BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-19-2014, 07:23 AM   #1
03///m3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

slight vibration issue

Okay i'm wondering if anyone else has experienced what i am feeling in the my M3. I had a track day a few weeks ago and ever since, i have an ever so slight vibration when driving on the street - almost feels as if the wheel is slightly unbalanced. I run AD08's as street/track tires so i am not changing my wheels when going to the track. I'm wondering if its rubber build up on the rim or even a chunk of rubber on the tread of the tire. I'm going to take the wheels off to investigate later this week. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Also on a separate issue, i hit a pothole yesterday and my front right wheel/suspension made a very uncomfortable clunk sound which has me concerned. It seemed like a very hard hit. Nothing seems damaged. Should i be concerned about the suspension being damaged or the rim being bent and/or cracked? I have OEM ZCP wheels.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03///m3 View Post
Okay i'm wondering if anyone else has experienced what i am feeling in the my M3. I had a track day a few weeks ago and ever since, i have an ever so slight vibration when driving on the street - almost feels as if the wheel is slightly unbalanced. I run AD08's as street/track tires so i am not changing my wheels when going to the track. I'm wondering if its rubber build up on the rim or even a chunk of rubber on the tread of the tire. I'm going to take the wheels off to investigate later this week. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Also on a separate issue, i hit a pothole yesterday and my front right wheel/suspension made a very uncomfortable clunk sound which has me concerned. It seemed like a very hard hit. Nothing seems damaged. Should i be concerned about the suspension being damaged or the rim being bent and/or cracked? I have OEM ZCP wheels.

Thanks!
A chunk of rubber on a tire tread can unbalance you wheel, also you might have lost some of the wheel balance weights of one or more than one wheels. Happened to me once. Wheels get very hot on the track and balance weights may get loose from melted adhesive. I use aluminum tape to secure them.
If you hit a big pothhole, the best way to determine if there is a suspension damage, is to take the wheel off, rebalance it, do 4 wheel alignment and see if you still have vibration or anything else anusual.
You should really have a seperate set of wheels/tires for the track.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
03///m3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hmm. never thought of a wheel weight falling off. I'll get that checked out. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 06:11 AM   #4
03///m3
First Lieutenant
Rep

I've also noticed some chunking (pieces of rubber missing) on my AD08's. I have 5k miles and 3 track days on them. Tread wise i think they look fine however some of these chunks of missing rubber is concerning me. Anything i should be concerned about? Enough to replace them?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
lmcgrew79
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, E92 M3, E46M, 550i, Viper

Under some conditions the tire can spin or rotate some on the rim under hard braking and or acceleration, but my guess is a wheel weight. Just have your local tire shop re-balance them, if one is bent they will let you know.
      05-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #6
03///m3
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgrew79 View Post
Under some conditions the tire can spin or rotate some on the rim under hard braking and or acceleration, but my guess is a wheel weight. Just have your local tire shop re-balance them, if one is bent they will let you know.
Thanks. I have an appointment for things to get done to my M3 so i am having them re-balance the wheels and check the suspension for any damage (due to pothole). I also think its a wheel weight issue. They are going to tape the weights on the wheels too since i use them on the track.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
Triple M
Doc Rebel!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange M3, X5M, Blk 135

Totally agree with Groudpilot. Wheel weight melting off my rims has now become a regular occurrence. Even duct tape didnt prevent mine from falling off. As soon as a replaced the weight, rebalanced, vibration was gone. Another thing you might want to check while at the tire shop is inspect the tire for a flat spot which has also goven me vibration issues in the past. Hope you get it taken care of without too much hassle.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #8
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgrew79 View Post
this is the most common cause ^^^^
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 0