BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-24-2020, 04:33 PM   #177
jamba
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 Jetblack

Garage List
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
just picked my car up for bearings from IS Motorsports.
Ian did a great job. My bearings were actually in decent condition but better safe than sorry I guess.

Ian also fixed a boost leak among other things. Top notch place; I couldn't be happier. Can't wait to see what the shop evolves to now with the extra space.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 04:37 PM   #178
Captain Starbucks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamba View Post
just picked my car up for bearings from IS Motorsports.
Ian did a great job. My bearings were actually in decent condition but better safe than sorry I guess.

Ian also fixed a boost leak among other things. Top notch place; I couldn't be happier. Can't wait to see what the shop evolves to now with the extra space.
Good to hear! I just spoke with Ian on the phone a few days ago. He said he just finished up a supercharger car. Must have been yours.

I'm dropping my car off this Thursday for BE/ARP's. I'm at 60k. How many miles on yours and can you post a pic?
1968 Impala Convertible, original owners
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 04:54 PM   #179
jamba
Captain
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Starbucks View Post
Good to hear! I just spoke with Ian on the phone a few days ago. He said he just finished up a supercharger car. Must have been yours.

I'm dropping my car off this Thursday for BE/ARP's. I'm at 60k. How many miles on yours and can you post a pic?
yep, that's me. I also did BE/ARPs. only have 48K miles
I couldn't tell you if I felt a difference because of the rod bearings but I definitely felt a difference with the work that Ian did to fix my vacuum leaks.

There's another E92 there right now getting bearings done as well. Feels like he's doing 1-2 per week at this pace.

I didn't take great pics, but here they are

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jaZkCjMKMAakureS8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cgimoZQfRepLWc689
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 12:27 AM   #180
GodsHubris
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 12 E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:

yep, that's me. I also did BE/ARPs. only have 48K miles
I couldn't tell you if I felt a difference because of the rod bearings but I definitely felt a difference with the work that Ian did to fix my vacuum leaks.

There's another E92 there right now getting bearings done as well. Feels like he's doing 1-2 per week at this pace.

I didn't take great pics, but here they are

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jaZkCjMKMAakureS8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cgimoZQfRepLWc689
Yup, he's doing mine right now. Looks like he's going back to back to back with our 3 cars 😉
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 10:32 PM   #181
sansin
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsHubris View Post
Yup, he's doing mine right now. Looks like he's going back to back to back with our 3 cars 😉
i was in for some other work and saw jamba's car. he did the RBs on my old e90 and said he is doing about 1/week now
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 09:47 AM   #182
jamba
Captain
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansin View Post
i was in for some other work and saw jamba's car. he did the RBs on my old e90 and said he is doing about 1/week now

what are you driving now? your username sounds familiar
      02-26-2020, 10:32 PM   #183
sansin
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:

what are you driving now? your username sounds familiar
another e90. this is my old username that was hacked... my former e90 is in this thread under username mmbv1000 (hacker). sold the old one and got a 4runner, but missed the M so much i had to find another one
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 01:48 PM   #184
Captain Starbucks
Private First Class
Rep

Picked up my car from Ian last night after he did the BE rod bearings and ARP bolts. He did a good job and is a super nice guy. I would highly recommend him.

The pics of my bearings are posted on the official S65 bearing thread. 2011 with 60k and I'm glad I did them!

Who owns the other Alpine White E90 with the black roof and black 359's? I parked next to you and our cars are IDENTICAL.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 01:22 PM   #185
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

Has anyone been in touch with IS Motorsports lately? I'm trying to get a few things installed, but can't reach anyone. I've emailed everyday this week and called, no response to anything.

Alternatively, is there any other shop worth checking? Need test pipe, MPE, KW HAS install, tune and maybe other stuff. I would prefer try IS, but I can't get an install if no one responds. I've used Group 2 in the past since they are close by, but their pricing is outrageous these days.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #186
Captain Starbucks
Private First Class
Rep

I haven't talked to him since he finished my bearings last winter. I have no other recommendations since I've only used Ian.

On the bright side, my engine is still in one piece!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #187
astris
Major
Rep

Quote:
I haven't talked to him since he finished my bearings last winter. I have no other recommendations since I've only used Ian.

On the bright side, my engine is still in one piece!
Good to hear! Were they pretty good with communication during the process? Trying to figure out if they are just super busy or if something else is going on.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 02:14 PM   #188
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by astris View Post
Good to hear! Were they pretty good with communication during the process? Trying to figure out if they are just super busy or if something else is going on.
I just had my car with him on monday. He went on vacation for two weeks starting today though.
      08-06-2020, 02:30 PM   #189
astris
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
I just had my car with him on monday. He went on vacation for two weeks starting today though.
well that's good to know! guessing he was just ignoring stuff knowing he was heading out? will have to hit him up in a couple weeks.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 02:39 PM   #190
Captain Starbucks
Private First Class
Rep

He's a good guy. I'm sure there are others as well but I do recommend him.

