BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

12-21-2019, 09:30 AM   #1
askme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Vert E93

How to determine Battery is Coded?

I am swapping out on old aftermarket and failing battery and putting in one close to OEM. I suspect that the coding is actually accurate for OEM and was inaccurate for the aftermarket I am taking out.

Before I invest time/money in INSTA/Carly is there a way to determine what is currently coded? I already have the Carista App and bluetooth dongle, but they don't seem to show it. Perhaps other apps can show the battery coding?

Anything better/easier than Carly/INSTA for battery coding these days?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06/Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by askme View Post
I am swapping out on old aftermarket and failing battery and putting in one close to OEM. I suspect that the coding is actually accurate for OEM and was inaccurate for the aftermarket I am taking out.

Before I invest time/money in INSTA/Carly is there a way to determine what is currently coded? I already have the Carista App and bluetooth dongle, but they don't seem to show it. Perhaps other apps can show the battery coding?

Not that I know of but I'm not the best person to answer. I'm just replying to tell you to get Carly and enjoy it. There's a lot it can do for you - it was well worth the investment for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 10:21 AM   #3
askme
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks. I grabbed Carista and have fun with it. But Carly seems to get pricey quickly and there seems to be questions on battery coding.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
ccdre
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW 135i, '13 Frozen M3

Quote:

My understanding is you will need to code it either way. Even if you are going with a like-for-like swap, meaning AGM for AGM with the same CCAs and Ah specs, the coding lets the ECU know that there is a new battery in place as opposed to one with 2000 discharge/recharge cycles on it.

I've replaced my battery recently and coding was very straight forward with standard K+DCAN cable and toolset32 software which comes with INPA.

I'm guessing Carly can do this as well without the involvement of downloading and setting up INPA software on your laptop.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 01:55 PM   #5
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06/Z07

Quote:
Thanks. I grabbed Carista and have fun with it. But Carly seems to get pricey quickly and there seems to be questions on battery coding.
The price of Carly is offset pretty easily for its convenience in my opinion but everyone has a different perspective on that based on their personal financial situation.

Early versions of Carly were a little iffy on battery coding but the more recent updates are much more clear. You can even go and check the last time the battery was coded and how many hours the battery has been in service since the last coding.

I wouldn't be concerned.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #6
askme
Private First Class
Rep

I found a few threads suggesting Carly can't really code properly and that gave me pause. So I tried INPA.

I found INPA to be pretty easy. It confirmed the coding was wrong for the dealer installed battery, but right for the new battery I just bought. So I think I just need to register the fresh battery.

Thanks all for the help.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #7
gillara
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 Comp

Whats INPA? I'm looking to into purchasing Carly but have my doubts.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 02:00 PM   #8
sittingmongoose
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3mC

Also want to know inpa info and why do you need to code for a battery?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 02:11 PM   #9
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingmongoose View Post
Bummergeeks.net/downloads

Use that link to download bmw standard tools which will come with inpa and other software as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 05:01 PM   #10
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
You don't need to code, just need a program to tell the car there's a fresh battery. The car progressively changes the amount of charge to the battery as it ages to prolong its life (my understanding of it).
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 05:02 PM   #11
sittingmongoose
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3mC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajolives View Post
Quote:
You don't need to code, just need a program to tell the car there's a fresh battery. The car progressively changes the amount of charge to the battery as it ages to prolong its life (my understanding of it).
Aha thanks!
Appreciate 0