BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

02-27-2016, 04:41 AM   #1
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

E92 M3 vs Audi A5.

Just driving on a Saturday, enjoying the scenery and playing Credence Clearwater Revival and slowing to a red light about 50 metres ahead . In the other lane an Audi A5 zipped by and braked. I roll to a halt and we sit at the lights. He started nosing ahead in anticipation of the light turning green and me, amused more than anything, tapped my M button.

Lights turn green and the outcome is predictable (Audi A5 in my rear mirror) and I pull back, big grin and all, and move into the slow lane to let the Audi pass. Was going to give a smile and a wave and, looking into the car, saw the driver ignoring me and his wife, in the passenger seat, glaring at me??!! Not sure whether she's angry at him, or angry at me, or what, I shrugged and turned up the volume. They accelerated up the hill and were away.

I wondered what the drama was. One of life's little mysteries, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 05:02 AM   #2
Shazz
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Don't you look at the driver before you accelerate off? I'd be concerned it was an undercover police car!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 05:05 AM   #3
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I was intending to accelerate hard to the speed limit and not go faster, so wasn't too concerned, plus our police don't have the money for Audis (or BMWs or mercs). Accelerating hard isn't an offence, i think, although burning rubber is. There's probably a reckless driving they might apply, but then they'd have to arrest half of my town.

Last edited by BanjoPaterson; 02-27-2016 at 05:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 05:52 AM   #4
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazz View Post
Don't you look at the driver before you accelerate off? I'd be concerned it was an undercover police car!
I probably should look at the other driver. My fugly face would scare them enough to give me a good headstart. Have to think about that one.

On a somewhat serious note, the thrill of accelerating hard at the lights sorta lost its appeal when I realized that once I got to the speed limit I'd stop accelerating. So all of five seconds of fun and then nothing. However, the twisty roads near where I live are much more fun, provided one doesn't collide with a kangaroo (as my mate did in his X3). Driven with great respect, they are a hoot.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 10:06 PM   #5
CognitiveDistortion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Saw this commercial today and it made me chuckle:

Appreciate 1
      03-01-2016, 09:08 PM   #6
kookie
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoPaterson View Post
I was intending to accelerate hard to the speed limit and not go faster, so wasn't too concerned, plus our police don't have the money for Audis (or BMWs or mercs). Accelerating hard isn't an offence, i think, although burning rubber is. There's probably a reckless driving they might apply, but then they'd have to arrest half of my town.
You can still get a fine for accelerating hard.

Got done years ago with the offense "excessive acceleration."
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 04:05 AM   #7
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookie View Post

Wow! That's harsh.

I've developed a theory. The Audi A5 was the quicker one, if I recall, and the specs say a 0-100 of about 5.8, which is very quick. So I imagine they enjoy the occasional "stick it to the BMW"* and probably do quite well, except against my M3. Maybe the look me was spoiling their fun.

* Lots of people seem to do this. Who knows why.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 11:19 AM   #8
Db750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 991S & 2013 M3 CP

Quote:
Just driving on a Saturday, enjoying the scenery and playing Credence Clearwater Revival and slowing to a red light about 50 metres ahead . In the other lane an Audi A5 zipped by and braked. I roll to a halt and we sit at the lights. He started nosing ahead in anticipation of the light turning green and me, amused more than anything, tapped my M button.

Lights turn green and the outcome is predictable (Audi A5 in my rear mirror) and I pull back, big grin and all, and move into the slow lane to let the Audi pass. Was going to give a smile and a wave and, looking into the car, saw the driver ignoring me and his wife, in the passenger seat, glaring at me??!! Not sure whether she's angry at him, or angry at me, or what, I shrugged and turned up the volume. They accelerated up the hill and were away.

What you just witnessed, my friend, is the Power of the Buldge (that lovely bump on your hood women go crazy over). The wife is only mad because she can not have you. I am assuming you just got your car, because this happens to me almost every day.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 08:27 PM   #9
BanjoPaterson
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

One Beautiful Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Db750 View Post
What you just witnessed, my friend, is the Power of the Buldge (that lovely bump on your hood women go crazy over). The wife is only mad because she can not have you. I am assuming you just got your car, because this happens to me almost every day.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 09:30 PM   #10
Three Pedal Steve
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe' 6mt

Garage List
Since you were in an M3, even with factory exhaust, the engine noise, as you went, by is something they have never heard in an Audi........... Or maybe it was the CCR!

memories: '71 2002 (new), '72 Bavaria, '74 2002tii, '00 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #11
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

The A5 driver was likely nuts. Unless he gets alongside a 328i, there is little chance of him winning anything.

If you want to drag race people you need to start by buying a powerful car.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #12
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 M3, '18 S560, '16 G63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Db750
Quote:

LOL great morning read

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2016, 10:36 PM   #13
OnlySoMany
The White Devil
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Db750 View Post
All women love a big bulge

2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport - Trofeo White Tri Coat - The Daily Driver
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #14
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yeppp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookie View Post

Def illegal LOL. Where I live they write you for rapid acceleration or MUCH worse. "Participating in a speed contest"...The later is instant revokation if convicted. Or the Ol' "Reckless Driving"...

That being said the S5 cannot keep pace with a modded M3. But a few bucks in upgrades and they can hustle.