BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

01-10-2022, 11:47 PM   #23
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Signature BMW

Signature SV602 with S.R.A

Our E92M3's wheels are done. Still waiting for the motor to be put back in.

I chose a period correct Signature Attack Series SV602 finished in brushed titanium. Added the optional Signature Reinforced Architecture (S.R.A), where the spokes are a bit beefier for endurance races and added Signature Friction this is our anti slip knurling bead tread.

18x10 ET15 square
Attached Images

b4hand661.00
OG Shark4692.50
///Mobbin1478.00
DrFerry6728.50
      01-11-2022, 11:22 AM   #24
e36clubracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ram 3500, f80M3, e36M3

What's the weight rating specs on these for street tires? Also how much do they weigh in that current 18x10 config. It would be good to compare to other forged options.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      01-11-2022, 12:04 PM   #25
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36clubracer View Post
What's the weight rating specs on these for street tires? Also how much do they weigh in that current 18x10 config. It would be good to compare to other forged options.
Our wheels are not made off the shelf or one size fits all. Each set is made to exceed JWL/VIA standards on impact and weight, specifically to the vehicle's specs. We also warranty our wheels structural integrity, even if you track your cars. As for weight, the Attack Series won't be the lightest model (being mesh with lip) that we offer, but still lighter than stock. I'll get my hands on them this week to weigh.

If weight is what you're after, our SV104 is around 19.5LB for 19". We focus more on longevity of the wheels over weight. 10,000 Ton Forged aluminum baked at our propriety temperature are strong, but has limitations. It's very easy for us to cut the wheel down to 16LB for a weight showdown and bragging rights, but how many laps will that last? We beefed up our wheels to take beating time over time, hitting rumble strips at 120mph is no problem.

For everyday use, low profile tires and potholes are enemies. Our customer https://www.instagram.com/stigwhenigrowup/ had his 16yr old son drove on the tail of the dragon. Hit a massive pothole over 65mph, thought the airbags would go off at impact and the tires would let air out. Wheels held up, they drove it all the way home 600mi to Chicago.

Tom Wrigley's 207mph M240i runs our Signature SV104.

Tom Wrigley's 1000HP M3 runs our Signature SV501

World's fastest Jeep TrackHawk (in 2019) uses Signature SV503

Last edited by Signature Wheel BMW; 01-11-2022 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      01-23-2022, 09:43 AM   #26
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Multi-Angle Valve Job

Almost done with head works. Personally done by Brad Noland at Noland's Cylinder Head Service in Kansas City, MO. If you plan to run boost on the engine in the future, always good to use Inconel exhaust valves to reduce boost leaks.

Every single seal will be replaced, BE rod bearings and bolts, then motor going back into the car. Important, while the motor out, replace the shifter shaft too. BMW are notorious for leaky shifter shaft seal. It's a $2 part.

Attached Images

03-31-2022, 10:24 AM   #27
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Vibra-Technics Motor and RevShift Tranny Mounts

Service Bulletin, if you're using chassis mounted shifters you will want firmer tranny and engine mounts. The reason being OEM shifters move with the tranny as the drivetrain rocks, chassis mounted shifters don't move so you want your drivetrain to stay still under load.

Yes, a little more NVH, but that's what it takes...

I went with Vibra-Technics Race Motor Mounts and RevShift 80a Tranny Mounts, it's the perfect combo based on research. Vibra-Technics used high grade rubber instead of Poly, which helps absorb a little more noise / vibration while maintaining max stiffness. Poly do not do well in the engine bay, they tend break in 2 pieces. With Vibra-Technics, the metal chassis acts as a second layer of protection once the rubber gives instead of just failing completely.

As for Revshift 80a, I chose OEM+ as harder tranny mounts do emits too much noise into the cabin. The motor mount will do most of the work keeping everything planted under load.

The job took me about 3hrs to do. Shifting is a lot cleaner under load.

One tool I recommend you invest in if you have a track car is this. Since you will be going through motor mounts about once every 2yrs. This is the safest tool to hold the engine in place, raising it a little to give you enough clearance to work with.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...bar-96524.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      04-25-2022, 02:06 PM   #28
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

First Track Event

Getting dialed in. I noticed when the tank is 1/2 full, the car is way more nimble. So in order to shave off the same amount of weight rear, will look into antigravity battery.

