BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

05-19-2015, 04:03 PM   #23
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
True, but I'd rather have the N54's modding potential over the N55. I think the driving experience being totally different is still up in the air. The m235 already has the same N55 and LSD, so the only real difference will be the suspension setup and the wider fenders. I can swap suspension for much less than the price difference between the two cars.
You can swap suspension but its still not going to be an M car. Trust me i know. I did that to my 135i, and guess what? 1M is significantly faster at the track due one factor IMO, tire size. This factor was by far the biggest limiting factor for non M car to go faster. And the price difference is not as big as you think if any, after you go through all the hassle and expense of modifications.
And to answer OPs question, i would go with M2, it will be much faster than e9x m3, and you will have a brand new car
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 04:20 PM   #24
shu5892001
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: GS-F

I would choose E90... only if the bearing issue is addressed. Been getting on my nerves specially reaching 60k miles.

Some time I wish I can trade off some of the "soul" for reliability...
      05-26-2015, 06:26 PM   #25
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
The m235 already has the same N55 and LSD, so the only real difference will be the suspension setup and the wider fenders. I can swap suspension for much less than the price difference between the two cars.
it has a different LSD, and you really cant swap out the suspension parts at all

the m2 (same as f8x) has

-bespoke solid mount rear subframe
-lightweight all aluminum suspension components (control arms, tie rods etc)
-wider suspension track front and rear
-electronically controlled LSD
-unique stiff chassis bracing

None of those things can be retrofitted onto an m235.

im not getting into whether an m2 is better than an e92, but the above is definitely true and results in the m2 being a much different and more complete beast than an m235
      05-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #26
abp689
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi Wagon,330ZHP, 318Ti (MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu5892001 View Post
I would choose E90... only if the bearing issue is addressed. Been getting on my nerves specially reaching 60k miles.Some time I wish I can trade off some of the "soul" for reliability...
A friend of mine did not take advise to replace 996 ims bearings last year. After only 23k miles, it blew. If it wasn't for the bearing issue, I would probably have the M3 now. Whether it is overblown or not, having that in the back of my mind adds a bit of unneeded anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
it has a different LSD, and you really cant swap out the suspension parts at all

the m2 (same as f8x) has

-bespoke solid mount rear subframe
-lightweight all aluminum suspension components (control arms, tie rods etc)
-wider suspension track front and rear
-electronically controlled LSD
-unique stiff chassis bracing
I read this on the forums, but is this official?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 12:19 PM   #27
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
M2 will be great, not sure why everyone hates it so much?!

Honestly in many ways I would rather have a high volume engine with a few tweaks versus a bespoke expensive engine. Certainly once its out of warranty.

If they made a 2 series with 4 doors I would prefer the 2 series to the 3. I personally am more of a small agile kind of car guy as opposed to big and powerful. Of course they don't make a 4 door M smaller than the 3 hence I go with a M3.
If you want a high volume engine then bmw already offers you plenty of options.

You are the next gen M driver though. Just want the badge.... Who cares about driving experience and soul in a car!
driving experience?

the m2 will have the f80 suspension if it follows in the footsteps of the 1m. besides throttle response even the baby mcar will destroy our e9xs.

on the track both should be fun so the driving experience will be there no doubt. when has a new mcar not been better than an older one?

I live my e90m setup the way it is right now but shit, I'm feeling the lack of speed lately.
      06-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #28
maloo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abp689 View Post
A friend of mine did not take advise to replace 996 ims bearings last year. After only 23k miles, it blew. If it wasn't for the bearing issue, I would probably have the M3 now. Whether it is overblown or not, having that in the back of my mind adds a bit of unneeded anxiety.

The fabled Porsche reliability strikes again. What was the bill for the engine blowing up?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 12:43 PM   #29
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloo View Post
The fabled Porsche reliability strikes again. What was the bill for the engine blowing up?
Did you now read what he said? He was advised to do PREVENTATIVE maintenance and ignored. No different than the hundreds? thousands? who have has rod bearing issues on M3s and didn't do preventative maintenance.

IMS issues were more rare than rod bearing issues the M3 has been plagued with for the last 2 generations. Their reliability and quality are second to none. I guess you wouldn't know always pointing out exceptions without first hand experience.

My father and I have put close to 100K miles on several 911's (and even more with my extended family) and never had one issue. Same can't be said of the many BMW's our family has had.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #30
maloo
First Lieutenant
Rep

That's a nice little anecdote but I'll take hard empirical evidence over it:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102592730

Read it and weep. The new Porsche marketing campaign: "We suck less than Bentley."
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 01:12 PM   #31
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
That's a nice little anecdote but I'll take hard empirical evidence over it:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102592730

Read it and weep. The new Porsche marketing campaign: "We suck less than Bentley."
LOL. Porsche has far better overall quality and dependability than anything Euro.

Funny you pick some bogus article that correlates price of repairs. Of course Porsche and Bentley are going to rank lower if you take into account price because their rates and parts being more rate are more expensive. FAIL on your part since that has nothing to do with HOW reliable they are, just that when something does break it's more expensive. That is common sense you seen to have missed.

Here is the most tried, trusted and very most believable party in terms of quality and dependability. Read it and weep...

JD Power is the most empiricle evidence you will get. Again, you are constantly proven wrong over and over again. Let the weeping commence.

