BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-06-2022, 06:56 PM   #1189
gtenedio
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '%E2%80%9909 e92 m3, '19 X3, %

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeofAlexandria View Post
Thanks gtenedio and CamasM3e93 for replying.

My post isn't so much about the cooling effects, that's not in dispute.

My question is more geared towards fitment and specific placements for the return aluminum piping and how overcoming the increased do88 dct oil cooler with CF plenum. How the spacing issues were overcome.

All good and no worries! I have access to a Pittsburgh 1" tube roller and some mandrel benders so I'm going to mock up what I need and set about adjusting the tube manually.

I don't have a tig welder but if I need to adjust the tube bracket I can find a shop.

Thanks everyone and anymore updates are appreciated!

-Duke
sorry i couldnt be more help
good luck
      05-06-2022, 08:38 PM   #1190
@lpineM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I am not supercharged, but AlpineM3 has the do88 dct cooler and the Harrop kit
Thanks Shadow!

Over to you Alpine! AlpineM3

-Duke
I am running the harrop with all do88 coolers & radiator however i didn't install myself. I got it done at rogue engineering in new jersey, try giving Ben a call maybe he can be a help. I can say the car does run cooler when driving normal compared to before. Overall Happy with the harrop & do88 combo.
Appreciate 2
      05-07-2022, 11:07 PM   #1191
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Out of the current Harrop owners here, what wheel/tire package are you running on the street?

How do you feel about how the power is put down with that setup, and do you have any rubbing, even if minor? Any other thoughts?
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6730.00
      05-08-2022, 12:11 AM   #1192
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

No rubbing with 285/30/19 ECS. No traction when tires are cold but pretty good when they're warm. I'm buying A052 next.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6730.00
      05-08-2022, 01:59 AM   #1193
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Out of the current Harrop owners here, what wheel/tire package are you running on the street?

How do you feel about how the power is put down with that setup, and do you have any rubbing, even if minor? Any other thoughts?
The car is well and truly gone now but I ran Forgeline GA1R 11" rear and 9" front with 295 x 19 x 30 and 255 x 19 x 35 Michelin Pilot sport
The wheels were per perfection and for you guys in USA Dave Schardt at Forgeline is not only a motorsport enthusiast and race car driver but also an incredibly talented wheel designer. These are fully forged wheels
Not a rub or mark with maximised size wheels and tyres and used quite a lot on local track days without issue
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
DrFerry6730.00
drwankel1053.00
      05-08-2022, 10:20 AM   #1194
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:

255/40ZR18 on 9.5X18 ET 23 PSS
295/35ZR18 on 11.0X18 ET 32 PSS
Traction mode = MDM
Below ~55F dry and wet traction off the line are tough but can be managed with throttle. 2nd gear starts can be more aggressive with gas pedal. Traction mitigation can include 27psi cold. UTQG Traction grade <=100 help. EDC on highest setting slows rebound and bump rates and helps the left rear stay planted better. For pure straight line stuff Nitto NT05R has been the best I've tried for dry traction - especially if you want to experience all the Harrop has to offer - but wet traction is low on NT05R. I have a lower final drive = 3:45 ring an pinion.
That's all I can think of for now. Search thread for keyword = traction.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 3
      05-08-2022, 01:15 PM   #1195
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDee View Post
The car is well and truly gone now but I ran Forgeline GA1R 11" rear and 9" front with 295 x 19 x 30 and 255 x 19 x 35 Michelin Pilot sport
The wheels were per perfection and for you guys in USA Dave Schardt at Forgeline is not only a motorsport enthusiast and race car driver but also an incredibly talented wheel designer. These are fully forged wheels
Not a rub or mark with maximised size wheels and tyres and used quite a lot on local track days without issue
Do you happen to know the offset for the wheels that you ran?
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6730.00
      05-08-2022, 03:51 PM   #1196
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
+27 on the front and +31 on the rear. These were conservative and took into account BBK clearances
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6730.00
drwankel1053.00
      05-08-2022, 08:04 PM   #1197
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E85 Z4 / 2013 E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
Mmmmmmmmm…..

Soooooooonnnnn…..
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
DrFerry6730.00
tbuck1188.50
Davisca4552207.50
      05-09-2022, 07:14 AM   #1198
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Mmmmmmmmm…..

