BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-26-2008, 07:43 PM   #89
MarksM
Dishonorable Discharged
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 2012, M4 GTS Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss_cornholio View Post
I do, and so far I thought it woud be a wasted lap if driven in D, but I'm still interested in how it would work.
Not very well at all.

But not too bad if you pick up groceries at each corner station.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #90
sfbimmer13
Original Bavarian Heritage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
I just checked BMW TIS and there is nothing new listed for the M-DCT since the fluid replacement fiasco.

Checking Progman, version 31.1 is the latest release, but it doesn't tell me when it was released. It looks like it is applicable to the E90.91.92.and 93.

according to BMW NA Progman 31.1 is the release that contains the fixes - apparently the BMW service centers will receive it in October...do you already have 31.1?
      09-26-2008, 09:33 PM   #91
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

My car has been at the dealer for a week awaiting the update. SA just got word from the area rep (engineer) and he is not sure of the release date yet. He was going to see if he could find out and get back to my SA. I will certainly relay any info when I get it.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 05:06 AM   #92
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamr View Post
DSC was on ...
I wonder if turning it off or to MDM will have any effect? DSC is a complex system and attempts to keep the car stable at all costs. If it has connection to the M-DCT in some way (which is speculative, on my part, itself) it may be "overthinking" things and preventing shifts in trying to keep the car stable. Anyway, its just a thought. As soon as my car is broken in, I will start playing around to see if I can duplicate this, and try it under as many conditions as possible.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 11:24 AM   #93
lilcow
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

I purchased a 08 E92 mdct less than a month ago. I do not drive it hard or "track" it- maybe some day. This question may be buried in a pile of threads but how the hell do you know if you need a software upgrade? If a fella needs an upgrade- will he get a phone call from the dealer. Seems to me to be something the mandates a recall of some sort. I've read a bunch of posts re: downshifting, accereration, power management-launch mode and from my foxhole I see a safety issue. Would BMW hang us out to dry? I don't think they would. I am now contemplating a visit to my local BMW dealer in order to ask them about this "software" issue, why I was not informed prior to purchase, waste their time and drink their free coffee and soda.

BTW. I am new to this site. Hello everyone.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 11:53 AM   #94
sfbimmer13
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcow View Post
I purchased a 08 E92 mdct less than a month ago. I do not drive it hard or "track" it- maybe some day. This question may be buried in a pile of threads but how the hell do you know if you need a software upgrade? If a fella needs an upgrade- will he get a phone call from the dealer. Seems to me to be something the mandates a recall of some sort. I've read a bunch of posts re: downshifting, accereration, power management-launch mode and from my foxhole I see a safety issue. Would BMW hang us out to dry? I don't think they would. I am now contemplating a visit to my local BMW dealer in order to ask them about this "software" issue, why I was not informed prior to purchase, waste their time and drink their free coffee and soda.

BTW. I am new to this site. Hello everyone.
first of all welcome - the reason we know that we need a software upgrade is that when we reported the issues we were having to our BMW service departments most of us were told that there is a DCT software update forthcoming that should address those issues - as mentioned before certain issues only surface when you drive the car really hard. I assume that BMW has no intention pro-actively informing new customers that there are some glitches in the M-DCT software, in particular since the majority of customers will not experience them
      09-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #95
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I was at a BMW lapping day Thurs and though I did not personally experience this problem while driving at my novice level, an instructor who owns an e90M3 drove me in my car and we experienced the issue at heavy breaking from 100mph plus. On a positive note, he was enthusiastic about the DCT and said due to gearing or whatever he feels it is faster than his car and so much easier to drive! He said it was like cheating but he loved it, and he has 20+ years of high perfromance driving experience.

I cannot believe how much fun I have at these events. This is my 4th session at Pacific Raceways, and it was a thrill for me to be promoted to C group. It is all realative.
      09-27-2008, 12:24 PM   #96
marwan
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP E92 M3

my god, my M3 stalled on me in the middle of an intersection! as i was approaching a red light, i started slowing down just before the car comes to a complete stop, the light turns green and i hit the accelerate, but the car was moving slowly because it stalled as i was slowing down and it rolled slowly half way through the intersection with me knowing....it was scary since i didn't realize the car was off till like 5 seconds later. luckily no one was around, but people in the street game the stair....it was weird and dangerous, BMW needs to resolve this bug A.S.A.P since it's almost life threatening.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 12:44 PM   #97
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbimmer13 View Post
according to BMW NA Progman 31.1 is the release that contains the fixes - apparently the BMW service centers will receive it in October...do you already have 31.1?
Nope, but I see it listed as the current release for PROGMAN in TIS.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 12:51 PM   #98
sfbimmer13
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Nope, but I see it listed as the current release for PROGMAN in TIS.
well, I guess than it is just a matter of 1-2 weeks before our service centers will be able to apply the update
      09-28-2008, 07:29 AM   #99
Captain Scott
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

My new 09 will be here next week. If someone can tell me how to check which version I have, I will check for you folks.

