BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

02-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #309
socalbreeze
Obey This
Rep
Drives: Audi Etron, G63, 19 NSX, 600LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
wow, this is all kinds of stupid. first of all, I don't recall seeing an M5 that caught fire (please post a link if you can), but if there were one, it certainly is no comparison to 5 cars catching fire and Porsche issuing a mandatory recall and ordering all customers to cease driving their cars (and halting delivery of all new cars). so, there's no comparison there.

and no, of course the M3 can't compete with a GT3 on the track. that's such an absurd comparison. that would be like saying that the GT3 and all prior iterations could never compete with the M3 in terms of everyday driving and practicality.

Why don't you google it? The internet search engine is a Decent tool I heard.
Did I say track? Lol you are so blinded by your love for the M you failed to see a porsche GT3 is superior sports car in every way lol

Keep trying to convince yourself fanboy
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #310
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbreeze
Quote:
wow, this is all kinds of stupid. first of all, I don't recall seeing an M5 that caught fire (please post a link if you can), but if there were one, it certainly is no comparison to 5 cars catching fire and Porsche issuing a mandatory recall and ordering all customers to cease driving their cars (and halting delivery of all new cars). so, there's no comparison there.

and no, of course the M3 can't compete with a GT3 on the track. that's such an absurd comparison. that would be like saying that the GT3 and all prior iterations could never compete with the M3 in terms of everyday driving and practicality.

Did I say track? Lol you are so blinded by your love for the M you failed to see a porsche GT3 is superior sports car in every way lol

I'm not even sure you know what you're arguing about. I'll stick with the facts:

1. Any M5 fire that allegedly happened is nothing compared to 5 fires and a world-wide recall of all cars.
2. The M3 isn't a true sports car, unlike the 911 in any variant. So, no, the M3 doesn't compare to a GT3 as sports cars are measured, but at 1/3 the cost and a decidedly different purpose, it's not supposed to compare.
3. I'm no fanboy, and if you read through this whole thread you'd see that.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 08:11 PM   #311
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbreeze View Post

Googled it...nothing found other than a SC m5 bursting into flames and some bloke in the uk where it seems some foul play was involved...and nobody in here has ever said that the m3 was a better sports car than the gt3...NOBODY... now back to your hole
      03-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #312
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

This thread needs to be reignited.

Word is that Porsche is considering making the fire extinguisher standard equipment on all 991s.

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #313
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post

Word is that Porsche is considering making the fire extinguisher standard equipment on all 991s.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #314
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbreeze
Quote:

I'm not even sure you know what you're arguing about. I'll stick with the facts:

1. Any M5 fire that allegedly happened is nothing compared to 5 fires and a world-wide recall of all cars.
2. The M3 isn't a true sports car, unlike the 911 in any variant. So, no, the M3 doesn't compare to a GT3 as sports cars are measured, but at 1/3 the cost and a decidedly different purpose, it's not supposed to compare.
3. I'm no fanboy, and if you read through this whole thread you'd see that.
Just to get the fact straight, an M3 is more like 1/2 price of a GT3, not 1/3!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #315
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post

Such a pity that this is happening to the 991 GT3. Would have bought it if not for the stop-drive
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #316
ChrisF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP, '10 997.2 GT3

It is truly sad. While I'm one of those decrying the loss of the Mezger and manual gear box, you have to admit the package is compelling. If Porsche doesn't address quickly and with an eye towards repairing the customer relations damage, this is going to be a black eye that doesn't soon heal.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #317
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
It is truly sad. While I'm one of those decrying the loss of the Mezger and manual gear box, you have to admit the package is compelling. If Porsche doesn't address quickly and with an eye towards repairing the customer relations damage, this is going to be a black eye that doesn't soon heal.
i doubt that will be an issue. im guessing they are thinking the same thing.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #318
///M3Owner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Im hoping in maybe 4 years after my m3 to pick up a 997 gt3..hopefully the prices drop or something, love the car
      03-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #319
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Owner View Post
Im hoping in maybe 4 years after my m3 to pick up a 997 gt3..hopefully the prices drop or something, love the car
That's been my hope for a while but prices have stayed pretty high.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #320
///M3Owner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Quote:
That's been my hope for a while but prices have stayed pretty high.
I know it's so upsetting :/ I was considering a new carrera s but I want a gt3 haha. My dream is to have a 964 in my garage though, what a beauty
      03-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #321
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know it's so upsetting :/ I was considering a new carrera s but I want a gt3 haha. My dream is to have a 964 in my garage though, what a beauty
If I ever want to retire my dream car needs to be my track car I have!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 10:16 PM   #322
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

