BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

12-08-2021, 03:59 PM   #419
Tastyguac
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Wagon

I did not notice any bass issues or missing low frequencies - could just be the music I listen to or that I don't have aftermarket subs. But it seems fine to me, I definitely have plenty of punchy low frequencies coming from the speakers under the seats. Maybe the frequencies that are being cut are beyond the response of the base/hifi system?

Just my 2 cents - if you aren't looking for the lowest of low frequencies, I think it is still a great product.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 05:02 PM   #420
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Is that bass issue true for both versions?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 05:04 PM   #421
Thrawn
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I just got my new unit today. I have 3 8" subs installed running around 2000 rms. I will the bass frequencies with a tone generator on my phone and see if I notice any cut off. It might be a few days before I get to install it and test though.
Appreciate 2
      12-08-2021, 05:10 PM   #422
georgebmwM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.00]
2017 Camaro ZL1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
I just got my new unit today. I have 3 8" subs installed running around 2000 rms. I will the bass frequencies with a tone generator on my phone and see if I notice any cut off. It might be a few days before I get to install it and test though.
Great, thank you! Awaiting your results.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2021, 05:37 PM   #423
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebmwM3 View Post
Is that bass issue true for both versions?
Yes. Both versions have basically identical hardware, and both versions have the bass issue.

Again- to do any accurate comparison, you must compare audio directly against the same audio natively through the CIC system.

For example, if you are testing an MP3 file, use the MP3 file from mr12volt in any capacity(directly from mr12volt, carplay or android auto), and then play the same file from a USB stick natively in the CIC without adjusting the EQ or volume. They should sound identical, and they won't. There will be a significant loss in bass compared to the audio natively through the CIC system.

I have the hifi system in my car, and people have reported the issue in individual audio as well. It affects everyone.

Anybody who claims they aren't affected, hasn't done an apples to apples comparison against the CIC system, is selecting audio that doesn't have any bass to it, or simply has no idea what they are hearing.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2021, 05:42 PM   #424
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenadam View Post
That is seriously disappointing to have an unfixable flaw in the product.

I am hopeful that the issue in the sound processor is just reducing db level for low frequency tones and there's some equalizer fix/remediation. It seems like some folks of had success with that given not everyone even acknowledges there's an issue!

Borderline unacceptable to have such a flaw, with 6-12 months uncertain timelime to resolve with a new version.
Two problems with that approach.

I'd highly suspect that any EQ adjustment is an analog adjustment not digital, so it isnt going to fix it. The hifi system doesnt even have an EQ to begin with. Dragging bass all the way to max does not fix it.

The EQ settings are system wide, not input specific, so even if you could use an EQ to fix it, you would jack up all the other inputs.

The CIC system expects a flat neutral signal on all inputs.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2021, 07:06 PM   #425
djan9el
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT

Thanks drwankel for the update. I'm a bit disappointed about this issue, so I will definitely be looking into upgrading once a new version is released. Who knows, maybe some other vendor will come up with a similar/better device before Mr12Volt. Until then, I'll just enjoy having Carplay with the compromise of lower bass. Better than what I had, so it still a win.

tdott Maybe update the OP cons list to include this bass issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 07:21 PM   #426
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djan9el View Post
tdott Maybe update the OP cons list to include this bass issue?
Updated the OP, thanks.
Appreciate 1
djan9el47.00
      12-08-2021, 07:48 PM   #427
drwankel
Major
Rep

One more thing we might want to add to the OP, and this one is fixable. I mentioned this a while back, but never included pictures.

The contrast settings out of the box are set too high. They need to be dropped by about 20%.

The way this manifests itself is if you are using google maps in carplay in daytime mode, streets are not visible. If you drop contrast by about 20%, you can see them. Attached is two pictures, one with the default contrast settings, and one with it dropped 20%

This may have been fixed in the latest firmware. I haven't tested it yet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-08-2021, 08:55 PM   #428
Tigamilla
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimE92 View Post
Man I hope that they fixed the bass issue on this one.

