BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

08-03-2020, 06:52 PM   #1
subieliu
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

LUX angel eyes 189 review

Hi guys, I didn't find any reviews on the latest lux H8 189 angel eyes so I decided to just buy them and make a video on them. If you guys are interested! Hopefully it helps some people on here.

Last edited by subieliu; 08-03-2020 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 4
      08-07-2020, 01:16 AM   #2
FredDrivesCars
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 Jeep Rubicon

Nice review man.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 01:47 PM   #3
subieliu
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredDrivesCars View Post
Nice review man.
Thanks man! I greatly appreciate that, means alot!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 07:27 PM   #4
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Great review! Lux makes good stuff, had mine on for two years now with zero issues, really brings the look of the car up to date!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 12:25 PM   #5
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for the review of these lights and glad to hear that you are happy with them overall. The LUX H8 V3 are from at least 5-6 years ago. Its always best to look at them from farther back in the daytime, this helps the camera focus on them the best as well.

Great recommendation on the install too. Putting the LED end upwards is much more helpful when installing them as well. The LED’s are full brightness as well right out of the box and don’t require any “burn in” period like HID’s.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 08:30 AM   #6
hackR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3 titanium silver

how do they look/match with the xenon lights which are 5000k?...

i have standard (non-led) h8 5000k Philips bulbs that match the color of the xenon, but they aren't very bright - especially the outer ring...to replace with the lux leds, i would like to make sure they match and am concerned that the 7000k of the 189s would be too cool and not match...

my requirements are:

1) similar temperature color of the xenons,
2) brighter than the standard non-led bulbs,
3) maintain the definition/separation of the xenon and angle eyes when both are on (not one big blob of light)

Would the 189s be a fit for me, or would another set of lux angel eyes be better...

i have a 2009 pre-lci e92 m3 coupe...

Last edited by hackR; 09-06-2020 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #7
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

In my opinion... These LUX halo bulbs are USELESS.

I have them.

They are useless because of how the E92 headlight halos are designed...

The inner halo is the only one that gets lit up and is super bright and nice, but since the outer halo doesn’t have its own bulb and no light duct to illuminate it (its essentially just two half rings place on top of the projector), it can never receive light from the inner halo bulb.

So, when you make the inner halo brighter... It just contrasts how dim the outer halo becomes.

And at $200... it’s a total rip off. Sorry, just facts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-06-2020, 02:21 PM   #8
NascaBmw16
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlug View Post

I have them.

The inner halo is the only one that gets lit up and is super bright and nice, but since the outer halo doesn't have its own bulb and no light duct to illuminate it (its essentially just two half rings place on top of the projector), it can never receive light from the inner halo bulb.

So, when you make the inner halo brighter... It just contrasts how dim the outer halo becomes.

And at $200... it's a total rip off. Sorry, just facts.
I have them too, not worth the $200.00
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 09:51 AM   #9
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I have them.

The inner halo is the only one that gets lit up and is super bright and nice, but since the outer halo doesn’t have its own bulb and no light duct to illuminate it (its essentially just two half rings place on top of the projector), it can never receive light from the inner halo bulb.

And at $200... it’s a total rip off. Sorry, just facts.
The LUX bulbs are a plug and play replacement designed to make the rings over 2x brighter than stock and a pure white color to match up with the xenon bulbs. They are not designed to overcome the physical design of headlights as that is just not possible.

With the pictures you posted, no one really looks at the car that close and when you are driving down the road everyone else sees the car from farther away, and at that distance the rings will appear completely illuminated. Even 1-2 car lengths away the rings will look fully illuminated.

To take a picture up close, standing above the car - any light bulb in there will look terrible. The LUX were not designed to fix that, so you cant have the expectation that they will fix it.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2020, 09:54 AM   #10
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackR View Post
how do they look/match with the xenon lights which are 5000k?...

i have standard (non-led) h8 5000k Philips bulbs that match the color of the xenon, but they aren't very bright - especially the outer ring...to replace with the lux leds, i would like to make sure they match and am concerned that the 7000k of the 189s would be too cool and not match...

my requirements are:

1) similar temperature color of the xenons,
2) brighter than the standard non-led bulbs,
3) maintain the definition/separation of the xenon and angle eyes when both are on (not one big blob of light)

Would the 189s be a fit for me, or would another set of lux angel eyes be better...

i have a 2009 pre-lci e92 m3 coupe...
If you have a 5000K xenon bulb then the LUX H8 189 may not be a perfect match as those are meant to match up with the stock 4300K. The LUX H8 V6 will likely be a better option as they are adjustable white color and you can set them to match the xenon color better.

with #3 - the blob of light is only in pictures as the camera will often overexpose the light causing it to look like a blob. In person this does not happen as your eyes adjust accordingly
Appreciate 1
irokwrx765.00
      09-11-2020, 03:10 AM   #11
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Wow a lot of angry posts here. They're not going to be magic.. at an angle, they won't be perfect. They're still a good upgrade from stock imho. Full illumination from all angles will be a $2,000+ headlight swap

Attaching example pics of my H8 160
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      09-11-2020, 11:58 PM   #12
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

The bulbs are bright, the problem is the stock headlight design only supports one bulb, where the outer halos are just two clear plastic pieces, and don’t have a way to directly get illuminated from that one bulb.

