BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-14-2021, 05:03 PM   #23
nodemgr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP Coupe 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruuuce View Post
ive had one for quite some time as well, jeep has been on it for months, no issues or leaks.

They are suppose to release a new version one of these days, thinking sales prices are there to help clear out inventory.

I do want another one, been waiting for the new version.
They are releasing models with 3 inch higher lift.

In your experience is that necessary?

How about for subframe or transmission swaps?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 06:16 PM   #24
Bruuuce
the me
Rep
Drives: 01ZCoupe, 08M3Coupe, 21M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodemgr View Post
They are releasing models with 3 inch higher lift.

In your experience is that necessary?

How about for subframe or transmission swaps?
is 3 more inches necessary, sure wouldn't hurt, hmmm. It would help for dropping the, well everything. thinking they figured that out as well...

I did just switch to the ratchet type impact wrench from Milwaukee, that should also help with clearance and getting bolts out and loose. I ran into issues with space for tools and my belly while on a roller.

So, if given a choice the higher lift would be nice. If they are the same price, of course. Sometimes new models come out with more capabilities for less as well. Time will tell, steel prices are up as well so could be the same price. If one is needed now, I would buy, if waiting a bit, then betting on the same price or so with more lift, then I would wait.

I also use them for the Jeeps and Dodge, there more lift might actually lift the tires off the ground. I have the 7000 Ext for reference, works fine on the M3 and M2.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 08:23 PM   #25
Denny347
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

If you don't want any leaks, DON'T use the liquid thread sealer that come with the kit. I did and had leaks everywhere. Went back to traditional thread tape for the fittings and leaks are gone.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 08:37 PM   #26
djsilverjohnson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny347 View Post
If you don't want any leaks, DON'T use the liquid thread sealer that come with the kit. I did and had leaks everywhere. Went back to traditional thread tape for the fittings and leaks are gone.
I'll agree with this guy. I've worked in a power generation facility for 35 years and Teflon thread tape is the bomb. The only place you need to be careful is with non-metallic fittings. With PVC/CPVC etc, you can crack the fittings if you use too much or crank down on it too much.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52721.00
      05-18-2021, 02:22 PM   #27
jdamore
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny347 View Post
Oh, well! that is interesting! My QJ came with tape.. I wonder if the folks who are leaking did NOT have the tape??

Tape is in the yellow spool in with the fittings. Photo is dated May 1st 2020.
Attached Images

05-18-2021, 03:54 PM   #28
jun_e92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

I have owned it for 3 years. No oil leakage, but a little air leakage. You need to add gas before each use.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 06:57 PM   #29
pedro2u
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 M3 6MT, '08 E92 335Xi

Garage List
I've had mine for 18 months and it hasn't leaked a drop...

love this thing....

but a new version that adds 3" of lift sounds great too. I already use the truck adapters to get more lift..... adapters are shown in the 2nd pic of my Edge
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 08:50 PM   #30
tbuck
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2016 F23 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore View Post
Oh, well! that is interesting! My QJ came with tape.. I wonder if the folks who are leaking did NOT have the tape??

Tape is in the yellow spool in with the fittings. Photo is dated May 1st 2020.
Well, not sure if they have changed it or if different sellers get different setups, but mine that just came from costco had the liquid. I have some of the heavy Teflon tape that I will use when I put it together.
Attached Images

05-18-2021, 10:10 PM   #31
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

Yes, it seems the newer kits come with the liquid sealant instead of tape. That's what leaked like crazy with mine. Throw it in the trash.

Normal teflon tape worked much better.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 12:11 AM   #32
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
I've had mine for nearly 2 years now - and while it's a godsend and I love it, the couplers are garbage.

Twice it's started leaking from the couplers, between the male and female connections and not at the threads. First time I chaulked it up to a bad o-ring and ordered a replacement from QJ. I was 1 month out of warranty so they generously gave me 10% off and I only paid $150 CAD for a pair (1 male + 1 female) . When I spoke with them they confirmed it's nothing I could have done wrong, other than a dry or dirty o-ring. Since then I've been diligent in keeping it clean (not that I didn't before), because I didn't need another needless expense.

Well it's happened again, and is currently out of commission while I source aftermarket fittings. If you google this, it is a common enough issue, apparently units that don't get used as often experience it more. I use mine 5-6 times a year, and mostly in the nicer months. I reckon it's being stored in the cold garage over the 3-4 winter months that's killing it (both failures happened the first time out of storage).

