BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum

EXXEL Distributions

02-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i X Drive

Disgusted E Mail to Hassel BMW Certified Collision Center, Freeport NY

Here is the E Mail to the Manager about my experience with Hassel BMW Certified Collision Center in Freeport, NY. DO NOT GO THERE !

Here is the E Mail to the Manager about my experience with Hassel BMW Certified Collision Center in Freeport, NY. DO NOT GO THERE !

Mr. Ed C,

I simply do not know where to begin. My recent experience at your Hassel "Certified BMW Collision Center" was TERRIBLE on so many levels that it is simply mind-numbing.

On 2/1/2012, my vehicles left side was scratched while parked by a minor "side swipe". The person who hit me left a note and promised to make good financially. He kept his promise.

I decided to bring my A TWO MONTH OLD 2012 535 to you rather than another shop I am familiar with for years... BIG MISTAKE.

Firstly, "Service Advisor" Mr. Tom C needs to rethink his theory that every customer in a naive, know-nothing idiot. When I was younger, I used to inspect new cars and lease returns for an independent leasing company that specialized in "Exotic Cars" so I am well aware

of what SHODDY body shop work looks like. Also, my wife was Office Manager at a Body shop for 3 years.

When I originally asked him how long it would be to do this job, Mr. Tom C told me "6 working days". Mr. Tom C. gave me an estimate of 2,390.41 which supposedly included wheel refinishing and alignment. I brought my vehicle in, A TWO MONTH OLD 2012 535,

before noon on Thursday 2/2/2012. I was called Wednesday 2/8 and told that my car would be ready on 2/9. I was then called on 2/9 and told that my car would NOT be ready until 2/10. When I brought the car in, I told Mr. Tom C that I was I was leaving for Florida on

business on 2/11, he made a point of telling me several times how he was "doing me a favor" and "pushing my car in ahead" of others to get it done. Maybe you can explain this since I got it back 6 working days after I brought it in ? (6.5 if you include the first day) I was also

misquoted on the so-called "special Hassel rate" for my rental car a Enterprise. The person who hit my car gave me $300 for car rental in addition to damages, which I was assured would be enough. I had to haggle and complain at Enterprise to get the rate reduced and it STILL

cost me 393.46. Part of this was for the extra day which YOU should have paid for. (more on this later)

I then came to pick up my Vehicle.

The first thing I notice is some sort of residue on the passenger side door. Mr. Tom C has someone remove it (he says it's road tar...it isn't). I didn't yet notice that "it" was also on the rear bumper as well as a few other spots…and still is.

Then I inspect the "paint work"… honestly, I have seen better paint jobs from MAACO. HOW can you release a vehicle after performing such an obviously inferior work ? Do you have NO pride in what you do ? Not only is the paint uneven

and not properly blended but there are FOUR dings and what looks like poor clear coat blending/feathering in the paint on the C pillar !

THIS IS A BRAND NEW CAR AND NOT A LEASE… I AM GOING TO HAVE IT FOR 4 YEARS !!!

Mr. Tom C's response ? "Oh, I'll have those rubbed out" he knew damn well that they wouldn't come out and made me sit there like a fool while he tried (and failed) to cover up the DISGUSTING, incompetent work that had been done, along with trying (and failing) to have the

rest of whatever that residue is (not overspray) removed (there is still plenty on the car). Mr.Tom C then makes a dramatic entrance back into the office and announces to me: "That's not coming out…the Job has to be re-done" He then brings me in the shop to show me. I

see someone trying to get off more of that residue which should have been taken care of before the car was released (especially since it wasn't there when I brought it in). Disgusted, I go back into the office. Tom then says that he will "redo it and pay for a rental"

The asks that my money be taken from me. I stupidly paid the entire bill ($2,390) in cash.

