BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-18-2009, 10:10 PM   #23
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, f31 330, f31 328d

Quick thoughts:

- bad comparison on the OP's part to compare the M3 to a MB CLS 63, should have been c63. All agree.
- M3 is still based on the 3 series foundation, which is the entry level model (for a luxury brand). You want top lux, go look at the M5/M6. All agree.
- Interesting point made on this thread, should BMW have kept the screen even if buyers don't get the Nav. I say yes.

My reasoning: Even a basic 3 is a 40k car (with options). I don't know why BMW doesn't just keep the same dash and screen for Nav and non Nav cars alike. Some luxury brands still keep a screen even if it does not have a Nav option installed (ie Acura TL, Audi, etc). Think its kind of cheap on BMW's part not to just leave it in there. Its the same on a 5 series, if you do or don't have Nav. Thoughts?

2006 M3 ZHP in IB (Crashed) | 2005 M3 ZHP in IB (Sold)
2004 M3 in IR - Current
2018 330ix Wagon - Current
2017 328d Wagon - Current
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 10:13 PM   #24
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

For a while my friend had his mind set on the Audi S5 having a better interior overall. But as he kept on riding in my M3, he started to notice the interior for it's simplicity, build and quality. He actually now likes the M3 interior instead of the S5. I was never a fan of the C63 interior. It reminds me of the G37 esp the transmission console/shift gate.
      09-18-2009, 10:13 PM   #25
spicoli024
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 COMPETITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpblue View Post
Many people here are very impartial regarding the M3, but to compare it to a CLS AMG doesn't make sense. An M5/M6 would be a better comparison for that Merc. As I said above, the M3 has a nicer interior than it's rival, the C63 AMG.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelalfy1989 View Post
Its true its not the best comparison but I did that because of the Engine. I think its in the same league. But yea i guess CLS63 is not a good comparison. But I still feel that the M3 is missing interior touches. Don't forget its a pretty expensive car.
M3=SPORT
CLS=LUXURY

End of discussion.
      09-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #26
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by warzilla View Post
Quick thoughts:

- bad comparison on the OP's part to compare the M3 to a MB CLS 63, should have been c63. All agree.
- M3 is still based on the 3 series foundation, which is the entry level model (for a luxury brand). You want top lux, go look at the M5/M6. All agree.
- Interesting point made on this thread, should BMW have kept the screen even if buyers don't get the Nav. I say yes.

My reasoning: Even a basic 3 is a 40k car (with options). I don't know why BMW doesn't just keep the same dash and screen for Nav and non Nav cars alike. Some luxury brands still keep a screen even if it does not have a Nav option installed (ie Acura TL, Audi, etc). Think its kind of cheap on BMW's part not to just leave it in there. Its the same on a 5 series, if you do or don't have Nav. Thoughts?
The screen is the most important thing you get when you order nav, though. If the screen came standard, many buyers would feel like they were paying $2000 for some software with the nav option. Having no screen in the standard car allows them to justify the $2000 price tag. BMW is a master at the options game, and the game is fixed. At some point, they will have to change their ways to remain competitive, though, especially as the brand becomes more mainstream with all the new models they're pumping out.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 10:19 PM   #27
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
80K??? My well optioned coupe was $67k.
Perhaps he paid the SPECIALTY tax?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 10:30 PM   #28
aelalfy1989
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 INFINITI FX35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
Perhaps he paid the SPECIALTY tax?
I'm in Canada I was considering a fully loaded M3 here with 13% TAX. So yes. But still Its an expensive car.
      09-18-2009, 10:34 PM   #29
aelalfy1989
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
The screen is the most important thing you get when you order nav, though. If the screen came standard, many buyers would feel like they were paying $2000 for some software with the nav option. Having no screen in the standard car allows them to justify the $2000 price tag. BMW is a master at the options game, and the game is fixed. At some point, they will have to change their ways to remain competitive, though, especially as the brand becomes more mainstream with all the new models they're pumping out.
that's not true. In the 5 series they keep the (smaller screen) and no one complains that they paid whatever for software. It's not like the same size screen and the quality isn't as good but still better than a little orange display for radio and climate. Its a 75k car come on. Even Infiniti does that for their cars. so he is right. They should keep the dash flowing nicely with a smaller screen. No the dash wont change they just have to make the screen smaller maybe add a screen with slightly less color quality and doesn't play DVD thats it.
      09-18-2009, 10:40 PM   #30
spicoli024
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 COMPETITION

^ Calm down
      09-18-2009, 10:44 PM   #31
aelalfy1989
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicoli024 View Post
^ Calm down
I was in the beginning until he made that dumb comment about NASA and airline engineers. He has no idea what he is talking about. telling me what I learned and didn't. Anyways forget him. All I was asking is if anyone else thinks the interior is missing a little touch.
      09-18-2009, 10:47 PM   #32
fpblue
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E90

The CLS AMG is $96k MSRP, which is $11k more than even an M5. My fully loaded (no DCT) Sedan was $68k. I'm thinking BMW could have made a great interior with the extra $28k.

All the $$ went to performance shit in the M3. An Acura RL is around the same price as the M3, yet spends the cash differently. They certainly spend more on the interior than our M3.
      09-18-2009, 10:47 PM   #33
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

Function first. Looks second.

BMW made the exact mistake your talking about with the first Idrive. People hated it.
      09-18-2009, 10:55 PM   #34
aelalfy1989
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousm3 View Post
Function first. Looks second.