Is this extremely inconvenient and annoying: yes. Do I still love them and recommend them: also YES. I was one that never felt safe under jack stands, and a full out lift isn't in the cards right now. Also my regular floor jack didn't fit under my car so that was a big factor too (a good low-profile is inching on ⅓ the cost of the QJs).

Edit: my version came with and has been used solely with Teflon tape - although that's irrelevant as it isn't leaking from those connections.
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 2
PACarGuy679.00
CSBM52721.00
      06-11-2021, 02:16 PM   #33
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

My QJ 7000 came with thread tape, not sealant.

No leaks so far.
      06-11-2021, 02:38 PM   #34
tbuck
Captain
Rep

I had one leak after the first use, and it turned out to be on the threads. I guess I didn't put enough of the Teflon tape on that fitting. Redid that and have had no issues since.

I have used it 4 times since it arrived and it is great. I did some work on my daughters E46 that had an idler grenade on her and I had to lift to get under then drop to work on top several times and it would have been a complete bitch to do that with a jack. Glad to have finally gotten this!
      06-11-2021, 02:59 PM   #35
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

I'm finally ready to get one of these but going to hold out for the new version. Just received an email that they will start shipping in September.
      06-11-2021, 03:59 PM   #36
spiderspider
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, 991 C4S, E46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar93 View Post
I've had mine for nearly 2 years now - and while it's a godsend and I love it, the couplers are garbage.

Twice it's started leaking from the couplers, between the male and female connections and not at the threads. First time I chaulked it up to a bad o-ring and ordered a replacement from QJ. I was 1 month out of warranty so they generously gave me 10% off and I only paid $150 CAD for a pair (1 male + 1 female) . When I spoke with them they confirmed it's nothing I could have done wrong, other than a dry or dirty o-ring. Since then I've been diligent in keeping it clean (not that I didn't before), because I didn't need another needless expense.

Well it's happened again, and is currently out of commission while I source aftermarket fittings. If you google this, it is a common enough issue, apparently units that don't get used as often experience it more. I use mine 5-6 times a year, and mostly in the nicer months. I reckon it's being stored in the cold garage over the 3-4 winter months that's killing it (both failures happened the first time out of storage).

Is this extremely inconvenient and annoying: yes. Do I still love them and recommend them: also YES. I was one that never felt safe under jack stands, and a full out lift isn't in the cards right now. Also my regular floor jack didn't fit under my car so that was a big factor too (a good low-profile is inching on ⅓ the cost of the QJs).

Edit: my version came with and has been used solely with Teflon tape - although that's irrelevant as it isn't leaking from those connections.
If you find an aftermarket coupler that will fit the power unit, let us know. I had an o-ring get chewed up and a little leak turned into a gusher.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 04:00 PM   #37
HGreen335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 335i, S65 M3

Anyone know if you need a Costco membership to order for the discounted price? Might have to snag a friends Costco member number if so.

2007 E92 335i Coupe 6MT (Space Grey/Coral Red) VRSF Downpipes, BMS DCI, Bigtom FMIC, E-85, JB4 ISO/MHD
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 04:23 PM   #38
tbuck
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGreen335 View Post
Anyone know if you need a Costco membership to order for the discounted price? Might have to snag a friends Costco member number if so.
As far as I know you do need to be a member.
      06-15-2021, 10:30 AM   #39
trm0053
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: ///M3

I also have mixed feelings about my QuickJack 7000SLX.
First year was ok, but it just doesn't have the longevity that I was expecting from it

I owned the lift for 1.5 years and used it less than 10 times in total. It was only used in the warmer months, not abused in any way.
But here are the issues I've experienced so far:
- Female couplers leak. There is always a small amount of hydraulic fluid in the rubber caps
- Air leaks from air cylinders. This prevents the frames from lowering properly. Need to pump them up every second use
- Small amount of hydraulic fluid spewed from the vent hole on the fluid reservoir. Reminds of something, doesn't it?
- Hydraulic cylinder developed an air leak at the o-ring around the shaft. The frame wouldn't stay in the raised position until you reach the lock point. And I'm afraid that it can fail when I'm lowering the car. This issue rendered the lift unusable

The cylinder failure happened after 1.5 years, so it's out of warranty, replacement cost after the discount is around $235 USD (+ duties/taxes to import to Canada), that's a quarter of the cost of the new unit!
And to top it off they're out of stock, so my lift is out of commission when I need it the most

Their technical support (at least for Canada) is a joke.
Needless to say I was expecting a more reliable product at this price point

Last edited by trm0053; 06-15-2021 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 01:25 PM   #40
HadesM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pair of e90's

Use teflon tape

I echo the recommendations to use old fashion teflon tape versus the supplied liquid sealant.