I then complained once again about the additional rental fee which I STILL feel that YOU owe me. Mr. Tom C then made a big to-do about calling Enterprise and when they told him they had already reduced my rate he told me that there was nothing more he could do. I then

gave him a "are you f#@king kidding me look" to which he responded with "Do you want me to refund you the $90.00 ?" I said: Yes. He then told "Office Manager" or whatever she is to give me the money back, she said: "I already closed it" he said: Ohhh, too late now, I can't give

you the money back; she already closed it… don't worry I'll give you a free detail" (!!???!!!) TOTAL BULLSHIT. Part of my job is setting up invoicing and POS systems for restaurants and I am very computer literate. YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU WANT IF YOU WANT TO. Rather then

losing my temper and causing a scene, I forced myself to remain calm at this point. I also found Mr. Tom C's cavalier attitude toward the whole situation simply unbelievable and infuriating.

I now have an invoice in my hand which is suspiciously short on details for the charges. On it is hand written: "LEFT PANEL NEEDS TO BE REDONE! -WE WILL PAY FOR RENTAL" I have now been there nearly 2 hours. I have to leave for Florida tomorrow (today) for 1-2 months to

open a new restaurant and I am (was) shipping my car (by covered car carrier) not sure if I can get the same arrangement next weekend and I may have to drive it.

NOW. I am postponing my trip until next weekend. I cannot stand to look at the car, it's sickening. I want this job done NOW and CORRECTLY. You are doing the job over. If you can't do a proper paint job I will send it to someone who can and

YOU will pay for it. I want a partial refund for the time and money you have and will cost me. I want a DETAILED INVOICE explaining all the work you did... NOT meaningless codes. Also, you were supposed to do an alignment… WHERE is the proof of that ?

I will have the job inspected by a third party who has been painting cars for Mercedes, BMW an Rolls for 25 years. If he finds something that I don't. It will be repainted. If you have a problem with ANY of this please tell me ASAP. You will deal with my lawyer; Robert * ******

from then on. I will also happily post this letter as a warning on EVERY BMW Forum there is, including the BMW CCA.

Obviously, "BMW CERTIFIED Collision Center" is meaningless and I will NEVER deal with you again nor will I service my car at Hassel ever again, as I have been since 2007. I am also taking this up with BMW NA about just what constitutes "Certified"

Joseph A ......

Last edited by NYF32DRIVER; 02-22-2012 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

You catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar Just saying......
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

That frikin sucks. I like your demanding attitude at this point. That's the only way you'll get anywhere. Certified my ass.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
DesiRoc
Kumar
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E93 335i, S50 E30 325i

I can understand where you're coming from. Careless work. Some places need a lot more uplift in their worker productivity.

Good Luck, but try to relax a little. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
Vroom vroom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Looking for a 335i

Where is your restaurant in Florida?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

It sounded marginal, not horrible. They were redoing the work which is the big point.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i

Something makes me think that someone who constantly types "IN QUOTES" on the interweb is probably a "PAIN IN THE ASS" in person. You are treating this like the first time in recorded history that paint work needed to be redone. Think about all the people who get sideswiped and nobody leaves a note. First World problems...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
e92LuNaTiC
Major
Mexico
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue e92

Majority of Body Shops are nothing but some serious Chop Shops...sorry to hear.
      02-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
Bob Shiftright
Save The Manuals!
Rep
Drives: E91 Schleppwagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCE90DRIVER View Post

On 2/1/2012, my vehicles left side was scratched while parked by a minor "side swipe". The person who hit me left a note and promised to make good financially. Although he is a moron for hitting me because he was "distracted by a falling water bottle, He kept his promise.

Joseph A ......
I would thank my lucky stars, and/or my household deities. I always seem to just get the dent, without the note. I would be incredibly happy if somebody with an IQ of 51-70 apologized and actually had the wherewithal to come up with $2,390 in cash!

