BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-08-2020, 07:35 AM   #1
nickauger
Private
Rep
Drives: m3 e90

nitron suspension spring rate

Is it me or those spring rate are not really what most people run in North america ?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 12:31 PM   #2
e36clubracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ram 3500, f80M3, e36M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickauger View Post

Is it me or those spring rate are not really what most people run in North america ?
It honestly depends. There seems to be two camps regarding spring rates for track/race cars on BMWs.

My own research and talking with several race engineers leads me to believe one group prefers the suspension not to move much to essentially reduce changes in geometry during cornering. So they recommend higher spring rates and do shock dialing as necessary. This is essentially easier for the average joe to work with.

The other group likes to run a lower rate and let the suspension move and change spring rates as needed while also doing some shock dialing as necessary. This can be better dialed for the track but will require a lot more work to get it just right.

Which one is better? That is for you to decide.... Both can be setup to be fast.
Appreciate 2
tsk941522.00