Also, the Power Steering reservoir (brand new) on this car squirts everywhere in the engine bay. I don't like the idea of just putting socks on it, as it doesn't fix the the real problem which is the fluid is overheating which build pressure. I went ahead and ordered D088 power steering cooler from ACM.

https://autocouturemotoring.com/prod...teering-cooler

If this doesn't fix it, will do Bimmerworld PS reservoir which also increase fluid capacity. More fluid = cooler system runs.
Attached Images

Last edited by Signature Wheel BMW; 04-25-2022 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 4
b4hand661.00
DrFerry6728.50
      04-26-2022, 08:10 PM   #29
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature Wheel BMW View Post

Also, the Power Steering reservoir (brand new) on this car squirts everywhere in the engine bay. I don't like the idea of just putting socks on it, as it doesn't fix the the real problem which is the fluid is overheating which build pressure. I went ahead and ordered D088 power steering cooler from ACM.

If this doesn't fix it, will do Bimmerworld PS reservoir which also increase fluid capacity. More fluid = cooler system runs.
I have been dealing with a lot of steering issues in the last year. My conclusion is that you should just use the stock reservoir and devise a good method for capturing the fluid that spills out. Some people have put an insert into the vent hole and then captured the fluid with a line that goes to a small external reservoir. And they epoxy the insert in place so it's tight and captures everything. I used to have one but then re-purposed the line to capture another fluid. I need to return to capturing it again. I have a wristband on there now.......

I had the Bimmerworld reservoir. Didn't solve anything for me. Don't get me wrong---I like BW products. But this one didn't do anything to help me.
Appreciate 2
      04-26-2022, 10:06 PM   #30
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
I have been dealing with a lot of steering issues in the last year. My conclusion is that you should just use the stock reservoir and devise a good method for capturing the fluid that spills out. Some people have put an insert into the vent hole and then captured the fluid with a line that goes to a small external reservoir. And they epoxy the insert in place so it's tight and captures everything. I used to have one but then re-purposed the line to capture another fluid. I need to return to capturing it again. I have a wristband on there now.......

I had the Bimmerworld reservoir. Didn't solve anything for me. Don't get me wrong---I like BW products. But this one didn't do anything to help me.
Appreciate the feedback. I'm going to take everyone's advice and just run D088 PS oil cooler with OEM reservoir + overflow mod. I believe us running sticky tires, the PS oil temp gets up there, causing boil over.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      04-30-2022, 07:25 AM   #31
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

AntiGravity Battery vs Oreilly's Super Start H6

AntiGravity Battery is in. I went with AG-H6-40-RS, their website shows it is 15.46LB, my precision scale shows that it is actually 13.30LB. It is so light, I thought they shipped me an empty box. You have to pick it up to believe it, your brain thinks it's a heavy object because it looks and shapes like a regular car battery.

Oreilly's Super Start Platinum is an excellent battery, 3yr warranty. 49.76LB (about 10LB lighter than stock), so I was able to drop another 36.46LB from behind the rear wheel which is huge. That will be the max I will do for weight savings in the rear as there's nothing else you can remove from the front end other than AC.

Got the battery from ACM. Free shipping and no sales tax for my state.

https://autocouturemotoring.com/prod...ry-w-re-start3

Coding and registering the new battery. Helpful link below.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338302

I removed VO code -B070 and added -A070. FA write to CAS and NFRM, code CAS KLASSE_BATTERIE to 70ah_agm. I then use my Autel computer to register the battery, but there are other ways for you to do that.

Regardless of the AH Antigravity you choose, the lowest coding you can choose is 70ah for AGM. AG battery has a built in overcharge protector like your phone, so it will only take the charge it needs.

I chose this brand as it's been around for awhile, great customer service, and it should last longer than OEM. The built in jump start feature with remote is nice. Also, for a street/track car, 40ah is as low as you want to go. If you drive your car below 40F temp, then get the 60ah for extra security.

Did some onramp testing (may or may not be on the track) to see how the car behaves, I can report that it makes a difference. The rear is a bit more nimble, exactly what I was looking for (same feeling when the tank is 1/4 full).

