BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

07-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #23
OneSickM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
I'd add that I would typically refrain from pulling a top sample unless I know the history of the prior oil change/s. That's why BS does not recommend it or recommend taking the first pour sample.
My friend, I apologize again from not saying it properly. I didn't take sample from the filter. I took it from engine drain plug. I let oil drain a little bit and then took sample and put the plug back in and topped the oil to refill what was drained.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #24
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickM View Post
My friend, I apologize again from not saying it properly. I didn't take sample from the filter. I took it from engine drain plug. I let oil drain a little bit and then took sample and put the plug back in and topped the oil to refill what was drained.

That can introduce contaminants that have settled to the bottom of the pan or even tiny pieces of the plug, pan, or threads.

A hand pump with a tube down the dipstick tube is ideal.
      07-11-2018, 01:02 PM   #25
OneSickM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
That can introduce contaminants that have settled to the bottom of the pan or even tiny pieces of the plug, pan, or threads.

A hand pump with a tube down the dipstick tube is ideal.
I did the same exact thing with e90 M3 I owned before this one and metal were just like universal average so I really don't think that's the problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #26
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Bingo. This is why I said to pull a sample after another 1-2k and see if the wear metals are still high.
That's a risk with his amount of metal levels ! What if he gets rod knock during your 1-2K ?
While he/we know about his bad BS report.

Like I said above , it's better he takes the necessary precaution in his situation !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 06:05 PM   #27
OneSickM
Captain
Rep

SYT_Shadow Any additional input from your experience other than rod bearings (which I will perform in next couple of weeks)?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #28
SoCalRPM
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I would do RB right away - or I wouldn't be able to start the car without being nervous.

Quote:
There is no shop would do oil analysis on spot.
Food for thought - I was recently getting a PPI on an e92 and wanted to get a BS analysis just for safety. Got the PPI on a Tuesday, they pulled an oil sample, paid next-day shipping, and Blackstone sent us the PDF on Thursday.

Not same day, of course, but pretty decent turnaround time if you can be patient. I could have also done overnight shipping but that would have just been silly $.

^^ not meant to say woulda/coulda/shoulda - just want to throw it out there if it helps anyone in the future ^^

Last edited by SoCalRPM; 07-23-2018 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 09:32 PM   #29
OneSickM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRPM View Post
I would do RB right away - or I wouldn't be able to start the car without being nervous.

Food for thought - I was recently getting a PPI on an e92 and wanted to get a BS analysis just for safety. Got the PPI on a Tuesday, they pulled an oil sample, paid next-day shipping, and Blackstone sent us the PDF on Thursday.

Not same day, of course, but pretty decent turnaround time if you can be patient. I could have also done overnight shipping but that would have just been silly $.

^^ not meant to say woulda/coulda/shoulda - just want to throw it out there if it helps anyone in the future ^^
RB is not the only thing that worries me. The other high wear metal is making me nervous. The previous owner told me that the sample was taken when engine was cold and the first drops. Could this be indicative that the report is showing more than average?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 10:13 PM   #30
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRPM View Post

Blackstone has said they will process samples faster if they're sent via an expedited shipping service. You might also want to call them in advance and ensure they aren't backed up with other stuff (tends to happen at random).

Quote:
RB is not the only thing that worries me. The other high wear metal is making me nervous. The previous owner told me that the sample was taken when engine was cold and the first drops. Could this be indicative that the report is showing more than average?

It's not the ideal way to sample. Any contaminants will sink to the bottom and be the first to come out from the drain plug. It would likely show high contaminant counts.

Best way is warm, mid-stream.
      08-09-2018, 10:23 PM   #31
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

6MT or DCT?

With that kind of metals showing in your oil analysis, the car is for sure has been "DRIVEN".

The abuse doesn't have to be from tracking or racing. It could be from people not properly warming up the car and driving it right off the lot revving it high.

Start with a rod bearing change and go from there. Use an oil additive like MOS2 or CERATEC to prevent further wear on the engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 06:29 PM   #32
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Alpine White

Why is everyone dancing around the obvious. Replace your Rod Bearings. Keep wishing that somehow it will all just get better and go away.

I just don't understand. $2500 or $11,000-$15,000. Which would you prefer to spend.

I did the same thing you did an purchased a car from a dealership without maintenance records. At least they provided a 2 year warranty.

However, the next day I took it to MRF Engineering and had the bearings replaced. After about year and a half of ownership. I'm almost caught up on the maintenance.

Tomorrow, I'm doing the diff fluid. Next will be the DCT Fluid replacement. Then coolant. Not doing brake fluid as I have Stoptech Trophy front and rear to install.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 09:23 PM   #33
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dre View Post
Why is everyone dancing around the obvious. Replace your Rod Bearings. Keep wishing that somehow it will all just get better and go away.

I just don't understand. $2500 or $11,000-$15,000. Which would you prefer to spend.

I did the same thing you did an purchased a car from a dealership without maintenance records. At least they provided a 2 year warranty.

However, the next day I took it to MRF Engineering and had the bearings replaced. After about year and a half of ownership. I'm almost caught up on the maintenance.

Tomorrow, I'm doing the diff fluid. Next will be the DCT Fluid replacement. Then coolant. Not doing brake fluid as I have Stoptech Trophy front and rear to install.
I’m in total agreement. Not saying this is the case here but as these cars become cheaper and cheaper, people who can now afford the M3 sometimes realize that maintenance costs are above estimates.

The typical maintenance costs like oil and fluids aren’t the question but DCT seals, throttle actuators, rod bearings, air con transistor, etc. are now adding several thousands of dollars.

It’s natural for these owners to put off something they don’t have to, sometimes it doesn’t work out well in the end like you stated. To save a couple of thousand, risk blowing a motor for many thousands more. I think the oil sample is speaking volumes.
Appreciate 0