM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1m VO

I am in the same boat . what i would suggest go with Dynamic Damper Control $1,000 option with stock 18 and later change it to GT3 black wheels if you have to, depending on your exterior color choice especially if its speed yellow. Good luck with YOUR CHOICE.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't know why but I really like the cloth seats, they are still very nice and are a rare option. I remember I looked at a few e90s on the used market a year or so back and the leather interiors other than black were showing discoloration and ware. Then I saw a cloth e90 and it looked great, I don't remember it detracting from my opinion of the car, but that's just me.

I want to avoid a ton of 'gadget' options since I plan on keeping this car for the long term. Stuff like DCT I feel will be out dated eventually and undoubtedly additional liability once the car is out of warranty. Things like navigation and tech options I feel will quickly become outdated as well...think about a nav option in the e46.

I'd like to only bug options that an enthusiast would appreciate which is why I'm putting money into the individual color instead of premium/DCT.

Am I crazy?
It's all about what's most important to you. I was coming from the angle of what most people might want when you go to sell it down the road since you mentioned the desirability later on.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I have an engineering background and am accused of thinking too much on a regular basis. I guess my goal is to get what I want but also keep in mind the re-saleability for several years down the road and not lock myself into some weird configuration that a buyer would scoff at...

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have an engineering background and am accused of thinking too much on a regular basis. I guess my goal is to get what I want but also keep in mind the re-saleability for several years down the road and not lock myself into some weird configuration that a buyer would scoff at...
I agree with you in the respect that you wanna get what's perfect for you. The only issue with that can come down the line as I mentioned. If you look at what the majority of cars here have, you will see a trend. This trend would probably lend itself to the rest of the M3s purchased. So going too far to one side in regards to options may not help resale later. To sell the car the fastest and easiest, you'll want to appeal to the masses and not the few enthusiasts on a forum.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
MSPORTWORLD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 MW/FR - '12 M3 FO/SC

Garage List
Better hurry up and put your order in before I do something crazy like put an order in so I'll have a '11, '12 and '13.

Too bad you aren't doing ED...nothing quite like having an E92 M3 Nurburgring Edition...way better than the Lime Rock in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPORTWORLD
Better hurry up and put your order in before I do something crazy like put an order in so I'll have a '11, '12 and '13.

Too bad you aren't doing ED...nothing quite like having an E92 M3 Nurburgring Edition...way better than the Lime Rock in my opinion.
Haha, as long as you don't steal my color I'm alright with it.

I think you need to round out your collection with a frozen paint car Mike!

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #13
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPORTWORLD View Post

hat trick!

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
DCC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Thoughts?
The cloth seats are great, keep them
If you do the 19" wheels, then you might want to add the EDC or get the ZCP.
If not, stick with the 18s
The 19s without EDC makes the car a stiff daily driver. Also, the current ZCP is mostly cosmetic and a little programing, unlike the E46M3 ZCP which upgraded brakes and steering rack ratio.
Just my 2 cents

2024 M2, 2024 CGT4RS, 2020 M2 CS, 2021 Macan GTS, 2017 Cayenne S, 2002 M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #15
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
The cloth seats are great, keep them
If you do the 19" wheels, then you might want to add the EDC or get the ZCP.
If not, stick with the 18s
The 19s without EDC makes the car a stiff daily driver. Also, the current ZCP is mostly cosmetic and a little programing, unlike the E46M3 ZCP which upgraded brakes and steering rack ratio.
Just my 2 cents
Good info on ride quality differences between the two rim sizes...I hadn't thought of that.

I think i'm starting to lean towards Comp package so I can keep the car as stock as possible and still have the wheels/stance that I desire. Since I'm leasing with intention to buy afterwards I can residualize the comp package and only pay an extra ~1500 out of pocket for the rims/suspension and keep the same payment. I'd be hard pressed to find rims/tires and springs for that price on the after market.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #16
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
I'd recommend ZCP. The EDC works well on street or track. IIRC, there was an article a few years ago explaining how ZCP EDC and M-mode are slightly different from a la carte options. The slightly lowered stance plays into part of that.

At any rate, I think you're doing the right thing skipping the rest of the options. I got heated seats because it gets cold here, but you can't get premium sound without the nav, and nobody will want to pay extra $$$$ for a car with a then-ancient nav system. If you were getting this for a DD you trade in in 3 years, maybe I'd say otherwise.

So when will you reveal your color? Inquiring minds want to know.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #17
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
I'd recommend ZCP. The EDC works well on street or track. IIRC, there was an article a few years ago explaining how ZCP EDC and M-mode are slightly different from a la carte options. The slightly lowered stance plays into part of that.

At any rate, I think you're doing the right thing skipping the rest of the options. I got heated seats because it gets cold here, but you can't get premium sound without the nav, and nobody will want to pay extra $$$$ for a car with a then-ancient nav system. If you were getting this for a DD you trade in in 3 years, maybe I'd say otherwise.

So when will you reveal your color? Inquiring minds want to know.
I think it may have been your first alternate based upon your comments in your reveal thread

I've actually ordered it before but the deal fell through because the dealer I was working with negotiated 750 over invoice on the custom color then changed their minds and said MSRP when they got the color approved and found out they could count the number of them in the states on one hand. After I pulled out they went through with the build and sold it locally...pretty sure some pictures of it made it on here.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #18
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
I think it may have been your first alternate based upon your comments in your reveal thread

I've actually ordered it before but the deal fell through because the dealer I was working with negotiated 750 over invoice on the custom color then changed their minds and said MSRP when they got the color approved and found out they could count the number of them in the states on one hand. After I pulled out they went through with the build and sold it locally...pretty sure some pictures of it made it on here.
Oh my! That would be enough to lose my business forever. What jerks!

Anyway, if it's what I'm thinking, great color!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #19
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

alright I've decided on ZCP! Thanks for everyone's help! I just sent my credit app and CC number over to Steve Thomas BMW with the following message...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #20
MSPORTWORLD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 MW/FR - '12 M3 FO/SC

Garage List
Quote:
alright I've decided on ZCP! Thanks for everyone's help! I just sent my credit app and CC number over to Steve Thomas BMW with the following message...
Congratulations! Can't wait to see your Ind Blue car....

I would have gone ZCP if there weren't a set of these TC Kline D/A Coilovers going on in the next six months.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #21
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
nice. Thank you again! Im excited for you

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #22
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

Santorini or Laguna Seca? Both beautiful...

The cloth seats are awesome. I just took delivery of mine and have no regrets. I don't think they'll fetch any more/less money at resale, though they might have a narrower market at resale. I don't plan on selling mine though, so no skin off my nose.

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0