You might be able to save a few bucks using alternative payment methods with him. He's receptive to that. Win/Win for both parties.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 03:50 PM   #191
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
well that's good to know! guessing he was just ignoring stuff knowing he was heading out? will have to hit him up in a couple weeks.
I don't think he would purposefully do that. I actually messaged him on IG lol. The modern era is funny like that.
      08-12-2020, 02:24 AM   #192
TMANN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 M3; '95 M3; '12 X535d

Another positive reference for Ian, great guy, and that dude deserves a vacation! He re-opened IS in their current (new) location back in January. He did my RB's in Feb, then another round of lighter work in April, then squeezed me in for a quick fix prior to a track day on my E36 in June...he's been slammed.
I don't know why, but every time I find a good, new-to-me shop, it gets busy as hell. I've had good experiences also with G2 and Achtuning, but each have their challenges with cost and/or schedule. Eastside European is also good for straight-up repairs, but can't bring your own parts, I know one of the mechanics there (Adam).
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 12:23 AM   #193
Rassilon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 m3

Quote:
Has anyone been in touch with IS Motorsports lately? I'm trying to get a few things installed, but can't reach anyone. I've emailed everyday this week and called, no response to anything.

Alternatively, is there any other shop worth checking? Need test pipe, MPE, KW HAS install, tune and maybe other stuff. I would prefer try IS, but I can't get an install if no one responds. I've used Group 2 in the past since they are close by, but their pricing is outrageous these days.
kd motorsports
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 11:20 AM   #194
ol doc gully
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 72 240Z, tacorunner

What bearings do these shops like or recommend, particularly IS Motorsports? I’m planning on reaching out to them shortly and I’d imagine most shops are willing to use whatever a customer brought in, but just curious what the general feedback has been, and any relation to warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:50 AM   #195
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol doc gully View Post
What bearings do these shops like or recommend, particularly IS Motorsports? I’m planning on reaching out to them shortly and I’d imagine most shops are willing to use whatever a customer brought in, but just curious what the general feedback has been, and any relation to warranty.
You'd have to ask a specific shop if they have a bearing recommendation - might differ from one to the next. You might have trouble getting a recommendation as most shops I called 4 years ago were not that familiar with E9x M3 rod bearing replacement.

With that said these shops should use whatever you bring in. I spoke to Ian at IS Motorsports (formerly IS Garage) years ago and he wasn't, at least at the time, in the business of ordering these parts so he requested that I just bring in the bearings/bolts I wanted installed.

I ended up going with Group 2 Motorsports, mostly because they were far more convenient for me, location wise. They ordered the parts that I specified (in my case BE bearings/ARP bolts). Don't forget to have the motor mounts replaced at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 02:19 AM   #196
TMANN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 M3; '95 M3; '12 X535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol doc gully View Post

Ian just finished service on my X5, he's busy, but available. He did my S65 rod bearings last year, see posts above, all good. I brought in motor mounts, VAC's bearing kit and their baffled oil pan as I was originally going to track my M3. The combination of those bearings and IS install = great service and best price I could find in PS.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 05:41 PM   #197
ol doc gully
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 72 240Z, tacorunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMANN View Post
Ian just finished service on my X5, he's busy, but available. He did my S65 rod bearings last year, see posts above, all good. I brought in motor mounts, VAC's bearing kit and their baffled oil pan as I was originally going to track my M3. The combination of those bearings and IS install = great service and best price I could find in PS.
thanks very much for that, IS definitely sounds like the way to go, time to make it happen
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 10:12 PM   #198
digitalPULSE
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Ian/IS Motorsports is awesome and I've taken my M3 to him for every major mechanical service for my car so far. Just before Christmas I had him replace the clutch and flywheel (2008 MT E92) on my car as well as replace the brake rotors and pads, and he did my rod bearing service back in March of 2017. BE bearings with ARP bolts still going strong with zero issues almost 4 years and 40,000 miles later. I plan on having IS Motorsports handle my valve cover replacement sometime later this year, too.

The shop looked crazy busy based on the number of cars and activity when I was there dropping my car off - like 3-4 E9X M3s, an M4, a wide-body MKV Supra that was being unloaded in the parking lot, plus some other cars. Even though it looked packed in the shop I didn't have any issues or delays with getting my car in for service and I never had any issues getting ahold of Ian when calling the shop.

When I picked up my car I did have a few minutes to chat with Ian and better check out the shop. I asked him about the rod bearing services and I recall him saying that he's recommending the VAC bearings nowadays. I haven't paid attention to the rod bearing stuff for a few years now, but I think he preferred VAC bearings because they're easier to source over the BE bearings and that there's a prove service history out there now. I'd just say give him a call and see what he can do for you and your situation.
Appreciate 0