BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Sponsor M3 Project Cars Showcase

09-18-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
Support@RaceWerkz
M3Post Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3, & F80 M3

RWE | Project Snowball - E92 M3 Stroker Motor

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
RaceWerkz Engineering | Project Snowball

There are Multiple ways to interpret a phrase as arrogant and cliched as The Ultimate Driving Machine. You could say that a DTM Race car is truly the only acceptable definition of such a phrase, and far be it from us to disagree. Really, what we looked at as this statement was thought of, was that the once hardened and iconic sports car of yesteryear seemed to be fading off into the distance. The fight for the biggest and most luxurious was starting to rear its sickening head as we watched helplessly. These new so called "sports cars" got fatter, safer and easier to drive. A true sports car is in no way meant to be easy to drive. It is not intended for your wife to take grocery shopping. And it is DEFINITELY not meant for soccer practice. It is meant to reveal the seemingly forgotten joys of driving. To remind us all that we can still be young at heart and that our quest to live life to the fullest hasn't ended yet. This is the spirit that lives behind our goal. We wanted a car that wasn't meant for taking 4 grown men to dinner. That wasn't necessarily the comfortable car of the morning commute. We want the car that stirs our emotions, that brings a slightly evil grin to our faces as we drive. We wanted the best of the best. In essence, we wanted the Ultimate, Ultimate Driving Machine.

We started with the heart of any car, the engine. Of course, this couldn't be your run of the mill bolt on blah blah charger making more power than God and everyone has. That's a pissing contest for the feeble and we'll settle our battles with lap times and grins. What we need is something, different. Something, shall I say, classic. We needed a naturally aspirated, punched out, loud mean revving machine. We need a stroker motor. And who else to contact other than our friends down at RDSport in Anaheim, Ca. The guys at RDS live in the land of the engines somewhere, frankly I'm scared to ask where exactly. They have built winning race engines in everything from Ferrari’s, Lamborghini’s and BMW's all the way to little Fiats. After a few short months at their camp and our sadistic 4.6liter stroker from hell was back and ready to make some noise. Drop it in, bolt it up, a quick tune and all that was on our minds was the start button to the right, clutch to the left, throttle to the right and off through the gears we go. We may mention torque a few times in this article, but understanding what we mean is difficult to truly grasp until your head is pressed firmly against the back of the seat with no hope of moving forward until the the huge Stoptech Big Brake Kit is engaged. The sound the engine makes as it runs through the rev range are shouted enthusiastically as you go from a deep low end roar all the way to an iconic M3 heavy metal-esque high end scream. This, is a true enthusiasts motor. Gobs of power, purely addictive sound, and every day drivability. Trifecta achieved.

Now with power in the back of our minds, we need to make this thing handle like an Ultimate Driving Machine. For this we need a long list of things and none of them will work right without the others. Its what we call balance and its an art form not to be taken lightly. The proper combination of suspension, aero and rubber, you'll be seeing checkered flags. Throwing some random parts in a box and hoping for the best, you'll be left scratching your head in frustration as the kid in the beater Honda runs circles around you. To make sure that doesn't happen, we rely on only the best, mixed with proper tuning and setup. First thing on the list, dampers. It's no secret anymore that the difference in well set up suspension is worth seconds over off the shelf grab and go kits which is why we turned to Motion Control Suspension all the way from Alpharetta, Ga. Motion Control Suspension (MCS) are the new kids on the block. Or are they? MCS has started to make a name for themselves, no doubt due to the top quality products they've been engineering for the past two years. It's always fun to see the "new kids on the block" showing up some of the big ol' boys in a classic game of “Who's Faster”, but are they really the new guys? The answer, put simply, is no. Many years ago, a well known company named JRZ Suspension was created, then followed another similar company by the name of Moton. Arguably two of the best suspension companies to date. The team known now as MCS, was partially responsible for the creation of both the preceded companies in their glory days. Coming from a background of not only producing excellent shocks, but also winning races around the globe in almost every professional and semi-professional race there is. Their years of expertise and experience show in their newest endeavor as we dive, both figuratively and literally, into the new MCS 2-way remotes.

Aerodynamics. Possibly the most overlooked asset of the weekend track junkie and it's one of those sad but unfortunately true facts. The big wing was ruined for most of the casual track guys thanks to the "Fast and Furious" era as we like to call it. Kids running around with big triple foil spoilers sticking off of whatever cheap import they could get their hands on before running to the street races after their day job as a pizza delivery boy. This demographic puts a bit of a crux on the self respecting business man with a family and a respectable job. The lap time improvement seems appealing but typically not at the cost of being associated with your average street racer. Luckily, there are companies like APR Performance in Pomona, Ca. The guys at APR might actually be as big a group of gear heads as we are. They love racing, real racing, with a passion. Spend 5 minutes speaking with anyone there and that statement will be made very clear. Not much can be said about APR that hasn't been said in the last 15 years. Wins in every form of Motorsport at all levels in all classes as far down the tree as you care to go. It's no surprise that APR has become the household name of aerodynamics and downforce. In our own testing we have found that a wing and our custom splitter combo from APR can lead to an excess of 4 seconds off your lap times at the local track. Scary numbers for a few bits of carbon here and there isn't it? For "Project Snowball" we outfitted the car with the GT-250 67" flat plane wing mixed with our custom race splitter. The combo is not only aesthetically pleasing, but more importantly to us, it’s fast.