Disclaimer: I'm not sponsored by AG battery, I paid ACM for the battery with my hard earned money. I prefer my car to handle with a bit more oversteer and playful in the rear which makes it nimble for the way I like to enter and exit corners. If you prefer balanced, then leave your battery alone. The 50LB battery was placed there for a reason, to balance out the weight of the front. So if you like the way your car handles already, don't waste your money.

For me, it was either this or $5k titanium exhaust and $1500 CF trunk to drop the rear weight. This makes more financial sense.
Attached Images

Last edited by Signature Wheel BMW; 04-30-2022 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      05-07-2022, 08:27 PM   #32
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

D088 Power Steering Cooler Install DIY

At the track, I've seen guys using socks, remote reservoir, and 1M unit to try to alleviate the power steering fluid boiling issue with the E9x M3. At the track, your engine is constantly touching redline spinning the power steering pump at its peaking operation. Added the load and turning, weak OEM cooler unit, it's a recipe for overheated power steering fluids. Putting socks, remote reservoir, and upgrade to 1M reservoir units are just Band-Aide fixes to the real problem which is cooling. The real fix is better cooling.

Here's the OEM power steering cooler:

Here's D088 power steering cooler:

Notes: Other than OEM being 1/2 the size of D088, notice the cooling fins are only on the sides of the fluid filled pipes? D088 is beefy, 2x larger, cooling fins covers 360 degree of the fluid filled pipes, and the fitment is perfect.

Installation: You do not need to remove the bumper, but I chose to do so since it's my first time pulling the unit out. You can pull the front grille out instead if you need to reach in to assist pulling the old one out and guide the new one in.

High level install notes:
1. Drain Coolant from the radiator
2. Remove Intake, Radiator fan, and hoses (do not break that hard plastic hose from the radiator to the reservoir)
3. Pull radiator out
4. Loosen the 8mm plastic hex on both sides that holds down the AC condenser and cooling bracket

5. The AC condenser will swing towards the engine on the driver side, remove the OEM power steering cooler (put a drain pan under, will be messy)

6. Install the D088 (now is a perfect time to spray the engine bay with degreaser and wash clean while intake is out), connect everything back in reverse
7. Fill proper spec power steering fluid and coolant (for track, 25% BMW coolant and 75% distilled water). Make sure you open the vent screw on the coolant reservoir when filling coolant.
8. Keep car front off the ground, puut key in the ignition, don't start the car, leave power steering reservoir cap open, and turn the wheel right and left a couple of times. Top off the power steering fluid, then turn the wheel left and right for a minute. Top off power steering fluid again.
9. Now close the vent screw on the coolant reservoir and reinstall the coolant caps.
10. You can start the car and turn the heater up higher, let it run for 10min, turn the car off, let it sit for 2-3hrs then check coolant level.

Now no more boiling power steering fluid on the track.

I have D088 radiator, oil cooler, and now power steering cooler. Love the quality and fitment. If you have DCT, I recommend the D088 transmission cooler too. It's massive. Bought mine from Autocouture motoring, 10% off coupon (it pops up once in awhile or when you sign up for email), free ship, and no sales tax.

Last edited by Signature Wheel BMW; 05-07-2022 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      05-08-2022, 07:57 AM   #33
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

I have the full do88 kit including the PS radiator.
I have the BW PS reservoir.
I have tennis wristband on the cap.

The tennis wristband still gets oily on a track day . It does not over flow or spray oil all over the engine.

YMMV
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2022, 09:46 AM   #34
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
I have the full do88 kit including the PS radiator.
I have the BW PS reservoir.
I have tennis wristband on the cap.

The tennis wristband still gets oily on a track day . It does not over flow or spray oil all over the engine.

YMMV
I also replaced the OEM power steering reservoir for good measure as the reservoir is 13yrs old and the filter isn't serviceable. It also comes with new caps and o-rings.

Did you replace the o-ring and keep the fill level at min cold?

I've been bugging AGA to bring back their power steering reservoir. Otherwise, will run remote reservoir mod which I already have the parts for.