That's the only thing holding me back from ordering one of these..
Honestly man, it's really not bad at all. I think I was the second person on this forum to install my box and I would say it's an astounding piece of kit. Am I a bit annoyed there is a V2 already in the works and I'll be even more annoyed if it turns out that it fits into that small space behind the Aircon controls ha ha!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 08:58 PM   #429
Tigamilla
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappa2000 View Post
Guys,

Can I confirm that everyone that has installed the P2000 on a CIC has the phone button working on the steering wheel to answer and hang up?

I was also told to try and use track next/prev to answer but neither work.

Cheers
Yes works for me, and that's still running original firmware and software (because I buried the box in the car and don't have the motivation to take the car apart and update the software / firmware lol)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 09:01 PM   #430
Tigamilla
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedicivalvole View Post
Although it’s only half the issue - It seems consensus on the splitter is not to use it?
I'm using the splitter that came with my Carsara box and it's been perfectly fine, I can hit the steering wheel button and do a "hey Google take me to the nearest shell filling station" or answer calls with very good clarity on the stock mic.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 09:07 PM   #431
Tigamilla
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.e90 View Post
Will the Mr12volt device work with hifi audio? Im bypassing my stock amplifier in the next month and notice that i don’t have the MOST cables in the harness that plugs into amplifier. I realized i have hifi option 677, i believe. In that case, how will this work for the mr12volt device to get signal for audio?
Yes it will. I had base audio (no amp) and added aftermarket bits and configured it to be hifi via coding. It's all irrelevant as the headunit outputs analog signals to aftermarket amps etc. So the box will communicate digitally with the headunit which in turn will happily send a clean analog signal to whatever device you want.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 09:21 PM   #432
Tigamilla
Private
Rep

Sorry for the serial posts but on the bass complaints, I have to disagree: I find while running Android Auto I have plenty of clean bass based on my phone's eq.

Agreed, it's quite tinny when I run it directly using the mr12volt Bluetooth music player but 100% of the time I'm streaming or playing songs via Android Auto apps and the bass is full bodied and very clean -> YouTube music, poweramp etc, all sound amazing. On some songs after a trackday I've had to turn the volume down to better assess what I thought I could feel as the rumble of a loose wheel or shot wheel bearing, lol. Nope, was just the subs.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 09:34 PM   #433
Snappa2000
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigamilla View Post
Sorry for the serial posts but on the bass complaints, I have to disagree: I find while running Android Auto I have plenty of clean bass based on my phone's eq.

Agreed, it's quite tinny when I run it directly using the mr12volt Bluetooth music player but 100% of the time I'm streaming or playing songs via Android Auto apps and the bass is full bodied and very clean -> YouTube music, poweramp etc, all sound amazing. On some songs after a trackday I've had to turn the volume down to better assess what I thought I could feel as the rumble of a loose wheel or shot wheel bearing, lol. Nope, was just the subs.
I have to agree with you, it is all personal preference, but it is still very good.
When running Waze, the notifications eg, 'Speed Camera Ahead' does sound distored and loud.. Not sure where to reduce the setting for this as in the other car is it fine.
Appreciate 1
JiGZ13.50
      12-08-2021, 11:37 PM   #434
mike5124
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i (E90)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I just purchased this P2000 Light box for CIC. Absolutely no bass, whatsoever. My old $100 CarPlay Kremersino V1 box had better sound.

Here's the worst part, I can't even change the settings, because it won't support my CCC controller and with the additional costs, I'm going to spend well over $520, which isn't worth it considering it has these issues.

I can't believe I praised this. Just so everyone knows, I have Hi-Fi audio and CIC retrofit on my 06 325i. CDs, AUX, and radio have clear and great sound, it's just this CarPlay box that is an utter disappointment.

I am considering returning this and going to repair the wiring on my old box. All treble no bass lol.