I can also ask the dealer to check when they PDI the car as well. Just let me know what I should ask for. am I asking for what MDCT software version the car has?

Scott
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 08:23 AM   #100
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scott View Post
My new 09 will be here next week. If someone can tell me how to check which version I have, I will check for you folks.
I can also ask the dealer to check when they PDI the car as well. Just let me know what I should ask for. am I asking for what MDCT software version the car has?
Scott
It is the PROGMAN version number that you want which I believe can only be viewed by an SA when using their diagnostic equipment; which they don't use during a PDI

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 01:35 PM   #101
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scott View Post

Scott
You can't do it yourself. Needs to be done with a GT1.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #102
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by marwan View Post
my god, my M3 stalled on me in the middle of an intersection! as i was approaching a red light, i started slowing down just before the car comes to a complete stop, the light turns green and i hit the accelerate, but the car was moving slowly because it stalled as i was slowing down and it rolled slowly half way through the intersection with me knowing....it was scary since i didn't realize the car was off till like 5 seconds later. luckily no one was around, but people in the street game the stair....it was weird and dangerous, BMW needs to resolve this bug A.S.A.P since it's almost life threatening.
That is basically exactly what I have experienced, a few times. If you do not come to a complete stop, and get on the throttle, THAT is when it seems to happen. I have ad some other issues too....hopefully the software update fixes these things. Stalling out put me and my kid in the path of oncoming traffic...and there is not a damn thing you can do about it. For me, it was a serious safety issue. The car has been at the dealer for over a week now and I will not drive it until it is fixed. When I called to tell the dealer about this happening again, I expressed that it was a serious safety issue....and they totally agreed and requested I bring in my car asap, or tow it, and they would get me a rental car until they had a loaner avaialble. I just parked it at home until the loaner was available (a 328) and have been putting miles on that now. lol.

I hope they resolve it completely. I don't mind waiting a bit as I underatand this is a technical issue, etc. and am more than happy to give them some time to get it all sorted. However, if it continues to behave poorly afterwards, I think I may have to reuqest it being "lemoned" as I don't think I should have to deal with a recurring SAFETY issue after paying over 70K for a car.

Time will tell what will happen...for now, I am content on giving them the benefit of the doubt and get it sorted, which I really hope they do. I love the car...I ordered it to my specs, and am very satisfied with the car in general...just need to get the drivability issues sorted!

Good luck with your, but I advise you strongly to report it asap to the dealer and take it in for them too look at. The sooner you document it and get it looked at, the sooner they can get it fixed, or at least start to research the issue. It is important for everybody that has an issue to take the car in. If BMW gets XXXXX cars in with the same issues, they will be sure to get it together asap and get it fixed. If only a few report the issues, and just live with it, they may view it as an isolated incident and not give it a big priority to fix. So do us all a favor and take it in.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #103
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
That is basically exactly what I have experienced, a few times. If you do not come to a complete stop, and get on the throttle, THAT is when it seems to happen. I have ad some other issues too....hopefully the software update fixes these things. Stalling out put me and my kid in the path of oncoming traffic...and there is not a damn thing you can do about it. For me, it was a serious safety issue. The car has been at the dealer for over a week now and I will not drive it until it is fixed. When I called to tell the dealer about this happening again, I expressed that it was a serious safety issue....and they totally agreed and requested I bring in my car asap, or tow it, and they would get me a rental car until they had a loaner avaialble. I just parked it at home until the loaner was available (a 328) and have been putting miles on that now. lol.

I hope they resolve it completely. I don't mind waiting a bit as I underatand this is a technical issue, etc. and am more than happy to give them some time to get it all sorted. However, if it continues to behave poorly afterwards, I think I may have to reuqest it being "lemoned" as I don't think I should have to deal with a recurring SAFETY issue after paying over 70K for a car.

Time will tell what will happen...for now, I am content on giving them the benefit of the doubt and get it sorted, which I really hope they do. I love the car...I ordered it to my specs, and am very satisfied with the car in general...just need to get the drivability issues sorted!

