BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Mporium BMW

06-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #23
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdj View Post
Why not say iOS has no plan to integrate BMW as its vehicles? BMW is just a small company comparing to Apple. If apple decides to make its own car, I would love to see the full head up iDisplay when I am driving.
If my experience with Apple's other products is any indication, they would make a terrible car:
- It would come in two colors
- You wouldn't be able to mod it
- Some useful element (like the steering wheel) would be removed to "streamline" the design

Needless to say, I can do without a dealership full of "geniuses"
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #24
AllydNYC
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 91' E30 318is

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
Good decision.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #25
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
While I am familiar with iOS, I don't use an iPhone but if I did, I would at least like the option to have iOS In The Car. I'd prefer to use QNX and if I wanted something on my iPhone, having it be good.

I don't get what all the fuss is about iDrive. Even the early software wasn't THAT bad and BMW has since tweaked and refined it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #26
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
The final product would make the idrive interface appear to have a iOS look and feel. So one feature could be if you scroll your new idrive touch wheel, it'll behave exactly like your ipod. Apple will provide the platform for the manufacturers to build upon it. BMW would still spend time and money developing the software.

In PC terms, think of it as putting an iOS "wrapper" over a Windows operating system. That's what Apple wants to BMW to spend money and time on developing. BMW said no thanks, b.c they feel their interface is superior and doesn't think further development adds value over cost. I agree, b/c they spend a lot of time and money developing the next generation idrive touch.
Gotcha, thanks for the explanation.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #27
duffy
Rep
Drives: Cayenne S

Omg people why so much hate?

Point is that instead of making bunch of really useless and crappy BMW Apps, BMW could team up with Apple devs and make a really nice user experience!

Plus nobody is talking about iOS taking over iDrive. It's iOS adding to iDrive!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #28
katsudon
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 328i JB

who cares if there's iOS in a bimmer or not?!!! please never even think about doing that BMW. fxxk apple
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 11:56 PM   #29
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Very good, I am sick of Apple dictatorship.
Soon they will come with an "IKnob" and they will sue AC Schnitzer for copying the round wheel that they invented.
Plus, Apple is very expensive, it will just discourage the competition and all the cars will have same shit. I want something different.
I am happy with BMW design, I just want the screen back in the dashboard and a better bluetooth.

Good decision.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #30
JustinHuang
Rep
Drives: bmw E90 325 M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph
Good, touch screen systems suck. I have no problems with i-drive, even its earlier versions.
Totally agree! The I idrive is very easy and convenience to use!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #31
Nang Vann
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, R35 GT-R

Sounds interesting, lets see what happens
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 01:02 AM   #32
Bigmouth Studio
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Finally BMW wake up from it's own dream. In reality, everyone is using Android already. Hope BMW stops wasting money to integrate the stupid iPhone in our iDrive & use more money on new M3/M4
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 01:20 AM   #33
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

I love my iOS devices, don't get me wrong, but BMW's iDrive is more elegant. I wouldn't mind them working together, but I wouldn't want iOS to take over.

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 01:26 AM   #34
Hoosiers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
If my experience with Apple's other products is any indication, they would make a terrible car:
- Some useful element (like the steering wheel) would be removed to "streamline" the design

Well, regardless of the Apple partnership or not, you will get a dealership full of "geniuses". BMW is calling them geniuses, and their job will mirror Apple stores. You'll still have a BMW salesman, but that's separate. No joke. Porsche here I come.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 02:30 AM   #35
dmode
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr
Quote:
Why not say iOS has no plan to integrate BMW as its vehicles? BMW is just a small company comparing to Apple. If apple decides to make its own car, I would love to see the full head up iDisplay when I am driving.