964 prices weren't too bad as of recently; but prices started getting up there with all the RWB fad and stance kids wanting to stance them.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #323
ChrisF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP, '10 997.2 GT3

Hi all. I just did my first track day in my M3 and figured I'd do a quick compare between the M3 and my GT3. For reference, my GT3 is stock except for track pads, roll bar, harnesses and a rebuilt diff. I usually run tires similar to the stock Sport Cups (Trofeo R's or NT01's) The M3 has upgraded pads and fluid. Tires are PSS's. I run both cars with all TC off.

The main thing I realized is that it is very hard to go back to tracking a car with non-buckets and 3 point belts. I had forgotten about doing the leg-brace mambo. Definitely distracting and detracts from the experience.

Dynamically, the cars couldn't be more different. This should't be surprising given the engine locations. I've gotten very used to the massive mechanical grip in the GT3 vs. the light rear end in the M3. FWIW, I've driven the GT3 with street tires and the character doesn't change much. The M3 is much more sensitive to exit throttle application. Much easier to rotate the rear with throttle. I really liked the M3 chassis as far as balance and control. It was very easy to drive fast. Despite the suspension being a little too soft for my taste at speed, I never felt like it was wallowy or sloppy. Traction out of corners was excellent.

The M3 steering is very quick and precise but doesn't have as much feel as the GT3. Both do an excellent job of connecting the driver to what's going on underneath you.

The biggest disappointment and one I was somewhat expecting, was the M3 brakes. Even with a set of Endless MX72 pads and fluid, it didn't take me long to fade them. At that point, I just pulled back my braking points so I could manage the heat load and run a full session. The lack of braking confidence detracted from the experience quite a bit.

This was my first time driving any auto on track so I didn't quite know what to expect with the DCT. I thought maybe I'll just leave the car in auto and drive. Not so much. I did my first session in auto and felt the DCT struggle a few times trying to find the right gear. I've heard of other dual clutch transmissions always knowing which gear to be in at the track. The DCT felt a bit out of sorts. Once I switched to paddle shifting, the tranny was awesome. I loved the sharp, crisp shifts exactly when I asked for them. I really think for track, the paddles are the way to go. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but at the end of the day, I still prefer a manual.

One place where both the GT3 and M3 really shine, nearly equally, is in the engine dept. I think the Mezger engine in the GT3 is one of the greatest engines ever made. I have been similarly impressed with the S65 in the M3 but haven't really had the chance to push it hard on the street. Needless to say, after revving it to redline repeatedly, I'm hugely impressed. Great power, great sound; super smooth power band. It's truly a special engine. It's amazing that BMW was able to put it into a mass produced car. Hats off to BMW.

At the end of the day, stock for stock, there really isn't much comparison for these cars. One is a world class street car. The other is a world class track car you can drive on the street. I drove the GT3 bone stock to the track, went stupid fast and drove home. No drama, no sliding around in the seats, no brake fade; it just did the job. The M3 just can't do this. Sure, you can add a BBK, seats, cooling, tires and it would get you close but that's not the point. Almost any street car can be modded to handle track abuse. Very few come from the factory ready to go.

To be fair, I did upgrade the pads on the GT3, but only after I went through the stock pads on which lasted nearly 10k street miles and 4 track days. By comparison, I'm certain that I would have killed the OE pads on the M3 in 2 laps. I also rebuilt the stock diff in the GT3 (as noted above). It is acknowledged as the one true weak point in the car. The cost to do so is nominal though.

Don't get me wrong. I love both cars and think they are amazing. They are just different tools for different jobs.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #324
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Well, it looks like Porsche is stepping up to the plate.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/porsche-...103348655.html