Therefore, $200 for mediocre results is just not worth it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
lancerr343.50
      09-14-2020, 08:41 AM   #13
aerosynch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 6MT

Everyone's opinion will vary but I think the LUX looks better than the outdated yellow halos. Sure it's hard to get them to show up on a photo and up close in person but it's worth it for me.
Attached Images

09-14-2020, 10:49 AM   #14
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

This picture is the perfect example of the way the headlight look from different angles.

The passenger side is fully illuminated while the driver side is not. Again its just the design of the headlights. From a distance they both look even through, and as mentioned earlier, much better than stock

This one really shows how they look in person from a distance, so thank you for posting this!!

Appreciate 2
kyippee1072.00
      09-14-2020, 04:33 PM   #15
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosynch View Post
Everyone's opinion will vary but I think the LUX looks better than the outdated yellow halos. Sure it's hard to get them to show up on a photo and up close in person but it's worth it for me.
No doubt the white light looks better than the yellowish halogen bulb... but, the price is just ridiculously outrageous.

There are tons and tons of other (BETTER) options for LED halo bulbs on Amazon and eBay, for $40-$60.

Search for: "E92 LED halo bulbs"

Seek and yee shall find. Just look at the reviews.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 04:51 PM   #16
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosynch View Post
No doubt the white light looks better than the yellowish halogen bulb... but, the price is just ridiculously outrageous.

There are tons and tons of other (BETTER) options for LED halo bulbs on Amazon and eBay, for $40-$60.

Search for: "E92 LED halo bulbs"

Seek and yee shall find. Just look at the reviews.
Sorry

Lux has been active and engaged with the forum since these cars came out. You feel like 140 bucks is that big of a deal price gap wise?

I sure don't. I've had several sets of Lux in different cars and have never had issues. Plenty here pay premiums on parts for IND because you're not just buying a product, you're also buying a service and relationship. Lux will be there if you need help, have questions, or have issues. Good luck getting help when the eBay light burns out or breaks in a month.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-23-2020, 04:07 AM   #17
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Thank you for posting pics that are OBVIOUSLY PHOTOSHOPPED HAHAHAHAHAAAAAA :
Appreciate 3
      09-30-2020, 08:39 AM   #18
ramo135
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 ZCP Alpine White

Had a set on my old z4 and one bulb burnt out after 14 months so just out of the warranty window. Contacted customer service and they offered to sell me one bulb I think for half price? Sold that car and when I bought my M3 it came with them and within a few months of owning it low and behold another one burnt out. Not worth the money in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2021, 09:33 AM   #19
lancerr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Lux may have been worth it - not any more

I think the issue is that Lux at $199 isn't that much better than the ones you find on Amazon for $30. I don't mind going through $30 every 12 months. I don't want to go through $200 every 24 months - it's not the money since gas alone is way more than that - but it's the fact that there is an alternative that is cheaper. For $200, the lighting needs to be dramatically better and unfortunately that is just not the case.
Appreciate 2
      05-14-2021, 10:50 AM   #20
SilverSlug
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerr View Post
I think the issue is that Lux at $199 isn't that much better than the ones you find on Amazon for $30. I don't mind going through $30 every 12 months. I don't want to go through $200 every 24 months - it's not the money since gas alone is way more than that - but it's the fact that there is an alternative that is cheaper. For $200, the lighting needs to be dramatically better and unfortunately that is just not the case.
Precisely.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 11:10 AM   #21
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
I've had the same $200 Lux bulbs (they used to cost $300 when I bought them) for 10 years and they're still going strong. I had to warranty a ballast once. Service is top notch and they got my bulbs back to me fast. If you go through a $30 set every year, you'll be spending a lot more.

If you want "dramatic" change, you need to open the headlight and install LED rings. That'll cost you $2k+. So that price is also "dramatic" in comparison.
      05-18-2021, 10:28 AM   #22
lancerr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Quote:
I've had the same $200 Lux bulbs (they used to cost $300 when I bought them) for 10 years and they're still going strong. I had to warranty a ballast once. Service is top notch and they got my bulbs back to me fast. If you go through a $30 set every year, you'll be spending a lot more.

If you want "dramatic" change, you need to open the headlight and install LED rings. That'll cost you $2k+. So that price is also "dramatic" in comparison.
Funny you mention that. i am about to embark on that headlight project and the cost is about $100 for new led rings, $100 for a pair of new lenses and my time. I am not particularly mechanically inclined but this seems very doable and a much better result than any led upgrade out there.
Appreciate 0