Now comes the home front. The interior. This is the part that separates "sports car" from "race car". Race cars are very German. All business in the front, and, well…all business in the back too. They have little emotion about them, they are designed to work efficiently and go fast. Don't get us wrong, thats a great way to go, but this project requires a little, homey feeling too. By keeping the carpet, windows, stereo and HVAC we may keep some undesirable weight, but we don't feel so spartan inside and nostalgic for the few amenities that we don't have. The rest of the car reminds us that their is danger lurking, which brings out the chest pounding Rambo that we all dreamt of being as a kid. Our in house remake of the AE bolt in roll bar (we used chromoly and fig welded it) with some Recaros and a pair of Schroth race belts and you seem to be reminded that if the worst should happen, you'll still crawl out of the car… Probably. Finish it off with some alacantara bits here and there as well as a BMW performance wheel with built in gauges and shift lights for fun and you have a complete package.

We set out on a quest to emulate what we always dreamed of as the best all around car. Though the future may hold many of the answers to our questions, we'll keep looking forward, take the good with the bad and enjoy the ride. What we do know, is that we have a model for what we like to think could very well be one of the best, perhaps even "The Ultimate, Ultimate Driving Machine”.

PS. This is a running thread and “Project Snowball” will continue to grow and change as we see fit…or get bored. Either way, keep an eye out to see what we come up with as this car transforms.

Picture Time! Enjoy!

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
Acree
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Waiting...

Slow clap... Slow clap... Stunning build. We need to hear this engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
webninja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Great pics, and a I like all the thought and background that you outlined as part of the project. Looking forward to following this.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
jacobe92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Hell Rot F80 M3

Track M3

I've been in this car at BRP and I was completely blown away by how much torque this stroker engine has. Believe me, it's nothing remotely close to our NA stock motor. Thank goodness I was wearing my HANS device or I would have walked w/ a neck brace after that. One truly kick ass build.
2016 Hellrot F80 M3|JRZ RS Pro with Swift Springs 550/750 spring rates l AP Radical 5000R 9668/9449 lSpiegler SS LinesI DS1.11I Eisenmann DP|MPE Catback|18" Forgeline GS1R 18x10 et 22 and 18x11 et 44 NT01 275/35/18 and 305/35/18| Forgeline GTD1 18x10et43 SquarelM Performance Lip/Splitter|IND aesthetic mods|Dinan Toe Link|Fall Line mono ball conversion kit and upper link kit| Aim Solo 2DL Smarty Cam|Simpson Hybrid|Stilo Offshore helmet.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
Race Precision Motorsport
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Amazing build. The MCS are droolworthy
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #6
Support@RaceWerkz
M3Post Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acree View Post
Slow clap... Slow clap... Stunning build. We need to hear this engine.
I shall post up a video soon.....
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #7
Support@RaceWerkz
M3Post Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by webninja View Post
Great pics, and a I like all the thought and background that you outlined as part of the project. Looking forward to following this.
Thank you for the kind words. We have taken this project seriously and have put a lot of thought into it. We will continue to take it seriously as we continue to build her.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #8
Support@RaceWerkz
M3Post Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobe92 View Post
I've been in this car at BRP and I was completely blown away by how much torque this stroker engine has. Believe me, it's nothing remotely close to our NA stock motor. Thank goodness I was wearing my HANS device or I would have walked w/ a neck brace after that. One truly kick ass build.

Thank you good sir! When shall we see you at the next track event?!?!
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2014, 10:19 AM   #9
Support@RaceWerkz
M3Post Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Precision Motorsport View Post
Amazing build. The MCS are droolworthy
Thank you! The MCS have shown to be the best of the best after our adventures of various suspension set-ups.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #10
Support@RaceWerkz
M3Post Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Snowball at Willow Springs having a little fun....

Last edited by Support@RaceWerkz; 09-19-2014 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #11
mattrob
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
In for video. Crazy cool build! Looking forward to more pics and info.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #12
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP

Amazing build, well done. At first I felt the post was starting off a bit pretentious but then got into it and really enjoyed the detailed story/build rather than the typical "Hey we got some parts and threw them on. Here's pictures." Excited to see the video/hear it.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #13
blast1st
Test
Philippines
Rep
Drives: MDX as my daily @blast_1st

Do you have more engine shots?!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #14
Support@RaceWerkz
M3Post Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blast1st View Post
Do you have more engine shots?!
That we do! Will post up engine bay shots today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvinclunk View Post
Amazing build, well done. At first I felt the post was starting off a bit pretentious but then got into it and really enjoyed the detailed story/build rather than the typical "Hey we got some parts and threw them on. Here's pictures." Excited to see the video/hear it.
Thank you for the kind words. We have paid attention to the details with this build and have put thought into the parts we have chosen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrob View Post
In for video. Crazy cool build! Looking forward to more pics and info.
Video should be up in the next couple of days!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #15
Support@RaceWerkz
M3Post Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

S65 Custom Intake

Velocity stack intake for the E9X M3's S65 V8, custom built by us for our E92 track car. This setup uses ITG foam filters, runs great, and sounds amazing. It clears the stock hood with a bit of airspace, but additional air ducting is recommended for best performance.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #16
M3sicko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wow, I must say they look very unique! Any hp/performance gains?

Car looks great too in those shots!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #17
Support@RaceWerkz
M3Post Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3sicko View Post
Wow, I must say they look very unique! Any hp/performance gains?

Car looks great too in those shots!

Thank you! We will find out soon what the hp/performance gains are, once we dyno the car!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 12:28 AM   #18
JuzMe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X4; E92 M3

Looks good but won't the setup just suck in hot air from engine bay?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 11:51 PM   #19
Casey@RWE
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuzMe View Post
Looks good but won't the setup just suck in hot air from engine bay?
We made an aluminum baffle plate as well as naca ducting and a slightly lifted hood to allow the car to draw in colder air. We're working on vented carbon headlights with ducting for a "ram air" style intake as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #20
mattrob
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Headlights with ducting is such a cool idea. Hope to see that come to fruition.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #21
Lalit@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Tributo, Superfast, M5cs

This is proper
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #22
Sal@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor