BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

03-28-2018, 11:52 PM   #5545
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

A driver died at Sonoma today. Very sad.
Attached Images

03-30-2018, 08:46 AM   #5546
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Getting prepped for COTA with Chin next weekend!
Attached Images

roastbeef11586.00
admranger2984.50
      03-30-2018, 08:51 AM   #5547
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Getting prepped for COTA with Chin next weekend!
Does your power bleeder work well? I've heard mixed reviews..
      03-30-2018, 09:56 AM   #5548
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Anyone here running the Schroth SHR Flex? If so, did you have the more traditional HANS before?

I trust the original HANS since it is tried-and-true in a shitload of racing series and real accidents over the years. The SHR Flex has the same SFI 38.1 cert meaning it should offer the same level of protection (in theory), but I'm still skeptical since you always see the pros with the "original" device.

I have also heard that the SHR is a bit more comfortable than the regular HANS, especially on the collarbone. Some people are particularly sensitive to bruising there due to their unique anatomy, though if you are wearing a full suit it adds some additional cushioning.

(FYI there was a recent price drop on the SHR, it's now $499)

Last edited by dparm; 03-30-2018 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 10:20 AM   #5549
Mantii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Anyone here running the Schroth SHR Flex? If so, did you have the more traditional HANS before?

I trust the original HANS since it is tried-and-true in a shitload of racing series and real accidents over the years. The SHR Flex has the same SFI 38.1 cert meaning it should offer the same level of protection (in theory), but I'm still skeptical since you always see the pros with the "original" device.

I have also heard that the SHR is a bit more comfortable than the regular HANS, especially on the collarbone. Some people are particularly sensitive to bruising there due to their unique anatomy, though if you are wearing a full suit it adds some additional cushioning.

(FYI there was a recent price drop on the SHR, it's now $499)
I have both the SHR and traditional Hans.

I find the SHR more comfortable and lighter, unless you have the Pro Hans that is Carbon. I still don't like that long thing right behind your neck.

I bought the SHR for myself and the Hans for the passenger in case I need it.

One difference I have noticed is that the straps on the SHR have more play versus the traditional Hans. I think this was answered by Schroth, saying it is normal and that the Straps tighten on impact.

I trust Schroth, I'm sure they know what they are doing. The SHR looks similar to the Simpson hybrid which I have seen pro drivers use in IMSA for example
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 11:03 AM   #5550
Visceral
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M track mule, cars n bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Does your power bleeder work well? I've heard mixed reviews..
I have the same one.

I'll never do it any other way.

That said, I never put fluid in the bleeder. I always refill the car's resevoir and keep an eye on the fluid level. That way there's zero cleanup, up if I only use SRF on anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 02:57 AM   #5551
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (F82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
A driver died at Sonoma today. Very sad.
Wow, that sucks.. any idea how he died? Mechanical failure, heart failure, something else? I heard of an older biker dying at Laguna not too long ago because he literally had a heart attack on the front straight and of course lost control.

Thanks,
S.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 06:12 AM   #5552
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

No idea, some were speculating a heart attack.
      03-31-2018, 12:22 PM   #5553
Mantii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No idea, some were speculating a heart attack.
There should be a cut off point in terms of age. I'm not discriminating, but a 60 or 70 year old just doesn't have the reflexes or speed of thought a younger driver has. In addition, heart is doing a lot more work at those speeds, and if someone isn't fit or has other cardiovascular issues such as cholesterol etc, these things will happen. Why introduce more potential issues when there is already so much that can go wrong on track?

Sad story either way, not something we want to see. Stay safe everyone, track season starting.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 01:33 PM   #5554
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantii View Post
There should be a cut off point in terms of age. I'm not discriminating, but a 60 or 70 year old just doesn't have the reflexes or speed of thought a younger driver has. In addition, heart is doing a lot more work at those speeds, and if someone isn't fit or has other cardiovascular issues such as cholesterol etc, these things will happen. Why introduce more potential issues when there is already so much that can go wrong on track?

Sad story either way, not something we want to see. Stay safe everyone, track season starting.
^ sorry but that is complete BS

Driving competently on track is not about lightning reflexes, its about feel, anticipation and sensory feedback.
Cognitive power doesn't magically disappear at a certain age.

I agree about fitness and or physical limitations, but that applies regardless of age.

...and yes I'm 65+ and getting faster every year.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 2
redpriest2147.00
admranger2984.50
      03-31-2018, 01:47 PM   #5555
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
I have both the SHR and traditional Hans.

I find the SHR more comfortable and lighter, unless you have the Pro Hans that is Carbon. I still don't like that long thing right behind your neck.

I bought the SHR for myself and the Hans for the passenger in case I need it.

One difference I have noticed is that the straps on the SHR have more play versus the traditional Hans. I think this was answered by Schroth, saying it is normal and that the Straps tighten on impact.

I trust Schroth, I'm sure they know what they are doing. The SHR looks similar to the Simpson hybrid which I have seen pro drivers use in IMSA for example

Thanks, good info. The tether slack isn't really a big deal, based on what even Simpson has said.

