BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

BPM

02-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #1343
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Tree View Post

anybody know what watch this is? Or anything remotely similar
could be a vintage rolex Daytona (panda) (paul newman)

or an omega, which was designed to look similar.

speedmaster professional panda look alike. I think this one might be closer to the one in the image as the subdials are all closer together.

Otherwise, there's probably many other replicas, or similar layouts out there.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #1344
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

depends on price range. If you're willing to look beyond swiss and german, you can get a tourbillon for around 1,000$ or less. (chinese movement) toss the lunar calendar on there too...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #1345
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Tree View Post

anybody know what watch this is? Or anything remotely similar
Actually, I don't think it's either that I posted....

a few extra markings and tachymeter missing.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:20 AM   #1346
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
I'm too lazy to go through the whole thread. Any reputable places to get an Omega? I've looked online and I worry about getting scammed. What sites do you use?
I was in the Omega boutique here in Vancouver just two days ago. There was a sign up in the store telling clients not to purchase any Omega watches online, anywhere, as they are non-certifiable and probably non-genuine.

What do people on here think of Louis Vuitton Watches? In July 2011 they acquired the Fabrique de Temps of Geneva company, a house of watch artisans that are able to produce some of the finest watch complications in the industry. All their watches are also backed by 10 year warranties, which means they must be pretty confident in the build-quality?

Last edited by Vanity; 02-13-2012 at 02:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #1347
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
I was in the Omega boutique here in Vancouver just two days ago. There was a sign up in the store telling clients not to purchase any Omega watches online, anywhere, as they are non-certifiable and probably non-genuine.

What do people on here think of Louis Vuitton Watches? In July 2011 they acquired the Fabrique de Temps of Geneva company, a house of watch artisans that are able to produce some of the finest watch complications in the industry. All their watches are also backed by 10 year warranties, which means they must be pretty confident in the build-quality?
I'm not sure what to think of that little post it not that Omega puts in the display cases with the watches. To me it seems a bit of a joke because there are so many jewelry stores that sell online now that a lot of the ones online are certified and genuine. It was probably small stores complaining to Omega that they were losing a lot of sales to the internet and that was their response.

I'll be interested to see if that 10 year warranty comes into play. Seems a bit excessive for a watch. They will probably put so many stupulations on the watch that you won't be able to wear it during those 10 years without voiding the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #1348
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
I'm not sure what to think of that little post it not that Omega puts in the display cases with the watches. To me it seems a bit of a joke because there are so many jewelry stores that sell online now that a lot of the ones online are certified and genuine. It was probably small stores complaining to Omega that they were losing a lot of sales to the internet and that was their response.

I'll be interested to see if that 10 year warranty comes into play. Seems a bit excessive for a watch. They will probably put so many stupulations on the watch that you won't be able to wear it during those 10 years without voiding the warranty.
Of the Louis Vuitton things I do own, I know that you can almost do anything to your products and they will fix it. The service is outstanding, IMO. Most of their things have life-time warranties like their luggaes and clothings, and that's also life-time alterations/tailoring services. Of the watches, I was invited to the private Men's Time Piece event where Benoit Vuitton was present to present the new watches. Some absolutely unique movements were on display, and some of the movements I didn't even know we're possible, nor have I seen them like that else where. They had two watches on display that both took 1 year of hand assembly. They fetched $200,000 and 350,000 CAD, respectively.
      02-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #1349
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
depends on price range. If you're willing to look beyond swiss and german, you can get a tourbillon for around 1,000$ or less. (chinese movement) toss the lunar calendar on there too...
I have yet to find an Asian tourbillon that appeals to me. Most look cheap. Also, I can't imagine how hard it would be to find someone to service an Asian tourbillon!

I just realised that this is a 3 series thread. oops

Last edited by mshanno1; 02-13-2012 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #1350
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
could be a vintage rolex Daytona (panda) (paul newman)

or an omega, which was designed to look similar.

speedmaster professional panda look alike. I think this one might be closer to the one in the image as the subdials are all closer together.

Otherwise, there's probably many other replicas, or similar layouts out there.
Not sure what it is either, but it appears to definately be vintage by the color of the lume on the numbers
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #1351
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emory335 View Post
Hublot F1 King Power, usually.
From a visual standpoint, I never understood the appeal of Hublot's or AP's(Royal Oak). Never actually seen one in person though either.

Last edited by mshanno1; 02-13-2012 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #1352
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshanno1 View Post
I have yet to find an Asian tourbillon that appeals to me. Most look cheap. Also, I can't imagine how hard it would be to find someone to service an Asian tourbillon!

I just realised that this is a 3 series thread. oops
I haven't seen one in person, so I can't comment on the quality (obviously not swiss quality) It's pretty much the same movement in most of them from what I've seen. Android watches has a version of it, they make some interesting stuff, but 95% of their stuff comes from the asian market, just the cases are american.

