BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

10-07-2021, 12:06 AM   #1
m3fan143
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 ((IBlue)

Transmission and Diff fluid change

Hi All,
Only accumulated abour 10k miles in 3 years...car driven very conservatively...no redline..

Should I change trans and diff already? Initial fill with LiquiM and Redline

thanks
Im leaning towards waiting another 5 k miles
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 01:45 AM   #2
jellydoughnutt
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

No idea. You would have to give more information on the car. How many miles total are on the car? What year? Has it ever been changed?

Time also plays a roll in fluid breakdown. Is you car stored in a temperature controlled environment? As temperatures change, so does humidity levels and can accumulate moisture in oils which lead to faster breakdown.

Honestly, if you are debating to change it or not - just change it. The diff fluid was by far the easiest maintenance item I’ve done. My transmission pan was leaking and I had no idea because the cover absorbed the fluid. I has a shop flush the transmission and change the filters/pan.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 02:06 AM   #3
m3fan143
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 ((IBlue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellydoughnutt View Post
No idea. You would have to give more information on the car. How many miles total are on the car? What year? Has it ever been changed?

Time also plays a roll in fluid breakdown. Is you car stored in a temperature controlled environment? As temperatures change, so does humidity levels and can accumulate moisture in oils which lead to faster breakdown.

Honestly, if you are debating to change it or not - just change it. The diff fluid was by far the easiest maintenance item I’ve done. My transmission pan was leaking and I had no idea because the cover absorbed the fluid. I has a shop flush the transmission and change the filters/pan.

Hi Jelly
Thank you.
1). Car has 87000 miles. All fluids were changed at 78k miles. So almost new..almost..

2). its parked outside and covered.

Yes Im leaning to change, but didnt wanna change too early
thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 04:46 PM   #4
tbuck
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2016 F23 M235i

No reason at all to change fluids with only 10k miles on them. Those particular fluids break down with use and heat cycles, and not so much with time. Service on both of those is usually every 60k miles, so as long as quality fluids were used they are fine.
      10-07-2021, 07:13 PM   #5
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3fan143 View Post
Hi Jelly
Thank you.
1). Car has 87000 miles. All fluids were changed at 78k miles. So almost new..almost..

thanks
No need to change so soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #6
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3fan143 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellydoughnutt View Post

Hi Jelly
Thank you.

thanks
Give it hard run and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 03:23 PM   #7
Vedubin01
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

With FCP Euro return policy I change mine every 10k miles. Only because it cost me some time and about $20 for a return box.
Appreciate 0