BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

VIBE Motorsports

06-05-2019, 07:14 PM   #881
drivetolive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
It's been a few years since I did mine, but if I remember correctly, The actuators will have spring tension on it when the butterflies are closed (off). You will need to pull up on the arm to make them line up. Then push the ball end back over the fitting.
Thanks for the response. I ended up putting everything back together and the car started and ran fine. Guess it was just my paranoia.

This DIY was a life saver . My back and fingers hate me though.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 07:47 PM   #882
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

yeah i had to fiddle around with the "nipples" as well to make them fit
i kept thinking... this is all that's keeping the throttle actuators connected and opening and closing the flaps ??
felt kinda flimsy

anyway
has anyone experienced a BUZZING sound in the engine bay after taking the plenum off and putting it back on?
i have a feeling i did something wrong after the TA swap (and taking the plenum off again because i had to check on a different noise issue)

it gets louder than this
and it's weird ... it only starts to buzz after i've drive about 30+ minutes
my daily commute is about 12 miles
it starts buzzing when i am almost at work in the morning ...
but the same drive back, it doesn't start to buzz because it takes less than 30 minutes due to less traffic

i just haven't had time to open it back up again
but i hope it's just a matter of tightening or loosening one of those ring things under the plenum
or realigning it

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 06:47 AM   #883
drivetolive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
yeah i had to fiddle around with the "nipples" as well to make them fit
i kept thinking... this is all that's keeping the throttle actuators connected and opening and closing the flaps ??
felt kinda flimsy

anyway
has anyone experienced a BUZZING sound in the engine bay after taking the plenum off and putting it back on?
i have a feeling i did something wrong after the TA swap (and taking the plenum off again because i had to check on a different noise issue)

it gets louder than this
and it's weird ... it only starts to buzz after i've drive about 30+ minutes
my daily commute is about 12 miles
it starts buzzing when i am almost at work in the morning ...
but the same drive back, it doesn't start to buzz because it takes less than 30 minutes due to less traffic

i just haven't had time to open it back up again
but i hope it's just a matter of tightening or loosening one of those ring things under the plenum
or realigning it
Weird. No odd issues here. I will note however that when putting my plenum back on it took quite a bit of force to get the intake tubes to seat into the throttle bodies. Hopefully it's something as simple as re-installing the plenum!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 10:52 PM   #884
Deadmon
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Just reporting back since I got this done a while ago (along with a ton of other replacements).

In hindsight, just doing the actuator replacement was fairly straightforward, even for someone like me who's never done any engine work before.

I did accidentally snap the connector that's attached to the back of the arm? that covers the actuators. I simply used twist ties to hold it down afterwards.

Putting the plenum back on wasn't too bad, I read a comment elsewhere to put a bit of grease on the inside of each sleeve so the plenum can fit in nicely. The trick though is to have each clamp loose enough, but if you have it too loose you may "push" the clamp bolts in as you're tightening, make it a pain to reach. A 6mm deep socket can really help, along with a screwdriver.

I also had a borescope handy (because I dropped a few things), which made navigating the screwdriver/socket to the harder reaching clamp bolts easier.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 11:08 PM   #885
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmon View Post

I did accidentally snap the connector that's attached to the back of the arm? that covers the actuators. I simply used twist ties to hold it down afterwards.
i snapped the same thing and used zip tie to put it back in place haha

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0