Soooooooonnnnn…..
Congrats! Lookin' good. Any day now. Well done.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 2
      05-10-2022, 03:23 PM   #1199
nycplumber
Major
Rep

Been loving my kit. Working with Mike was great too I was surprised by how much time of his he gave me. Still putting my first 100 miles on it but it's definitely a lot faster than FBO. When people say "This is how it should have came from the factory" I would say they're wrong. Bmw would have charged so much for this because it's absolutely next level haha. Looking forward to putting miles on the car more than ever. Zero complaints except now I wish my exhaust was quieter so I could hear the supercharger more.
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6730.00
L4ces337.00
      05-10-2022, 04:53 PM   #1200
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycplumber View Post
Been loving my kit. Working with Mike was great too I was surprised by how much time of his he gave me. Still putting my first 100 miles on it but it's definitely a lot faster than FBO. When people say "This is how it should have came from the factory" I would say they're wrong. Bmw would have charged so much for this because it's absolutely next level haha. Looking forward to putting miles on the car more than ever. Zero complaints except now I wish my exhaust was quieter so I could hear the supercharger more.
FBO (excluding centri blowers) 'might' net ~50 wheel horsepower (catless X-pipe, exhaust, tune, pulleys, air filter etc.) but with the Harrop you bolt on 120 - 150 horsepower at the rear tires (depending slightly upon elevation, fuel and boost). FBO is the Swiss army knife surgical approach that can be even more costly than the Harrop - at least with some high end products. Whereas the Harrop blower is the sledgehammer of mods IMO. It makes the S65 V8 think it's a V12. Once forced induction has been 'tasted', there is no going back to the Swiss army knife, tinkering approach. Show us a few photos of the install on this thread if you get the chance.. Congrats..

Last edited by DrFerry; 05-10-2022 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 5
      05-10-2022, 05:03 PM   #1201
nycplumber
Major
Rep

I'm sure these will be upside down. Sorry haha
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
DrFerry6730.00
BP709231.50
Acap14103.50
      05-11-2022, 05:46 PM   #1202
LTY1224
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' ZCP AW E92 M3

Been very impressed with the number already. I have a Bimmerworld x-pipe with hfc. I'm sure it can do more than this.

Just found out you lose 50whp with valve closed
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
DrFerry6730.00
drwankel1053.00
      05-11-2022, 06:57 PM   #1203
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTY1224 View Post
Been very impressed with the number already. I have a Bimmerworld x-pipe with hfc. I'm sure it can do more than this. Just found out you lose 50whp with valve closed
Love that almost flat torque curve from ~3K RPM. Is the valved exhaust also from Bimmerworld?
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2022, 07:32 PM   #1204
Tut4u2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M3 Conversion

Finally got around to installing this kit. The blower completely changes the car. After 3k RPM, the car pulls and pulls and pulls. The improvement in the midrange is noticeable and if you do redline the car, you certainly will be breaking the speed limit and hunting for traction along the way. That being said, if you're expecting the car to transform into some sort of torque monster or you're expecting to feel the same way you would in a Tesla, then you will have to readjust your expectations.

My install was a little different since it went into an E82. I did have to make some adjustments here and there, but overall it was less trouble than I thought it was going to be. The install took me a couple of weeks since I was doing it on and off, but can be done in a day if spend the ENTIRE day on it. Read the install guide a couple of times and you'll be golden. Getting the alignment with the FEAD mount to the engine to the blower is a pain, so be patient and getting an extended length 10mm open wrench or you can play trial and error.

3 things I modified were:
1. The breather line going to the bottom of the blower kept getting pinched and just felt like a half done solution. Luckily you can get a 90degree PCV rubber connector for Fords, that's the same diameter as the breather port and can slide off the OEM plastic hose.
2. Mounting for the heat exchanger since the E82 layout is different.
3. The return line from the reservoir to the heat exchanger sits on top of the valve cover so I wedged in some insulation wrap to avoid damage to the line even though it should be good to 500F.

The stuttering/misfire issue at high gear and high load is easily mitigated by downshift. I have a DCT so I'm either rolling into the throttle less aggressively or I choose the 4th or 5th drive logic settings so the DCT shifts down more readily.

I have to give BPMSport and Mike Benvo a huge shoutout. To say Mike went above and beyond is an understatement. Prior to installing the kit, my DME got bricked due to a poor cable from a third party vendor. Mike took care of the communication with the vendor to get the issue resolved and I had a working DME in my hands within 2-3 business days. I also had some teething pains with the kit, and he took care of the communication with Harrop. Its hard to find good people that know their stuff know a days, so it was a refreshing experience. The fact that he's continuing to support this platform says something in the first place. Goes without saying, but I would recommend him regardless of whether you're buying the kit, need a N/A tune, coding, etc.

Obviously the kit is expensive and the lead times are variable, but if you're on the fence and have the opportunity to buy the kit, I would jump on it. If you're in DC area and need a taste, hit me up.

