BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

BPM

03-17-2016, 12:23 AM   #1
Bavarian Beast
Too many wagons on the bahn.....
Rep
Drives: LMB 2011 BMW e93

E93 Rear Seat Removal help needed

Any DIY info on that here? I need to remove the top part at a minimum to reach the EDC module.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 02:36 PM   #2
Gcode
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 & F80 LCI

I had the opportunity to replace a bad EDC-k module (!)

You can't remove the top part to reach the module; you will have to remove a bunch of stuff. I'm attaching the official instructions.

My experience:
- Use gloves or you will get bloody hands and knuckles.
- Put the top down for extra work space.
- Use a trim removal set.
- You have to remove the back seats (the whole thing), including the backrest, starting from the bottom part.
- You don't need to remove the rear console.
- Remove the trim for the ski bag, and then remove the ski bag.
- Use the trim removal set to pry the clips around the back part (they tend to fly far)
- Don't forget to line up the seat belts when re-installing the seats. Also, it will be really tight to wedge the last bottom seat part to make it clip and secure it.
- I tried to pull the module without removing the back part, but I couldn't reach. Remove the whole back part.
- Beers.

Once you install the replacement module make sure you code the replacement module. Very easy to do if you have the cable.

If you are going to disconnect it to use a non-electronic damper setup you will have to code the car to remove the VO for the EDC-k module.

Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Rear seat removal.pdf (131.4 KB, 2560 views)
File Type: pdf back rest removal.pdf (213.3 KB, 2005 views)
File Type: pdf rear panel removal.pdf (176.4 KB, 1809 views)
File Type: pdf EDC module.pdf (126.4 KB, 1099 views)
Appreciate 2
      03-18-2016, 10:24 PM   #3
Bavarian Beast
Rep

Thanks much! I have been looking for a while now....
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 12:31 AM   #4
Bavarian Beast
Rep

Pictures to follow.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 01:32 AM   #5
Bavarian Beast
Rep

Did you use icarley to recode the module? If not, what did you use? Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eL fUcHiLa View Post
I had the opportunity to replace a bad EDC-k module (!)

You can't remove the top part to reach the module; you will have to remove a bunch of stuff. I'm attaching the official instructions.

My experience:
- Use gloves or you will get bloody hands and knuckles.
- Put the top down for extra work space.
- Use a trim removal set.
- You have to remove the back seats (the whole thing), including the backrest, starting from the bottom part.
- You don't need to remove the rear console.
- Remove the trim for the ski bag, and then remove the ski bag.
- Use the trim removal set to pry the clips around the back part (they tend to fly far)
- Don't forget to line up the seat belts when re-installing the seats. Also, it will be really tight to wedge the last bottom seat part to make it clip and secure it.
- I tried to pull the module without removing the back part, but I couldn't reach. Remove the whole back part.
- Beers.

Once you install the replacement module make sure you code the replacement module. Very easy to do if you have the cable.

If you are going to disconnect it to use a non-electronic damper setup you will have to code the car to remove the VO for the EDC-k module.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 04:12 PM   #6
Gcode
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 & F80 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Beast View Post
Did you use icarley to recode the module? If not, what did you use? Thanks again.
I'm not sure if iCarly can recode the module. I used NCS expert to code the replacement module to the car.

Do you have the K-Dcan cable?
If you do, I can walk you through the process. It's very easy.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 10:17 PM   #7
Bavarian Beast
Rep

It is being shipped. I just moved and all of my stuff is enroute. Thanks though!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
jzyaa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

still don't get how to remove rear seats and headrest
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 06:56 AM   #9
RedCardinal
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by eL fUcHiLa View Post
I'm not sure if iCarly can recode the module. I used NCS expert to code the replacement module to the car.

Do you have the K-Dcan cable?
If you do, I can walk you through the process. It's very easy.
Hi, I ordered a used EDC through ebay from a 2011 m3 coupe for my 2013 (made in 2012) e93. Can you walk me through the coding? I have a K-dcan cable from bimmersoft, which are supposed to be good ones, and have installed the tools following the 'windows 10' thread.

edit, I got it. What I did was, I used NCS expert to read my original EDC module, then I wrote that MAN file to the new one.

Last edited by RedCardinal; 10-17-2018 at 05:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 08:00 PM   #10
RedCardinal
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 e93

For an e93 M3, anyway, you don't need to remove the seats and headrest for OP's issue which was getting at the EDC. For that, you need to remove the rear seat 'panel' which is a thin piece of plastic/lining that covers the back area in front of the trunk and also blocks access to the EDC.

I just accessed the EDC myself. To remove the panel I had to take out the secure baggage clips - one on each side - by loosening a pair of torx screws in each (t20 I think). After that it's a lot of pulling.
  • I didn't need gloves
  • first remove the bottom of each seat, just by lifting up. The two mounts are in the corners, one by the door and one by the middle panel. I started by pulling up on the seat corner by the door.
  • then remove the side bolsters. Again I just pulled from the bottom, although most things I read say start at the top.
  • I was working in my apartment building's garage, so I brought the bolsters and seats up to my apartment and used the opportunity to clean and condition them.
  • remove the ski bag trim if you have it -there are two small plates to pry out with a small flathead screwdriver, then remove the 10 mm bolts under them. You don't need to remove the ski bag itself or the back part of the trim that the bag is attached to - your goal is to take out the thin back panel, and to do that you only need to remove the front trim of the ski bag hole. These are 10mm bolts but you need a long thin one to fit in there.
  • on the rear panel itself, if you have clips to secure bags to, remove them. there are two torx screws in each one, t20.
  • Then you just need to pull the rear panel down to get it away from the top lining, and then pop the several plastic buttons that secure it the the car. I used a plastic trim pry tool to help.
  • You should see the EDC right there
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzyaa View Post
still don't get how to remove rear seats and headrest

Last edited by RedCardinal; 10-17-2018 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 11:44 PM   #11
Bavarian Beast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCardinal View Post
Hi, I ordered a used EDC through ebay from a 2011 m3 coupe for my 2013 (made in 2012) e93. Can you walk me through the coding? I have a K-dcan cable from bimmersoft, which are supposed to be good ones, and have installed the tools following the 'windows 10' thread.

edit, I got it. What I did was, I used NCS expert to read my original EDC module, then I wrote that MAN file to the new one.
I never needed to recode mine. Strange.....
Appreciate 0