The shop I use (and have used for 20 years) makes occasional errors just like everyone else, but they correct their mistakes, so I keep using them. If they're having trouble meeting a deadline I usually tell them not to rush it because I'd rather they take their time so they don't need to redo it.
2008 E91 36K, 6-speed, RWD, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Lidatek, remote V-1, Cocomats, beach sand, $10 clutch stop mod. 1998 Volvo V70T5 226K, 5-speed, original clutch (third clutch pedal!), aspheric driver's mirror, E-code headlights, IPD sway bar, strut tower brace & skidplate.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
Something makes me think that someone who constantly types "IN QUOTES" on the interweb is probably a "PAIN IN THE ASS" in person. You are treating this like the first time in recorded history that paint work needed to be redone. Think about all the people who get sideswiped and nobody leaves a note. First World problems...
Yeah I am a "Pain In The Ass"... because I expect work to be done properly and not to be treated like a know nothing fool. Also, when you QUOTE someone it is proper to use "QUOTES"

The SA is a blatant LIAR.

And the propose for your reply was... ?
      02-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #11
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Shiftright View Post
I would thank my lucky stars, and/or my household deities. I always seem to just get the dent, without the note. I would be incredibly happy if somebody with an IQ of 51-70 apologized and actually had the wherewithal to come up with $2,390 in cash!

The shop I use (and have used for 20 years) makes occasional errors just like everyone else, but they correct their mistakes, so I keep using them. If they're having trouble meeting a deadline I usually tell them not to rush it because I'd rather they take their time so they don't need to redo it.
The thing is... he told me 6 days BRFORE I told him I was leaving.
      02-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
SHOWTIME
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe M-Sport

If I had to tell you about my recent experience at a bodyshop, I prob wouldn't know where to begin. I had to go back 3 times to get shit corrected. Makes me wonder how these shops stay in business.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #13
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOWTIME View Post
If I had to tell you about my recent experience at a bodyshop, I prob wouldn't know where to begin. I had to go back 3 times to get shit corrected. Makes me wonder how these shops stay in business.
The fact that they KNEW there was a problem and expected me NOT to notice is what really pisses me off.
      02-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #14
SHOWTIME
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCE90DRIVER View Post
The fact that they KNEW there was a problem and expected me NOT to notice is what really pisses me off.
I hear ya. Now u got me started. Similar story with me. Part of the 7k damage was to replace the scratched glass on the passenger door. Car was in the shop for 1 month and 1 week. I purposely called to make sure the glass was replaced. "O yea, it's taken care of." I get the car, and not only was the glass not replaced, but I get a puncture on my front tire as I drive out of their shop! A big ass screw went in there. They plugged it temporarily because I had to drive off. I get home and I discover that they lifted my car wrong. Both right and left side looked like the plastics were chewed up by a dog. Also, when they reinstalled the rocker panels, every other screw was missing. Owner was apologetic about it and offered to correct it but that's not good enough. My time is being waisted. One worker there dares to tell me, "buddy, those plastics are made to wear out." I said yea maybe, by the time the car is about 25-30yrs old and has been lifted about 50 times. I'd say that's reasonable....idiot

I really am convinced most shops operate this way...and it's a shame people like us aren't in that type of business.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
GuitarDTO
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Sorry about your problems op....but it sounds to me like you have some issues dealing with people. As bad as the work may have been, I still believe emails like yours don't do anything to help. I mean hell the person who hit you made darn sure to help correct and pay for their mistake and you still call them a moron. Immediately hard to feel any empathy for you.

You are correct to be very specific and demanding about your expectations, but next time they don't meet them or try to pass something by you...stay calm and point out that you love your car, you aren't stupid, and you expect them to fix it just as they would if it were their own car. Hope it works out for you
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #16
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDTO View Post
Sorry about your problems op....but it sounds to me like you have some issues dealing with people. As bad as the work may have been, I still believe emails like yours don't do anything to help. I mean hell the person who hit you made darn sure to help correct and pay for their mistake and you still call them a moron. Immediately hard to feel any empathy for you.

You are correct to be very specific and demanding about your expectations, but next time they don't meet them or try to pass something by you...stay calm and point out that you love your car, you aren't stupid, and you expect them to fix it just as they would if it were their own car. Hope it works out for you
Firstly, I removed the "moron" comment after the first draft and for some reason, it was not removed on this version. Secondly, it's easy to be calm, reasonable and judgmental when it's SOMEONE ELSE"S property.

