BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

03-24-2021, 10:57 PM   #1
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

Thoughts on a wrap?

Have been toying with the idea of wrapping by car in nardo grey or the lighter grey, love the way it looks.

Anyone know how long you can keep a wrap on your car without ruining paint? Or is that something you don't need to worry about?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 11:02 PM   #2
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siajoon View Post
Have been toying with the idea of wrapping by car in nardo grey or the lighter grey, love the way it looks.

Anyone know how long you can keep a wrap on your car without ruining paint? Or is that something you don't need to worry about?

Cheers!
Nardo looks awesome! But still does your AW. Is your paint in poor condition? If yes I could maybe see doing it, otherwise I couldn't unless you just didn't like the current color.

And isn't your car currently for sale?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 11:23 PM   #3
MPizza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M-Sport

wraps do not ruin paint, if anything they protect it. unless if you allow the sun to beat down on it for 10 years it might embed itself into the paint?
Appreciate 1
Siajoon1853.50
      03-24-2021, 11:48 PM   #4
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siajoon View Post

Cheers!
Nardo looks awesome! But still does your AW. Is your paint in poor condition? If yes I could maybe see doing it, otherwise I couldn't unless you just didn't like the current color.

And isn't your car currently for sale?
Car was up for a feeler and I couldn't pull through with it, I have to much of an attachment with this car.

But who knows things can change later.

As far as my paint goes, I'd like to think it's in great condition, I hand wash my car every single time once every week or two and detail it in between but I do have a scuff on the lower front bumper .
Appreciate 1
jiggz2110.00
      03-24-2021, 11:50 PM   #5
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

The tech in the wrap world is forever evolving but I had a new car wrapped for a small business back in 2010. It lived outside year round and within 5 years it ruined the paint.

For a used car, it needs prepping properly (a paint correction) so factor that in your cost.

How long will it last will depend on it's exposure to the sun, I wouldn't trust the person selling it to you 100% because they do not know.

I'm not sure what it costs these days but I'd guess with prep $5kish for a good job? Someone quoted me the other day $5500 for a whole car ppf on an e92 so I'm sure it's a similar ball park but ppf tends to be more intricate to get perfect and a better material?

Personally I don't think I'd ever wrap another car. Palette choices are subjective but IMO nardo is played out and flat grey doesn't do it for me but it looks good in pics. Ymmv, Cheers buddy.
      03-25-2021, 12:43 AM   #6
MPizza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M-Sport

I had my allroad wrapped with 3M vinyl last year for around $3k and it looked amazing. Something about wrapping an m3 bothers me though - I feel like it cheapens it overall.

I think I'm with SAMM3Y (never wrapping again) - it's cool and turns heads if you get a nice color, but then you have to worry about the wrap peeling up in corners or if you scratch it you have to rewrap that entire panel etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 07:24 AM   #7
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPizza View Post
I had my allroad wrapped with 3M vinyl last year for around $3k and it looked amazing. Something about wrapping an m3 bothers me though - I feel like it cheapens it overall.

I think I'm with SAMM3Y (never wrapping again) - it's cool and turns heads if you get a nice color, but then you have to worry about the wrap peeling up in corners or if you scratch it you have to rewrap that entire panel etc.
I appreciate the comments, and yeah I've always gone back and forth with wrapping and with the price it costs and the potential of it peeling in certain spots and possibly ruining my paint is a bit of a turn off . But IMO nardo grey is a sweet looking grey and I don't think it's played out one bit.

I saw a f82 comp for sale near me in a gorgeous grey similiar to nardo but lighter and brighter.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 07:42 AM   #8
fs34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I bought mine already wrapped, mine is silverstone wrapped completely in fire orange. I bought the car for what it was, a well documented sedan. I wasn't ready for all of the attention. The orange definitely stands out and people of all walks have had nothing but positive compliments. The wrap is close to 3 years old and still looks great and is lasting, it's Avery Dennison Gloss Orange.

That was the positive, on to the negatives. The wrap job is bad, there are seams that shouldn't be where they are and they attract dirt. Another huge negative for me is autocross. Hitting cones leaves permanent marks that well.....are permanent. Right now my car is a 10 ft car. Looks amazing from a distance but up close the flaws can be seen easily.

I am going to have the wrap removed after this autox season. I'll miss the look, but won't miss the flaws. I've considered re wrapping to something like santorini blue but will be happy with the silverstone and the ability to wipe off the cone.

I would have never considered a wrap before this, now I will going forward. It's a great way to change the look AND protect the paint. It's just terrible for autox!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 07:52 AM   #9
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

I have yet to see a wrap that hasn't damaged the paint upon removal. I'm not talking major damage but there always seems to be areas where the clear coat is lifted.
      03-25-2021, 10:17 AM   #10
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

I shouldn't have said played out, that's a little harsh, popular is what I mean across lots of different makes and models. It does look good but reminds me of a color they paint Prison walls, postal buildings, navy ships etc.

It's a flat color, might be reasonable enough to paint the whole car $10k? If you do the math on a $5k correction and wrap over 5 years, it's like $85/month to lease a color for your car. Wouldn't be worth it to me.
      03-25-2021, 10:35 AM   #11
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

I wrapped my own 13 year old M3 myself for $575 for 5x60ft - 3M 1080. Found out the hard way that clear pulling is a thing if you don't have good OEM clear. The previous owner never told me the door was resprayed.