AGA unit looks well engineered and checks all the boxes: larger capacity, cooling fins, filter, and no report of noisy pumps.

https://agatools.com/collections/pow...ring-reservoir

Please bug them to make it again too. =)

Regardless, replacing the PS cooler is a must for track duty. That pump is being ringed at 8k RPM, fluid gets super hot. Way cheaper than a pump and rack failure.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 10:56 AM   #35
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

I would be interested in the AGA is this is a better solution.

I sent Rich an email
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2022, 06:32 PM   #36
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Great build thread! Keep an eye on those Vibra-technics mounts, they seem to be having quality issues in recent years. My Street mounts died after only 9k kms and that's with mainly street use.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2022, 07:42 PM   #37
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Great build thread! Keep an eye on those Vibra-technics mounts, they seem to be having quality issues in recent years. My Street mounts died after only 9k kms and that's with mainly street use.
Thanks. Those who reported issues are those running street mounts, I hope mine being race mounts hold up a bit better especially I also use a bit stiffer tranny mounts which create less movement on the motor. Our headers do need to be cerakoated, it gets hot right next to the mount. Will be a winter project, CeraKote calipers and headers.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 07:43 PM   #38
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
I would be interested in the AGA is this is a better solution.

I sent Rich an email
The AGA unit sales didn't take off, my theory is they didn't test / list the E9x platform and gave up on it. They make extremely well engineered products.

AGA ad 11yrs ago

Last edited by Signature Wheel BMW; 05-08-2022 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      05-08-2022, 09:16 PM   #39
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

what were you machining on the heads? valve seats?
      05-08-2022, 11:00 PM   #40
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
what were you machining on the heads? valve seats?
5 angle valve job, SuperTech High Performance Valve Kit, SuperTech Valve Springs, and light porting.
Extremely rare, but the S65 do suffer valve spring fatigued which leads to drop valves. I had it done while the motor was out.

Next step. Full SPL setup, solid rear subframe mount, and ARP diff bolts (keeping OEM diff bushings, just going to use stronger rear diff bolts as it's a weak link).

We'll see how the power steering fluid does at Ozarks International Raceway this weekend. This track is scary AF (walls and cliffs if you make a mistake), it's currently the most technical course in the US so going to run Novice group day one with instructor who is familiar with the course then Solo day 2. Less pressure learning a new track that way, especially videos cannot do the elevation change justice.

Last edited by Signature Wheel BMW; 05-09-2022 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 09:16 PM   #41
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

E92 M3 Power Steering Overflow Remote Reservoir Mod

The D088 PS cooler should keep PS fluid temp under control on the track. I'm headed to Ozark International Raceway this weekend, I really don't want to take my chances of fluid blow out again. It made a mess in the engine bay, fluid dripped down to the right front tire which created a dangerous situation.

This is my OCD version of the DIY.

Here's the complete DIY on the remote power steering reservoir. Inspired by Z4 GTE cars and @kaiv

Parts:
LE LEFOSSI Universal Motorcycle Foot Rear Brake Master Cylinder Tank Oil Cup Fluid Bottle Reservoir -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NAPA part number 9873, 90° fitting is a 5/32" elbow connector - Go to the busiest location in your city, they would have this in stock
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBH9...pressionRank=2

NAPA 2ft vacuum hose
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBHH...pressionRank=2

M6 bolt and washer (15mm long thread should be enough)
Local hardware store will have these, use stainless

Step 1:
Use a leather hole puncher and punch a hole of the rubber seal that came with the motorcycle fluid reservoir tank. This will allow fluid to transfer and everything seals properly. Put the seal back and reinstall the lid.

Step 2:
Remove your vehicle's power steering reservoir cap. Clean off fluid and dirt. Take a cotton swab, soak with alcohol and clean the vent of the cap deep inside to make sure there's no oil. That's where the elbow fitting will go into.

Step 3:
Attached the vacuum hose to the 90 degree elbow, then insert the elbow half way into the reservoir's cap vent. Use 3M plastic epoxy adhesive to attach the elbow to cap, add adhesive and push all the way in.

Step 4:
Reinstall your car's power steering reservoir cap. Connect the other end of the vacuum hose to the motorcycle reservoir then tighten the M6 screw / motorcycle reservoir to the negative post under your hood. Use only 3ft lb of torque, don't need to be tighten. Use a leveler to make sure the cap is leveled.