Last edited by NYF32DRIVER; 02-11-2012 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #17
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330, 20' F97 X3m

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
Damn man. Sorry to hear such a around they gave you. Hope your car gets fixed whenever and where ever back to a 100%. And wish you the best of luck of your new business endeavors. It's this kind of "certified" bullshit that gives ordinary body shops a hard time cause you never hear the other side of the coin that often.

Gl getting the car back on track

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #18
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!! View Post
Damn man. Sorry to hear such a around they gave you. Hope your car gets fixed whenever and where ever back to a 100%. And wish you the best of luck of your new business endeavors. It's this kind of "certified" bullshit that gives ordinary body shops a hard time cause you never hear the other side of the coin that often.

Gl getting the car back on track
Thanks for the kind words. Believe me, if they did am amazing job, I would have gladly posted it.

Joseph

Last edited by NYF32DRIVER; 02-11-2012 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #19
Mobileum
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F10

Terrible story. But please the remove the name of the person.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #20
motch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440iX Vert, Ind. / MPPSK

I have had mostly bad luck with Hassel Service Center..
They have changed my service adviser a couple of times. The first one was fired (tells you something) and the next two didn't really understand the concept of "Service".

I have had the car (2009 328xi Lease) in for a few problems. Heated steering wheel didn't work and even when I showed them a service bulletin (use to be able to get them off of here), they said it didn't apply to my car (it did) and then they said there was nothing wrong with it.
I literally had to put the service adviser in the seat, turn on the heated steering wheel and show him how it would shut down after about 30 secs...! Then they apologized and said they would fix it~

Next time, it was my Nav system (had told them numerous times how it would freeze up). I had to show them actual pictures of how my Nav system had me driving in the water, off the Atlantic coast! Then they "apologized" and said they would fix it. They did, though they never updated my software and they scratched the center counsel. Being a lease, with less than a year left- I just didn't care anymore.

The final straw is when I brought the car to them back in Sept for a bad right rear light socket (which they replaced a few months after I got the car). On the exit off the Meadowbrook Parkway, there's a pothole that's probably been there for a few years.. well, I hit it. Long story short, bubble in the front left tire.
Having the tire/wheel insurance, no big deal.

A few day later, I pick up my car.
Find scratches and a ding/hole in the rear bumper, right side.
I bring out the manager, demand that they look at the pics of the car when I brought it in (they always take pics of the car when they accept it). Low and behold, no damage to the bumper when it was dropped off!
They "again, apologize" and the manager tells me it won't be held against me when I turn the car it after the lease.
Disgusted, I leave.

on the drive home- problem two.
I've got a shimy on the highway!
I take it to my local dealer (Open Road.. I had moved from Queens to NJ) and they put her on the lift and inform me that not only do I have a bent rim, but there's also a bubble on another tire!
They (Open Road) couldn't believe I had just come from another BMW dealership~

I am not only done with Hassel, I will tell everyone I can to AVOID HASSEL BMW.

They started off good, but once they think they have you.. they don't care about you anymore. I realize it's a business and times have been tough, but when you pay the prices that BMW demands, you should also get the type of service that comes with the price paid.

Ordered my new BMW through BMW Pentagon Sales (Rota office) and she gets delivered next month to Open Road. The few times I've been there, they've been good. Hope that continues~

Motch
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #21
NYF32DRIVER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobileum View Post
Terrible story. But please the remove the name of the person.
Why? Its available online when you look up the shop.
      02-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #22
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

If there is any truth about catching flies with honey than with vinegar, the letter sure missed on that. Seriously, Maaco is neither here, nor there, but obviously meant as an insult. Truth be told, there is no paint job that can be done where a bodyman can't spot it. Is it unfortunate that the vehicle was only 2 mos. old? Of course. But that doesn't lower the price of the rental nor does it speed up a queue.
Appreciate 0