My brother just assembled his 5000SLX and encountered multiple leaks. After he re-did the connections with teflon tape, everything is leak free.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 02:10 PM   #41
tbuck
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trm0053 View Post
I also have mixed feelings about my QuickJack 7000SLX.
First year was ok, but it just doesn't have the longevity that I was expecting from it

I owned the lift for 1.5 years and used it less than 10 times in total. It was only used in the warmer months, not abused in any way.
But here are the issues I've experienced so far:
- Female couplers leak. There is always a small amount of hydraulic fluid in the rubber caps
- Air leaks from air cylinders. This prevents the frames from lowering properly. Need to pump them up every second use
- Small amount of hydraulic fluid spewed from the vent hole on the fluid reservoir. Reminds of something, doesn't it?
- Hydraulic cylinder developed an air leak at the o-ring around the shaft. The frame wouldn't stay in the raised position until you reach the lock point. And I'm afraid that it can fail when I'm lowering the car. This issue rendered the lift unusable

The cylinder failure happened after 1.5 years, so it's out of warranty, replacement cost after the discount is around $235 USD (+ duties/taxes to import to Canada), that's a quarter of the cost of the new unit!
And to top it off they're out of stock, so my lift is out of commission when I need it the most

Their technical support (at least for Canada) is a joke.
Needless to say I was expecting a more reliable product at this price point
I would agree you would expect more for that kind of money. I am hoping I don't run into that type of problem. So far I have used it 6 times, will be using it again this weekend (we have 5 cars in the family and I service them all, so this thing will get a good workout). Many of the complaints thus far seem to center on low-usage issues, and I doubt that will be happening with me, lol! Mine will likely get used a couple times a month minimum. But, we shall see.
      06-15-2021, 05:05 PM   #42
kolosy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: over potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbuck View Post
I would agree you would expect more for that kind of money. I am hoping I don't run into that type of problem. So far I have used it 6 times, will be using it again this weekend (we have 5 cars in the family and I service them all, so this thing will get a good workout). Many of the complaints thus far seem to center on low-usage issues, and I doubt that will be happening with me, lol! Mine will likely get used a couple times a month minimum. But, we shall see.
i've used my 5000SLX pretty extensively and only have 2 complaints:

- it needs some amount of no-load room to move before it can start moving a load. with a lower car that can get dicey depending on the size of the blocks you're using, so you're trading off lift height for performance.
- they're a b*tch to move around under the car. this one is of course unavoidable given the design, but still. they're heavy, you really have to slide them around to get them to line up which scratches the enamel and then the frame starts rusting.

all that said, it certainly beats the side to side method for jackstands.

I think I have an M3 problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 06:45 PM   #43
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06/Z07

I bought the bundle kit from Costco a couple of weeks ago when it went on sale. Mine came with the liquid thread sealer but I used Teflon tape anyways that I already had. The only issue that I have yet to solve is the leaky Schrader valves. I couldn't find my valve stem core tool so I picked up another one today and will be making sure they're not just loose. They won't even hold air for more than 30 seconds so I'm guessing they're not tightened up enough. They still work but won't lower well without a load which was a pain when I was bleeding the hydraulic cylinders. That step took about 10 cycles of raising them 8" or so, opening bleed screw, tightening, and the lowering.

The 5000SLX was my choice because my M3 is only 3.5" off the ground at the front rocker jack point and with the low profile blocks (bought them on sale from ECS), it fits under and lifts perfect.

I used them to raise the car up to save my back a little while I installed my Karbonius plenum and it was very nice indeed. I plan on using them to remove all 4 wheels and get them powder coated next week as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 08:37 PM   #44
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06/Z07

Update: the Schrader valves were loose. Pumped up the air assist cylinders and we will see how they hold air this weekend
Appreciate 0