Appreciate 2
DrFerry6730.00
AK.137.00
      05-11-2022, 07:41 PM   #1205
LTY1224
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' ZCP AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Love that almost flat torque curve from ~3K RPM. Is the valved exhaust also from Bimmerworld?
It's from Valvetronic Design. And I just noticed there is a small exhaust leak between the muffler and connecting pipes. Not sure whether it affect the number. But I'm very impressed by this kit so far
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6730.00
      05-11-2022, 08:16 PM   #1206
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tut4u2 View Post
Finally got around to installing this kit. The blower completely changes the car. After 3k RPM, the car pulls and pulls and pulls. The improvement in the midrange is noticeable and if you do redline the car, you certainly will be breaking the speed limit and hunting for traction along the way. That being said, if you're expecting the car to transform into some sort of torque monster or you're expecting to feel the same way you would in a Tesla, then you will have to readjust your expectations.

My install was a little different since it went into an E82. I did have to make some adjustments here and there, but overall it was less trouble than I thought it was going to be. The install took me a couple of weeks since I was doing it on and off, but can be done in a day if spend the ENTIRE day on it. Read the install guide a couple of times and you'll be golden. Getting the alignment with the FEAD mount to the engine to the blower is a pain, so be patient and getting an extended length 10mm open wrench or you can play trial and error.

3 things I modified were:
1. The breather line going to the bottom of the blower kept getting pinched and just felt like a half done solution. Luckily you can get a 90degree PCV rubber connector for Fords, that's the same diameter as the breather port and can slide off the OEM plastic hose.
2. Mounting for the heat exchanger since the E82 layout is different.
3. The return line from the reservoir to the heat exchanger sits on top of the valve cover so I wedged in some insulation wrap to avoid damage to the line even though it should be good to 500F.

The stuttering/misfire issue at high gear and high load is easily mitigated by downshift. I have a DCT so I'm either rolling into the throttle less aggressively or I choose the 4th or 5th drive logic settings so the DCT shifts down more readily.

I have to give BPMSport and Mike Benvo a huge shoutout. To say Mike went above and beyond is an understatement. Prior to installing the kit, my DME got bricked due to a poor cable from a third party vendor. Mike took care of the communication with the vendor to get the issue resolved and I had a working DME in my hands within 2-3 business days. I also had some teething pains with the kit, and he took care of the communication with Harrop. Its hard to find good people that know their stuff know a days, so it was a refreshing experience. The fact that he's continuing to support this platform says something in the first place. Goes without saying, but I would recommend him regardless of whether you're buying the kit, need a N/A tune, coding, etc.

Obviously the kit is expensive and the lead times are variable, but if you're on the fence and have the opportunity to buy the kit, I would jump on it. If you're in DC area and need a taste, hit me up.

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Great post. Thanks for taking the time. All I can say is, "wow!" A 1M with an S65 "and" the Harrop blower. Holy smokes you're car's gonna hustle. As the saying goes, "you've created a monster". How 'bout a few more pics of your 1M+S65+Harrop equipped beast? There's some more to this story. How did the motor swop come to be?
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2022, 07:52 AM   #1207
Tut4u2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M3 Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Great post. Thanks for taking the time. All I can say is, "wow!" A 1M with an S65 "and" the Harrop blower. Holy smokes you're car's gonna hustle. As the saying goes, "you've created a monster". How 'bout a few more pics of your 1M+S65+Harrop equipped beast? There's some more to this story. How did the motor swop come to be?
Thanks for the kind words. The car was a project car that I put together a couple of years ago pre-covid. Build thread over on 1addicts:https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1715803
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6730.00
      05-13-2022, 10:13 PM   #1208
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E85 Z4 / 2013 E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
One of you assholes could have warned me how hard it would pull. Not Tesla hard, but pretty decent. I had zero traction issues and she just kept going and going. I was not ready for that and haven't been in a power car like that in awhile, so learning curve and need to adjust hah!

Additionally, I'm currently paired up with RKP 200 cell HFCs and a race Remus exhaust…….BUT NOT FOR LONG…

Stupid loud. Like, obnoxious loud. I honestly can't describe it, and I'm putting on my stock exhaust until I find something better. Hell I might even just keep it stock and let the RKP do it's thing…..my god.

-Duke
Appreciate 4
drwankel1053.00
DRLane3991.50
L4ces337.00
DrFerry6730.00
      05-14-2022, 02:13 PM   #1209
nycplumber
Major
Rep

It sure does pull nice right? I am tempted to get a draggy but will probably only use it a handful of times. I think with the right tires you could put a 3.62 and do 60-130 in the low 7s. Interested to see it vs a stock 991 turbo. Right now I think it's probably low 8s with tires spinning through 2nd and a little in 3rd. It feels faster though
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2022, 07:27 PM   #1210
M3ZCPNYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Toyo Proxes 275/30/19 and 315/30/19 w/ 70% tread reported no rubbing and I stick the power down on M mode little spin but not much
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6730.00