I am also eyeing the Simpson Hybrid and might even rent one for a weekend to see what I think. It looks much more comfortable than the HANS/SHR. I have 4-points so the ability to use it with factory 3-point belts isn't a selling point, but that flexibility is pretty awesome.
      03-31-2018, 05:43 PM   #5556
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Simpson hybrid is way better. You don't even realize it's on.
      03-31-2018, 06:14 PM   #5557
beats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GTS

I am very happy with my Simpson Hybrid. Apex Performance did have some on a discount a while back. It would be worth checking with them. Great shop...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 09:08 PM   #5558
Mantii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Quote:

^ sorry but that is complete BS

Driving competently on track is not about lightning reflexes, its about feel, anticipation and sensory feedback.
Cognitive power doesn't magically disappear at a certain age.

I agree about fitness and or physical limitations, but that applies regardless of age.

...and yes I'm 65+ and getting faster every year.
Unfortunately it is not bs. I commend you for still pursuing your passion at 65+ but this is an outlier.

Please don't take this as an insult, but I've had too many scary instances on public roads with elderly drivers who ran lights, can't see, swirl around, etc. Just research a bit and you'll find plenty of countries considering regular testing for elderly drivers to make sure they aren't a hazard on the road.

Driving competence has nothing to do with age as this was the case here too. It was apparently a heart attack. How many younger drivers pass out or get heart attacks on track? However, as you age, everything slows down, that's a fact.

If you think your body and "sensors" function the same at 70 versus 20, maybe you should submit yourself to a science study. If reflexes and such aren't important, please tell that to the professional teams to stop their drivers undergoing such tests and training. Let's not even talk about the ability to fully recover from a bigger accident at that age.

If you still got it, more power to you. I hope I can say the same thing at 65.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 10:03 PM   #5559
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Almost got to see a Mustang incident at Cars and Coffee!

03-31-2018, 10:29 PM   #5560
Mantii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post

Lol. Was it you that also recorded a car that started smoking real bad? I thought that one was absolutely hilarious
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 10:37 PM   #5561
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Unfortunately it is not bs. I commend you for still pursuing your passion at 65+ but this is an outlier.

Please don't take this as an insult, but I've had too many scary instances on public roads with elderly drivers who ran lights, can't see, swirl around, etc. Just research a bit and you'll find plenty of countries considering regular testing for elderly drivers to make sure they aren't a hazard on the road.

Driving competence has nothing to do with age as this was the case here too. It was apparently a heart attack. How many younger drivers pass out or get heart attacks on track? However, as you age, everything slows down, that's a fact.

If you think your body and "sensors" function the same at 70 versus 20, maybe you should submit yourself to a science study. If reflexes and such aren't important, please tell that to the professional teams to stop their drivers undergoing such tests and training. Let's not even talk about the ability to fully recover from a bigger accident at that age.

No insult taken, and maybe I wasn't clear.
I'm not disputing the fact that there is no fountain of youth.
I get that.

I am disputing your contention that there should be cut off based on age.
It should be based purely on health and competency regardless of age.

If there was some way to monitor/test for this, i would be 100% behind it.
But it should apply to everyone regardless of age.

I've seen plenty of 40somethings at the track that look to be somewhat less than healthy.
There are also asshats on track who's bravado exceeds skill level and that is definitely not limited to any age group.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 2
Mantii314.50
admranger2984.50
      03-31-2018, 11:22 PM   #5562
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I’d be more worried about a young obese person experiencing a health event on track, than a healthy old person.

If we’re going to ban old people from track events, we should ban obese individuals as well people with cardiovascular health issues. While we’re at it, let’s require everyone to get clearance from a physician, and anyone who has a higher than normal risk of experiencing a health event on track should be banned.

Last edited by SQ13; 03-31-2018 at 11:27 PM..
Appreciate 2
Mantii314.50
admranger2984.50
      03-31-2018, 11:39 PM   #5563
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Where’d you put your mic? I’m having a hard time finding a spot where my mic won’t capture wind noise.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 11:46 PM   #5564
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
Quote:

WhereÂ’d you put your mic? IÂ’m having a hard time finding a spot where my mic wonÂ’t capture wind noise.
I use one of these and squish it between my trunk and the bumper. Works good.
Attached Images

03-31-2018, 11:58 PM   #5565
Mantii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Quote:

No insult taken, and maybe I wasn't clear.
I'm not disputing the fact that there is no fountain of youth.
I get that.

I am disputing your contention that there should be cut off based on age.
It should be based purely on health and competency regardless of age.

If there was some way to monitor/test for this, i would be 100% behind it.
But it should apply to everyone regardless of age.

I've seen plenty of 40somethings at the track that look to be somewhat less than healthy.
There are also asshats on track who's bravado exceeds skill level and that is definitely not limited to any age group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
I'd be more worried about a young obese person experiencing a health event on track, than a healthy old person.

If we're going to ban old people from track events, we should ban obese individuals as well people with cardiovascular health issues. While we're at it, let's require everyone to get clearance from a physician, and anyone who has a higher than normal risk of experiencing a health event on track should be banned.
Good points and completely agree. I think most if not all sanctioning bodies require Health Checkups before you can go compete. Unfortunately that is not the case with HPDE.

I didn't mean an arbitrary number to ban people from participating, more like doing checkup to make sure that individual is still healthy enough. After reading my post again, that's kinda want it sounded like.
But I would also agree that probably everyone should at last a yearly checkup. And yup, tons of younger jackasses far more dangerous than the older drivers. Gentleman drivers also tend to be a lot more helpful and source of good info from my experience
Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2430.50
      04-01-2018, 02:37 AM   #5566
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I use one of these and squish it between my trunk and the bumper. Works good.
$13 for grey hair???
Appreciate 0