Good luck with your, but I advise you strongly to report it asap to the dealer and take it in for them too look at. The sooner you document it and get it looked at, the sooner they can get it fixed, or at least start to research the issue. It is important for everybody that has an issue to take the car in. If BMW gets XXXXX cars in with the same issues, they will be sure to get it together asap and get it fixed. If only a few report the issues, and just live with it, they may view it as an isolated incident and not give it a big priority to fix. So do us all a favor and take it in.
Yes, great advise. Take it in and insist there raise a PUMA case on it, even if they can't reproduce it.

I'm sure BMW NA are reading this thread anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 07:19 AM   #104
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineDriver View Post
I have tracked SMG cars and have experienced a phenomenon where if you downshift immediately after braking (like at the brake point) the tranny will refuse the input if it would cause the car to overrev.
Both SMG and M-DCT will always refuse to shift *in any circumstance* if the target gear will results in a mechanical over-rev. It has nothing to do with braking.

Quote:
Is this the same thing you've been experiencing in DCT cars?
No. Search the forum for threshold braking, you should see at least two former threads about it, with pretty in depth discussion.

Quote:
I'll apologize in advance if my opinion pisses off DCT owners...
You are entitled to your opinion, and I don't think anyone will spend the energy getting upset by it. However, some might be annoyed that you didn't inform yourself just a little bit better before posting. Just HMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 07:45 AM   #105
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow I've never used the search function... how novel. Maybe the threads u cited are the source of my confusion. I'll try to live up to your standards before I post again.

So basically I still don't understand the problem. Thanks for your helpful response. Good luck to all the beta testers.
Wow. Why be so defensive and inflamatory though? Nice.

All I did was respond to you in a frank and honest way. I had no problem with yout post, as I said. Your post did contain innaccurate information though, and I replied in hope you'd get that, read up, and learn. Its all in the other threads, and spelled out pretty clearly.

Maybe next time I should sugar coat it with flowerly language and hold your hand too?

Have some coffee, and maybe lighten up a bit? Maybe?

Edit: Edited post in hopes it survives the imminent mod cleanup.

Last edited by mkoesel; 09-29-2008 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 08:06 AM   #106
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
... I've overrevved a 6MT at the track and frankly it scared me (even tho the car wasn't mine) to glance at the tach and see 9000 RPM in an M3. I think y'all might be being given a run-around by the folks you're talking to at the dealers because from what I'm getting the "threshold braking" issue is not an issue at all but rather normal operation of the vehicle. ... I'll apologize in advance if my opinion pisses off DCT owners...
Your opinions don't piss us off. It's just that your whole post comes off as arrogant and uninformed.

You over-reved someone else's car on the track?!?!?!? That's enough to shoot you on general principle.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 08:20 AM   #107
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This kind of name calling is why I rarely view site site. I stated nothing inaccurate in my post just reported my experiences and opinions. You didn't help my understanding one iota. You just said: "use the search function." Why call me a "dick" when that moniker only applies to yourself in this case?
Respect? How bout not over-reacting next time? Just a thought.

Your post was inaccurate in that it was misleading:

"... if you downshift immediately after braking (like at the brake point) the tranny will refuse the input if it would cause the car to overrev."

Blocking an overrev has nothing to do with braking, as I already stated, so your statement is only adding confusion. Sorry, but its true. Nothing to take personally, since we are all hear to help each other.

Also, you didn't indicate at all that you had seen the other threads. I was only trying to point them out.

I have no problem with your post or you personally. I just wanted to keep the info in the thread as accurate as possible.

I love how people make a post like containing a statement "I'll apologize in advance if my opinion pisses off DCT owners...". And then get all whiney when someone doesn't slap them on the back and high-five them. Ironic. Especially since I had no problem with your opinion or you. Just your facts.

Time to jump on Radiation Joe now too for saying that "your post comes off as arrogant and uninformed"? Seems to me like you are only here to start trouble and cause problems.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 08:26 AM   #108
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So why call it "threshold braking" if it has nothing to do with breaking?

How 'bout you gimme a break!
Um, dude, I said blocking an overrev has nothing to do with braking. Threshold braking obviously centers completely around braking.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 08:29 AM   #109
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You called me a dick! That deserves an FU!
Wow. Clearly you really *are* here just to start trouble.

Edit: LOL, @ edited post. Good luck to you too - with whatever in your life has you so troubled. And I mean that sincerely.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 08:40 AM   #110
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess if you quit using your left leg the brain goes too.
I wouldn't know - I have two other cars with 6MT.

Any other inciteful posts today? Get your digs in yet, yeah? Avenge your honor, defend your ego and all that?

Edit: LOL, and again with the post edit, wow.
Appreciate 0