Don't worry about it being a 3-series thread, I think there's been some input from every forum.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #1353
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Of the Louis Vuitton things I do own, I know that you can almost do anything to your products and they will fix it. The service is outstanding, IMO. Most of their things have life-time warranties like their luggaes and clothings, and that's also life-time alterations/tailoring services. Of the watches, I was invited to the private Men's Time Piece event where Benoit Vuitton was present to present the new watches. Some absolutely unique movements were on display, and some of the movements I didn't even know we're possible, nor have I seen them like that else where. They had two watches on display that both took 1 year of hand assembly. They fetched $200,000 and 350,000 CAD, respectively.
where was the presentation done?

Where do you go to find watches in BC? I'm in Ontario, might be moving out that direction some time within the next year. Time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #1354
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
where was the presentation done?

Where do you go to find watches in BC? I'm in Ontario, might be moving out that direction some time within the next year. Time will tell.
The presentation was a small invite-only event held at the Louis Vuitton boutique in the Fairmont Vancouver Hotel.

As for watches, there's a bunch of high-end retails in the Fairmont like LV, Gucci, Omega, etc. In or around the neighborhood you can almost find any brand. It's downtown, so all the major boutiques are selling here. There's also a shop in the mall downtown, Pacific Mall, that carries a number of high-end names like Brietling, Rolex, AP, etc.
      02-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #1355
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The presentation was a small invite-only event held at the Louis Vuitton boutique in the Fairmont Vancouver Hotel.

As for watches, there's a bunch of high-end retails in the Fairmont like LV, Gucci, Omega, etc. In or around the neighborhood you can almost find any brand. It's downtown, so all the major boutiques are selling here. There's also a shop in the mall downtown, Pacific Mall, that carries a number of high-end names like Brietling, Rolex, AP, etc.
ahhh, didn't know the Fairmont had that in there. I'll be sure to check it out next time I'm there visiting friends/looking for a new home. Thanks for the tips.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #1356
808@702
8th BMW, 520th Surfboard
Rep
Drives: My girlfriends crazy!

My trusty Rip Curl surfing competition watch with tide chart, moon phase and rotating bezel.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #1357
128vertinnoho
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128iC

Cartier Roadster
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #1358
Brain
Banned
Rep
Drives: broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
I'm too lazy to go through the whole thread. Any reputable places to get an Omega? I've looked online and I worry about getting scammed. What sites do you use?
Try tourneau downtown
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 06:21 AM   #1359
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

Quote:
There is no watch which takes one year of hand assembly. None. Six weeks or so of actual time is about it even for the most complicated watches and even then you're looking at the master watchmaker adjusting the watch as he goes. This for typical work weeks in either Switzerland or Germany and by that I mean I'm also including weekends and such when the highly trained and very skilled master watchmaker is home and not working on a watch at all. In other words assembly in actual working days also including days off.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #1360
CamelBiscuit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshanno1 View Post
Currently: Suunto Core, all black

Switch out the following:
PAM288
Brietling Navitimer
Rolex Deep Sea Sea Dweller

I am fascinated by tourbillons, but they are way out of my price range.
I love SUUNTO!!! It has worked for me in some times of need. At home I love my Movado.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #1361
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Looking around, I see tourbillon watches, and all are WAY out of my price range, $30,000 to infinity.

Would anyone buy a Chinese tourbillon? I found Torous watches, an outfit that carries only tourbillon watches, ranging from 2-5 grand, I assume they are chinese made.

Tourbillons sure are cool.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #1362
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
Looking around, I see tourbillon watches, and all are WAY out of my price range, $30,000 to infinity.

Would anyone buy a Chinese tourbillon? I found Torous watches, an outfit that carries only tourbillon watches, ranging from 2-5 grand, I assume they are chinese made.

Tourbillons sure are cool.
i agree they are cool, but they are an extinct technology. Some people see them as collectable, so think they are a joke.

They initially designed for at home clocks that stay stationary. They were put in wrist watches because it was a challenge. As people move their wrists around all day, it makes the tourbillon obsolete.

So, to put a value on the complication is 100% up to you. You can find some for about 1000$ Just type tourbillon into amazon.com.

generally the movement is made in China.

I've been very tempted go get one just for the sake of having a tourbillon in my collection. But it's not a movement I go looking for specifically.

Only you can justify the piece to yourself

If you want a bargan of a watch, check out the Grand Seiko watches, they have minute repeaters and everything.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #1363
Patrick303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Garage List
For anyone itching to add a Tourbillon to your collection at a reasonable price, Android is having a sale right now on one of theirs..... http://www.android-usa.com/SearchRes...x=0&Search.y=0
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #1364
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick719 View Post
For anyone itching to add a Tourbillon to your collection at a reasonable price, Android is having a sale right now on one of theirs..... http://www.android-usa.com/SearchRes...x=0&Search.y=0
Ironically, I've been debating grabbing this watch, I've found it a million places or 8-900$ But i'd rather buy from the manufacturer.

may jump on this.
Appreciate 0