Flex Seal takes about 24hr to completely dry. Once dried, it's rubbery and remains flexible to the touch. Can handle higher temp, no problem.

Last edited by Signature Wheel BMW; 07-24-2023 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6728.50
911r891.00
      05-25-2022, 10:19 PM   #42
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Signature Attack Series SV601

Second set for the build finished. Signature Attack Series SV601 in Gloss Black 18x10 ET15 square, will run 3R 275/35/18 on these for dry and RT660 on the previous set for rain conditions. I really love the RT660, very compliant tires and plenty of warning before it breaks loose. Great set for those who wants to drive to track and drive home with them.

However, RT660 is 3.5LB heavier than 3R (both 275/35/18). Tires weight is something many overlook when chasing rotational weight reduction. Some track guys I know pay double for wheels to find another 2LB reduction when they don't realize the tires they run are 3-4LB heavier than other options.

About the Attack Series:
The Attack Series were created to accommodate cars with extreme offsets need. Wide race body kits require up to negative 70 offsets, traditionally that would mean 3-piece wheels or thick spacers would be required for such builds. 3-piece are heavy, can leak air if not maintained correctly, and increase production cost. Thick 25mm+ spacers can be dangerous and cause vibration at high speed. The Attack Series is single piece, light, and custom to wider fitments.

Below is Chicane's MotorSport's S62 powered E46M3 GRID LIFE race car with Signature Attack Series.
Attached Images

Last edited by Signature Wheel BMW; 05-25-2022 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 3
DrFerry6728.50
roastbeef11586.00
b4hand661.00
      09-15-2022, 12:54 PM   #43
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Progress - SPL Package, Eventuri, MS Race Mid Pipes, and More

Here's the update:

Engine:
  • New Block 2011 with 58k
  • New OEM main bearings and polished crankshaft
  • BE rod bearing and APR bolts
  • MPorium Vanos Covers (bolt on solution)
  • OEM oil check valves
  • OEM injectors
  • OEM tank vent valves
  • EGR block off and SAP delete with tune
  • Eventuri Plenum
  • Everything I can think of that can make the engine goes kaboom on the track has been thoroughly replaced or inspected

Performance:
  • MS Race Resonated Mid-Pipes (sounds ridiculously amazing with the modded OEM muffler, no drone)

Suspension:
  • Full SPL Setup (every part number that they make for this chassis) *borrowed photos from SVBimmer of the SPL setup
  • BW Solid Subframe Bushing
  • OEM Diff Bolts and OEM diff bushings
  • OEM Center Support Bearing
  • OEM all remaining rubber bushings replaced with OEM to refresh

Wheels and tires:
  • Signature Attack Series SV601 Gloss Black 18x10 ET15
  • NT01 275/35/18 (3 seconds slower than 3R, 3R is out of stock at the moment)
Attached Images

Last edited by Signature Wheel BMW; 09-15-2022 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 3
b4hand661.00
roastbeef11586.00
DrFerry6728.50
      11-15-2022, 01:12 PM   #44
reidetailing
Alex - IG @screamer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 SS E90, 11 Moonstone E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature Wheel BMW View Post
5 angle valve job, SuperTech High Performance Valve Kit, SuperTech Valve Springs, and light porting.
Extremely rare, but the S65 do suffer valve spring fatigued which leads to drop valves. I had it done while the motor was out.

Next step. Full SPL setup, solid rear subframe mount, and ARP diff bolts (keeping OEM diff bushings, just going to use stronger rear diff bolts as it's a weak link).

We'll see how the power steering fluid does at Ozarks International Raceway this weekend. This track is scary AF (walls and cliffs if you make a mistake), it's currently the most technical course in the US so going to run Novice group day one with instructor who is familiar with the course then Solo day 2. Less pressure learning a new track that way, especially videos cannot do the elevation change justice.
Any news on the SuperTech Valve Kit?

I was thinking about doing this while performing the install of my Schrick292 cams w/Schrick Valve Springs and Titanium Retainers.
- 2008 BMW E90 M3 - Silverstone - Racecar
Appreciate 0