If Apple made a car, you won't have to take it to the dealership every month to replace HPFP
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 02:35 AM   #36
olebrumm
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 525DA

06-13-2013, 02:37 AM   #37
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:

+1. good decision by BMW. Apple products are so freaking limited and built for dumb people that probably you wouln't even be able to use your memory stick to listen to music, you would have to buy your songs from itunes only.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 02:40 AM   #38
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode
Quote:
Quote:

If Apple made a car, you won't have to take it to the dealership every month to replace HPFP
If Apple made a car, it wouldn't go faster than 100km/hr to make sure it doesn't break. Just imagine now you would have to jailbreak your BMW lol

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 04:06 AM   #39
LaMpiR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Why is BMW so oriented to Apple and iOS and no love for Android?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 04:28 AM   #40
krispykreme
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

I would take iOS over anything BMW has designed.

Android already does this in Taiwan, where the HTC systems runs on taiwanese car infotainment system.

iOS on car is much better than iDrive.
      06-13-2013, 04:34 AM   #41
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Intresting.
As they have gotten half of theyr feet into Apple, with the "siri"allready, i guess it's a natural progress.
As for how it will work: I think IOS will run behind, but BMW provides the "skin", like "touchwiz" is for Samsung using Android code upon. Or HTC with "sense"
The look and feel will be guidelined by Apple, but BMW choose how it will work, and how many features it will provide.
They have started with Apps, and naturally, beeing a more polished product, as BMW also is, they should look to Apple, not to WP or Google imo.
As of lately, Apple makes the best SW in the business imo, theyr stable, and provide maps and the works.
I think smaller brands will benefit more, but BMW should be careful not no join in, because of the knowledge that is within Apple, and the echosystem they can provide it's customers. Beisdes Apple and BMW is on paper a great combination of design and real life usage imo.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #42
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boring

I agree with most of the posts here. IMO, the world needs less iOS devices, not more...especially in my household.
Previous - 2010 e90 335i (N54) - BSM, 6AT, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Hi-Fi, Nav, BMW PPK & PE, Dinan S2
Previous - 2007 e90 335i (N54) - BSM, 6AT, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Hi-Fi
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #43
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy View Post
Intresting.
As they have gotten half of theyr feet into Apple, with the "siri"allready, i guess it's a natural progress.
As for how it will work: I think IOS will run behind, but BMW provides the "skin", like "touchwiz" is for Samsung using Android code upon. Or HTC with "sense"
The look and feel will be guidelined by Apple, but BMW choose how it will work, and how many features it will provide.
They have started with Apps, and naturally, beeing a more polished product, as BMW also is, they should look to Apple, not to WP or Google imo.
As of lately, Apple makes the best SW in the business imo, theyr stable, and provide maps and the works.
I think smaller brands will benefit more, but BMW should be careful not no join in, because of the knowledge that is within Apple, and the echosystem they can provide it's customers. Beisdes Apple and BMW is on paper a great combination of design and real life usage imo.
are you the same ron_jeremy on M-R?
      06-13-2013, 07:15 AM   #44
pwhty
Rep
Drives: Mini One D & X1 18d M Sport

Reading all these comments makes me wonder whether I got everything wrong. I don't think Apple has enough influence to make car manufacturers (re)build their systems on an iOS backend, let alone make them redesign controls, knobs, buttons, etc. I also don't think any manufacturer would flush the system they spent years working on just to use iOS.

I actually think this is just a natural evolvement of Eyes-Free. You will get an "iOS App" just like all BMW apps that already exist, but this one can claim the whole screen for itself (and maybe also run in the background). This is not a big deal and it's all it takes to achieve what I've seen in the keynote (which btw. you can watch at http://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2013/ at 1:43:30). Everything else then works through Siri. After all, Eddy Cue never mentioned any controls for this and as far as I know Apple, we can't imply any if they didn't mention them.

One more thing: as far as I know BMW, this feature will definitely not be an option for low-end models without a nav system. They already have to fight against portable navs, so they won't give you this comfortable opt-out. There should be very few people out there that can afford a BMW and an iOS device and that love iOS so much that they want to have it in their cars but then not pay the extra 3000EUR for the integration (did I mention this will only be available on the Professional Nav?)
Appreciate 0