Would I do it again? Yes on an older car, but never on a new car.

The nice thing with my wrap which is Satin, I don't have to wax it.

I spend more time driving then cleaning and that is the way I like it.

Last edited by bvrider1; 03-26-2021 at 04:56 AM.. Reason: 3m
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 11:43 PM   #12
Throatpunch
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

If you wrap you have to remove it within the number of years dictated by the brand. You also want a name brand like Avery or 3m aka cast not calendered vinyl.

Make sure that your paint is oem paint otherwise u risk it ripping off with vinyl removal
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 12:56 AM   #13
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

I was considering wraps for a while too, and came across a product called Satin Guard.

Apparently vinyl wrap is 2-3 mil thick, while this Satin Guard is 8mil thick.

Only caveat is that it is clear, and gives any color you apply it over as frozen finish (they might have actual solid colors too).

Anyway, here is an old thread of people talking about it:

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...083&page=2
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 10:57 AM   #14
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

My car had 10 year old PPF on it when I bought it. The shop had a hell of a time getting it off. It mostly came off fine. The front bumper cover had a repaint at some point though, and removing the PPF did pull up the paint on the top of the lip. Had to have a shop touch that up.

If you're dead set on a wrap, look into liquid wrapping. Mine is wrapped in a replica of San Marino blue, and genuinely looks like a paint. There are a few spots that were sprayed a little roughly, though. But it's not very noticeable unless you're in garage detailing lighting

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 2
Siajoon1853.50
      03-26-2021, 12:16 PM   #15
djschmitt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 DCT, Impreza MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike360 View Post
If you're dead set on a wrap, look into liquid wrapping.
Is that the same as the DipYourCar YouTube channel? I've been watching that for a few months and have progressively been wondering more about this type of technology to change the color of your car.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 10:33 PM   #16
Throatpunch
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djschmitt View Post
Is that the same as the DipYourCar YouTube channel? I've been watching that for a few months and have progressively been wondering more about this type of technology to change the color of your car.
Plastidip is soso
Look up raail airwrap
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2021, 01:29 AM   #17
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

Wow the technology is advancing so fast… Soon enough we'll be changing colors like in GTA
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 10:39 AM   #18
Shrike360
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 2011 Porsche CTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by djschmitt View Post
I've seen some of this stuff used on DYC. There are brands such as autoflex and halo efx (mine is halo, except the clear wrap on the roof is autoflex). Effectively a high end version of plastidip.

It has a flexible base put down as the color/removable base, then it's coated in automotive clear. I had the installer to sand the entire car to smooth it out. Can use any detailing products you want on it, I just did a CSL+EXO coating combo on it.

Here are my thoughts across the process: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1767220
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 01:34 AM   #19
lancerr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

I only buy used cars and wrapping is a no brainer. Allows me to get exactly what i want from a spec wise without worrying about the exterior color.

I had a brand new space gray 2013 and by the time i decided to return it there were lots of chips that were a headache.

The 2009 m3 i bought a year later had shit jet black paint and so i got a great deal. I had the wrap color picked before i picked up the car and its been 4 years and the wrap looks great. the only place its peeling is in the front bumper and i am planning on rewrapping.

I would never not wrap my car. its my dd and it not worth agonizing over nicks and scratches.

The last picture is from a few days ago. lighting is different from others - it looks pretty much the same. outdoors for 2 years. garaged for 2 years
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
chief207.00
bvrider1340.50
shimmy232330.00
      03-28-2021, 05:39 PM   #20
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 AW

Like many others have said already wrapping is a great option if you are looking for a change and have some paint protection so when you do sell you have kept the quality of the original paint.

I have wrapped my car 3 times. The m3 (once so far) and my dad's mercedes twice.
Only thing i would suggest is to not keep the wrap on for 5+ years it will be a bitch to take off. If you dont have any peeling paint problems now, or your car hasnt been repainted at the the wrap will not damage the paint on removal. Just let it bake in the sun for a while it peels in one piece.

THe m3 is a vivid matte metallic red. the benz is a 3M matte pearl white.
Appreciate 1
Siajoon1853.50
      03-28-2021, 07:03 PM   #21
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

+1

My daily is my tundra but my M3 is always going to be wrapped. Seems like you enjoy your car like how it should be!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerr View Post
I only buy used cars.
I would never not wrap my car. its my dd and it not worth agonizing over nicks and scratches.
Appreciate 1
lancerr343.50
      03-28-2021, 10:37 PM   #22
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerr View Post
I only buy used cars and wrapping is a no brainer. Allows me to get exactly what i want from a spec wise without worrying about the exterior color.

I had a brand new space gray 2013 and by the time i decided to return it there were lots of chips that were a headache.

The 2009 m3 i bought a year later had shit jet black paint and so i got a great deal. I had the wrap color picked before i picked up the car and its been 4 years and the wrap looks great. the only place its peeling is in the front bumper and i am planning on rewrapping.

The last picture is from a few days ago. lighting is different from others - it looks pretty much the same. outdoors for 2 years. garaged for 2 years

I wouldn't call my car a DD but I do enjoy spirited drives once in awhile. That being said my paint is in great condition minus a scuff on the lower bumper. I have just heard horror stories of completely wrecking the original paint from wrapping after spending a good amount of money (about 3-4k in my area)
Appreciate 0