BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-13-2019, 07:22 PM   #1
highwaystardoritos
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda S2000

Multiple error across the dash, help :(

So Tuesday I turned the car on normal, no hesitation, reversed down the driveway and forgot my wallet, parked it while still running, less than 30 secs i came back with my wipers on, strange... as soon as i sat inside the car, warning lights where. Transmission, restraint system, cruise control, dynamic damping control, DSC, DBC, all on. Couldn't turn off the wipers too. I turned it off and waited a few seconds. Try to turn it over and wouldn't. Same warning lights, but now the battery icon is on.

So went to Sams and picked up a new AGM battery. Car had the OG battery from BMW, my car is an 09. So installed it, turned it on, all the warning lights turned off but the brake system, i forgot the error what it was. I drove it in my neighborhood and parked it, turned it off, turned it back on and boom all the warning lights off other than my service due! and washer fluid level low. Turned it off and on a few times and it seems to be all good. I waited till today to take it to work since my friend has protools to register the battery for me. So i turned it on after a day of it siting in the garage and started fine, idled fine and drove to work.

I decided on lunch break to drop off the core to Sams, so i turned the car on, ilde for 10 seconds and boom wipers go on and same warning lights turn on. I turn it off and try to start it again, it turns over but it struggled but it turned on. I let it idled for a good 5 mins and boom, wipers turn off and warning lights turn off. Turn it off and on everything good.

I didn't go anywhere, but a few mins later my friend came to registered the battery. He looked up the error codes but we erased them thinking it was from the first errors a few days ago. He did see an error about the CAN BUS or something. But after erasing the codes, everything was good. ilded perfect drove around, no issues at all.

This was around 2:30pm today, so around 6pm i was leaving work, jumped in the car, started up fine, idled for 5 seconds boom, warning lights back on wipers on.

He's going to bring in laptop tomorrow with standard tools and rhiengold, but i can't stop thinking about this. Anyone have or heard of an issue i'm going through?

**UPDATE** Ended up being the valve cover gaskets leaking oil on the back of the alternator, did the valve cover gaskets, cleaned up the oil on the alternator, 2 months no issues.

Last edited by highwaystardoritos; 10-07-2019 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: problem solved
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 09:30 PM   #2
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Check charging system.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 09:34 PM   #3
highwaystardoritos
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda S2000

voltage when the car is running is 14.0+

during when the car was running with the warning lights on, the windows worked, lights worked, the AC didn't until the warnings went away along with the wipers stop moving.

Last edited by highwaystardoritos; 06-13-2019 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 0