BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

05-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
thepennster
Rep
Drives: 08 Montego Blue 335 xi

Is ED worth it if I can't vacation?

Hi guys, been lurking for a while and finally decided to post to get your opinions. First off, I wanted to say how incredible this board is, I have learned so much in a short span (such as the existence of ED).

Now on to my question: I am looking to sell my 08 E92 335xi and pick up a 2011 M3 and like everyone else I am looking for the best deal possible. ED is obviously the way to go, however my question is because of work this year, I will be pretty much unable to get any sort of extended vacation. I know part of ED is not only the price, but the experience of picking up your car and driving it in Europe. I can at best get 4 days of vacation, and that includes the week-end (I work in the Financial Services industry, and we're going through some crazy stuff this year).

If my primary driver is to get the best deal possible, am I better off just ordering my car at a dealership and hopefully get a nice deal somewhere in So Cal? While doing an ED is great, I will still have to pony for 2 plane tickets, hotel, meals etc...At that point after expenses, is the cost difference all that great? If I could get a week or two off from work, ED would be a no brainer but the best I can muster this year is flying to Germany, picking up the car, drive it for a day, then drop it off for shipment. Any feedback is really appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
kcdude24
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I'm guessing it will be a near wash in savings by time you pay your way there. Think if it this way....can you do the trip for less than ~$3800? That is the savings for ED (ED invoice+$1k dealer fee vs. US invoice +$1k dealer profit). If so, then is it worth your time to go there? Also travel from the west coast kills two of the days. So day 1 flying over, day 2 delivery, day 3 open day then drop off, day 4 fly home. Adding one more day would give you more options.

I'm sure there have been others doing EDs on a quick turn. One option would be to make the trip, take delivery, have it trucked over to the drop off point, take a few days to tour Munich/Welt and then head home. Aside from the long flight, it would be a nice long weekend. You can also time it for some events like Octoberfest or in our case during the first couple of Germany's World Cup games.

Alternatively, there are some nice day trips if you want to drive during your time there and can get another day. In this case I would pick up the car and immediately head south. You could cover the Fussen castles and some alpine driving over a couple of days before dropping off and heading home. Just keep in mind that some of your time is taken up with the dropoff.

There are a bunch of options for a short trip. I'd think about the experience to see if it interests you...budget wise you should still come out ahead considering the short trip.

Last edited by kcdude24; 05-26-2010 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
outie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS

Garage List
If you are just going alone, you can save another $1k there for plane ticket. For hotels, if you just stay in Munich it's about $70-$80/night for Marriott or Renaissance through Priceline bid. Personally the most exciting moment I had was not driving around Europe, but the great Welt Delivery experience - the Premium Lounge, the staircase, the rotating platform, victory lap, Factory tour. The plane rides could be exhausting though, in such a short period of time.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep
Drives: 997TT, X5M

yes, i saved over $3500. If you use FF miles, check in, stay a night and go home you will save over $3000.
      05-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
thepennster
Rep

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I wish I could get away with only buying one ticket, but my girlfriend would never let me go to Germany without her be it for one day or one month. Seems like at this point that doing an ED would be a very minimal cost savings, for me anyways.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
kcdude24
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepennster View Post
Seems like at this point that doing an ED would be a very minimal cost savings, for me anyways.
We then it is settled....might as well go if it is a wash right? Speaking from many years of marriage experience, I'm guessing that taking your girlfriend will pay dividends for several months/years to come.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

if you can do the ed you should def do it, even if its only for a small amount of time. just to goto the plant and such woudl be pretty cool.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
ebeem
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M - Paket

do it

some spend a long weekend in vegas,others do a quick shopping trip to Europe to pick up a brand new BMW
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
thepennster
Rep

Haha, that's a way to look at it. I guess I'm just a little leery about what such a short turn-around trip would do to me. I guess I'd come back exhausted, but with a new car! I just sort of feel like if I went out there, I should make it worth my while (not that it already isn't) but like everyone says: how awesome is it to go there, pick up your car and spend a few days driving it around Europe...I just sort of feels like a waste to me to not be able to enjoy the local area.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
outie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS

Garage List
You would come back exhausted, but not with a new car until 1-2months later!
Appreciate 0