Truly disappointed. I hope this helps someone who is still on the fence for purchasing. Sorry for the rant.

Update 1/6/21: After messing with the Bass settings in CIC, I was able to compensate for the lacking bass originally. The sound is now acceptable and clearer than AUX. As a result I decided to keep this unit. I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Mike
Appreciate 1
SlimE92185.50
      12-09-2021, 12:04 AM   #435
Kestass
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 C6 2.0TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Two problems with that approach.

I'd highly suspect that any EQ adjustment is an analog adjustment not digital, so it isnt going to fix it. The hifi system doesnt even have an EQ to begin with. Dragging bass all the way to max does not fix it.

The EQ settings are system wide, not input specific, so even if you could use an EQ to fix it, you would jack up all the other inputs.

The CIC system expects a flat neutral signal on all inputs.
Interesting. .. For example, I have a digital guitar processor and a graphic equalizer appeared there after a regular update. Maybe something like this could be installed in the new firmware. Or engineers are just lazy to change something.
But if the low frequencies are simply cut off as a filter, no equalizer will save ...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 11:05 AM   #436
mike5124
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Well I'm gonna borrow a CIC controller from a friend and try to fiddle with the settings and update the system. It doesn't seem to be updated, as the voice control button from the steering wheel does not work.

Can anyone share their equalizer settings on the box? I would like to give this box one more chance before I make a final conclusion.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 11:09 AM   #437
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5124 View Post
Well I'm gonna borrow a CIC controller from a friend and try to fiddle with the settings and update the system. It doesn't seem to be updated, as the voice control button from the steering wheel does not work.
Probably a simpler explanation for your problem here. The unit ties into the can bus off the CCC/CIC controller. The fact that you are using a CCC controller with a CIC system is likely what is causing your voice control button to not work. Just a guess.

The software is updated out of the box if you got a unit made after 9/2021.
Appreciate 2
      12-09-2021, 12:17 PM   #438
mike5124
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Quote:
Probably a simpler explanation for your problem here. The unit ties into the can bus off the CCC/CIC controller. The fact that you are using a CCC controller with a CIC system is likely what is causing your voice control button to not work. Just a guess.

The software is updated out of the box if you got a unit made after 9/2021.
Appreciate the response. I was also just told there are no equalizer settings within the box to fiddle with. I will test CarPlay with a wired connection, I'm not even sure if it will make a difference but I think at the end of today, I'm going to return it.

My AUX input sounds so much better, it's only like a 5% decrease in clarity but the range of frequencies is MUCH better.

Truly disappointed with this new P2000 light box. Maybe other owners can jump in and see if they have the same issues?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 01:32 PM   #439
Tastyguac
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Wagon

Quote:
Appreciate the response. I was also just told there are no equalizer settings within the box to fiddle with. I will test CarPlay with a wired connection, I'm not even sure if it will make a difference but I think at the end of today, I'm going to return it.

My AUX input sounds so much better, it's only like a 5% decrease in clarity but the range of frequencies is MUCH better.

Truly disappointed with this new P2000 light box. Maybe other owners can jump in and see if they have the same issues?
I just ran some sounds tones through both my P2000 lights box using wireless carplay, and then the same tones through combox bluetooth. Both using an iphone 13 pro. Hifi audio. I used 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30hz tone files. I do not get anything coming from the speakers with the 5, 10, and 15hz tones through either source. 20hz and up sound identical (to my ears) from either source.

Not trying to stir up anything, just reporting my results. My aux port doesn't work due to a coding issue I've never bothered to fix, so I can't comment using that as a source. The combox uses MOST as well, maybe the issue lies with audio going through MOST vs the aux port?
Appreciate 3
      12-09-2021, 02:32 PM   #440
Thrawn
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I decided I would hook my unit up during my lunch break. the install went pretty easy, except my Idrive controller knob doesn't work. I had to unhook the unit until I can get this figured out.
Appreciate 0