BMW made the exact mistake your talking about with the first Idrive. People hated it.
Doesn't BMW do it on their M6 (no small orange display)? I don't see that little orange display on the M6, so why not do the same for the M3?. So huh? It's not a mistake nor is it bad to have. It limits the need for that small screen. Think of it this way. That little orange screen can also break and then its basically the same thing as having it on the nav screen. don't you think? Its still with knobs just temp appearing on the nav screen. And the older IDrive had its own problems. The orange screen was there for a long time for both IDrive versions and I think its time for it to go away. It's old fashion.
      09-18-2009, 10:56 PM   #35
fpblue
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I would rather BMW did something to cover up those ugly mufflers bulging out of the bottom of my E90 M3. At least make the mufflers look nice with some sort of finish.
      09-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #36
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
The CLS AMG is $96k MSRP, which is $11k more than even an M5. My fully loaded (no DCT) Sedan was $68k. I'm thinking BMW could have made a great interior with the extra $28k.

All the $$ went to performance shit in the M3. An Acura RL is around the same price as the M3, yet spends the cash differently. They certainly spend more on the interior than our M3.
+1
for a car in the m3's price range. i think the interior is fitting... there's no point comparing it to a CLS... my family has a fully optioned s-class and it has a lot of goodies (ventilated seats, message seats, sick sound system, etc) that i wouldnt mind having but i am paying so much less for my car then my family's paying for their s-class.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 11:02 PM   #37
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

Quote:
Doesn't BMW do it on their M6 (no small orange display)? I don't see that little orange display on the M6, so why not do the same for the M3?. So huh? It's not a mistake nor is it bad to have. It limits the need for that small screen. Think of it this way. That little orange screen can also break and then its basically the same thing as having it on the nav screen. don't you think? Its still with knobs just temp appearing on the nav screen. And the older IDrive had its own problems. The orange screen was there for a long time for both IDrive versions and I think its time for it to go away. It's old fashion.
Thats because the 6 series was designed in the heyday of Idrive v1, when bmw had the idea that integrating everything into one display was a good idea. Then they realized it wasn't when people hated Idrive v1.

BMW couldve kept everything on the Nav screen like Idrive v1 but they realized everyone hated it because people multitask in cars. What if you have the nav up and you want to change your radio station or defrost the windshield. Its better to have multiple displays then one single display.

Trust me if this was a better design bmw would've stayed with it instead of changing it for the later cars, and ultimately changing it to Idrive v2.
      09-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #38
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

I'm pretty cool with the interior, especially with the way I ordered it: Anthracite cloth/leather, titanium shadow trim, and the single HUMP.

Gotta love simplicity!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 11:11 PM   #39
fpblue
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I will say that it is complete and utter BS that leather is not standard on an M3!
      09-18-2009, 11:12 PM   #40
aelalfy1989
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousm3 View Post
Thats because the 6 series was designed in the heyday of Idrive v1, when bmw had the idea that integrating everything into one display was a good idea. Then they realized it wasn't when people hated Idrive v1.

BMW couldve kept everything on the Nav screen like Idrive v1 but they realized everyone hated it because people multitask in cars. What if you have the nav up and you want to change your radio station or defrost the windshield. Its better to have multiple displays then one single display.

Trust me if this was a better design bmw would've stayed with it instead of changing it for the later cars, and ultimately changing it to Idrive v2.
It depends really. The temp showing is a little line at the bottom of the nav screen. Doesn't interfere with anything and is basically in the same areas as the orange display. If you look at the bottom of the screen and where the orange screen is. I think the reason they didn't do that is for the keeping space on their navi screen. the BMW screen is rectangular rather than Infiniti's squarish navi screen. That's because BMW likes the Split screen idea and their screen works better for that purpose than infiniti's. Lol try to split infiniti's screen in half and you won't even see the map on either side. So I guess the rectangular shape of BMW works for that purpose but if they were to add climate control visuals at the bottom of that screen. The map above would be sandwiched.

Look at the infiniti interior. When you hit the climate knob the climate temp appears on the bottom of the navi screen and when you are done it takes 3 seconds then disappears from the navi screen. I guess btw wants to make use of the whole screen for its map. I don't see the difference between two screens or one screen for the main things. Also Infiniti's FM channels, ipod, sirius and all other things are on the bottom of the nav screen. here is a picture try to look closely.

I think after my FX35 interior I seem to ask for the in cabin tech and look i guess. But When I had the FX i missed BMW performance yo know what I mean. Look at the cabin of that infiniti and look closely to the nav and the bottom of the screen you will see the climate control stuff along with radio and ipod songs all from the main screen.
      09-18-2009, 11:29 PM   #41
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

If you want to make the interior feel more luxurious, then extended leather and Individual Piano Black trim is a good option...

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 11:35 PM   #42
aelalfy1989
Private
Canada
Rep

^

Hmmm not bad I like the Trim. But yea I had definitely planed for the extended leather option to be included 100%.

I wonder if anyone knows if the Premium sound System in the BMW is better than the new bose on the infiniti's but thats a whole thread of its own probably discussed before.
      09-18-2009, 11:37 PM   #43
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Answered here:

Quote:

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 11:54 PM   #44
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
If you didn't like the car, why did you buy it?
He doesn't own one buddy. Surprised???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
80K??? My well optioned coupe was $67k.
My fully optioned one was $72K+. If you add DCT (), it'd hit $75K, but he still exaggerated, especially since nobody has paid remotely close to retail the last year or so .

OP, check out the $75K+ Z06, and the $110K+ ZR1 (even with leather dash) and then come back and tell us our M3s look cheap .
Appreciate 0