Dependability?
http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...dability-study

Sucks for BMW since they got beaten by Porsche of course, but by Mercedes and Audi. And thats current BMWs which are a whole lot better than the e9x/and previous generation of cars.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!ahahahahahahahahhahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Initial Quality - 3 years running Porsche is #1

http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...lity-study-iqs

Last edited by Wolfinwolfsclothing; 06-20-2015 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #32
maloo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
LOL. Porsche has far better overall quality and dependability than anything Euro.

Funny you pick some bogus article that correlates price of repairs. Of course Porsche and Bentley are going to rank lower if you take into account price because their rates and parts being more rate are more expensive. FAIL on your part since that has nothing to do with HOW reliable they are, just that when something does break it's more expensive. That is common sense you seen to have missed.

Here is the most tried, trusted and very most believable party in terms of quality and dependability. Read it and weep...

JD Power is the most empiricle evidence you will get. Again, you are constantly proven wrong over and over again. Let the weeping commence.

Dependability?
http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...dability-study

Sucks for BMW since they got beaten by Porsche of course, but by Mercedes and Audi. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Initial Quality - 3 years running Porsche is #1

http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...lity-study-iqs

I traded my BMW for a Buick because JD told me Buick was #2 in the world.

The Buick results show just what a sham JD Power is.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 01:22 PM   #33
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I traded my BMW for a Buick because JD told me Buick was #2 in the world.

The Buick results show just what a sham JD Power is.
Again, nothing to say when you're proven wrong by the only game in the business who have been doing this for 26 years running.
Every heard of deflection? That seems to be you're tactic.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #34
maloo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Again, nothing to say when you're proven wrong by the only game in the business who have been doing this for 26 years running.

Yeah deflection is when I ask the OP what the Porsche engine blowing up cost to repair and you respond that you and your family haven't had issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 01:35 PM   #35
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yeah deflection is when I ask the OP what the Porsche engine blowing up cost to repair and you respond that you and your family haven't had issues.
No, you missed my point. I said the IMS issues are very rare...and thats an overstatement. I was stating my personal experience. IMS was generally more problematic on cars that were infrequently driven and again, an minor issue to be quite frank.

I also pointed out that he was told to fix the IMS which is a VERY minor thing to fix, yet failed to do so. That's like blaming a manuf when your engine blows because you didn't put oil in it.

Considering how plague the S65 has been with rod bearing issues, you'd better get moving on fixing them because you might soon have the same problem like droves of others.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 01:45 PM   #36
maloo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No, you missed my point. I said the IMS issues are very rare...and thats an overstatement. I was stating my personal experience. IMS was generally more problematic on cars that were infrequently driven and again, an minor issue to be quite frank.

I also pointed out that he was told to fix the IMS which is a VERY minor thing to fix, yet failed to do so. That's like blaming a manuf when your engine blows because you didn't put oil in it.

Considering how plague the S65 has been with rod bearing issues, you'd better get moving on fixing them because you might soon have the same problem like droves of others.

I got exactly your point very well. When you call IMS replacement at 23k miles "preventative maintenance" or "very minor," I'm just not going to dignify that with a response.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #37
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I got exactly your point very well. When you call IMS replacement at 23k miles "preventative maintenance" or "very minor," I'm just not going to dignify that with a response.
Because you seemingly have no knowledge of what it is or how uncommon it was.

Again, I'd worry more about your rod bearings because it's far more likely to occur than IMS.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #38
maloo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Because you have no knowledge of what it is.

Again, I'd worry more about your rod bearings because it's far more likely to occur than IMS.

I'm in a Buick now I told you. And when I did own the BMW, I sure as hell wasn't calling the rod bearings preventative maintenance or very minor. I'm not a slave to any billion dollar company.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #39
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm in a Buick now I told you. And when I did own the BMW, I sure as hell wasn't calling the rod bearings preventative maintenance or very minor. I'm not a slave to any billion dollar company.
We can agree there...the rod bearing issue is more an epidemic and one BMW won't admit. I hope the f8x generation doesn't also have rod bearing issues like the previous 2 generations. Maybe they can get the oil weight right this time around too.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 02:06 PM   #40
maloo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
We can agree there...the rod bearing issue is more an epidemic and one BMW won't admit. I hope the f8x generation doesn't also have rod bearing issues like the previous 2 generations. Maybe they can get the oil weight right this time around too.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #41
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Nope. Sounds like you're just repeating everything I'm saying. Except that I said them first.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 03:43 PM   #42
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Quote:

You'll take any opportunity you can to hi-jack a thread to express your malcontent towards Porsche, won't you?

maloo doesn't like Porsche. Noted. Now let people discuss the M2 v E9X M3.

Carry on.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 10:28 PM   #43
abp689
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi Wagon,330ZHP, 318Ti (MT)

This one took a turn. For context, I told my friend about the IMS issue. He took it to a dealer who said it was an overblown issue and he has seen only one repair. I have read that it is a 5 a 10% chance before the engine reaches 100k miles, but that is internet fodder. All I know is it was a 100% for him. I can't remember the specifics, but depending on rebuild, it was 8-20k deal. He ended up selling the car for ~$8k. He could have dropped a new engine and maybe made a few k, but he was disgusted and just wanted out.

Okay to go Back on topic now?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 06:25 PM   #44
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
You'll take any opportunity you can to hi-jack a thread to express your malcontent towards Porsche, won't you?
Same can be said for wolfinwolfsclothing, who takes every opportunity to praise Porsche as the greatest car company in the world. Anyway, back to the M2 vs. M3...
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0