BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
mightyaa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

TPM won't reset..

I've been battling this for a couple months now on my 08 M3 with the tech package. It first started with a cold front... start the car and get the low tire warning on all four. I look at them, they are fine. I'm in Colorado, so the temperature has big swings and it goes off everytime the temperature falls. Use the TPM menu and hit reset. And it stays on "resetting TPM". Literally, I've left it parked in the driveway for a half hour and it won't reset.

When I drive, every couple minutes it pops up the warning dominating all the gauges... Sorry, but I use my clock, the nav system, digital speedometer, etc. It is extremely aggrevating and distracting. I did finally get it to reset and all was good by getting the tires within 0.1 lbs of each other and fillng them out of my nitrogen bottle... Worked until yesterday when I had the winter shoes mounted. Now it's back and refuses to reset...

Is this something I should take to the dealership? Can they disable the system or at least set a minimum pressure before it triggers?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

I do not think that the TPMS reset while the car is parked. I am pretty sure that you have to hit the reset button while at a stand still and then start moving.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

he is right, read the owners manual, you have to drive the car for about 5-10 miles. and yes it does take time to reset.

BMW M3 E92 - Silverstone II
BPM Sport Stage II Tune + Test Pipes, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
drburton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Alpine

Agree, the direction are confusing. It says to stop the car, which you should do when you first hit the reset. But then start moving. If you just sit and wait it will never reset, have to be moving.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
mightyaa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike View Post
I do not think that the TPMS reset while the car is parked. I am pretty sure that you have to hit the reset button while at a stand still and then start moving.
Yup... I've done all sorts of variations. If I reset, then drive, the low pressure indicator pops up before the reset is finished. So like this morning.. I've got 9 stop signs between work and home.. At each and every one I hit the reset. Within a block, the chime goes off and the warning pops up and dominates every gauge. I've also done it as I get on a highway... same deal.

What I haven't tried is using the button on the dash... I've just been using the hud menu.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

Did you actually check your pressure?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
KJM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeram View Post
+1

Maybe you are below some threshold that wont let the TPM reset.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
VonSwoopington
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJM3 View Post
+1

Maybe you are below some threshold that wont let the TPM reset.
+2

Had a nail in each of the rear tires in the M6. Very slow leak and the TPMS would go off every two weeks.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #9
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSwoopington View Post
+2

Had a nail in each of the rear tires in the M6. Very slow leak and the TPMS would go off every two weeks.
a nail in each of the rears!!! have you pissed off anybody lately?? I remember when my father's MB used to get a flat tire repeatedly but "conveniently" close to the same tire shop
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
VonSwoopington
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
a nail in each of the rears!!! have you pissed off anybody lately?? I remember when my father's MB used to get a flat tire repeatedly but "conveniently" close to the same tire shop
I wouldn't be surprised.. some people just get jealous when they see nice cars.

Cost me $200 to get the nails removed and patched from bmw :

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #11
mightyaa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeram View Post
Yep...
Literally the warning popped up the second I started the car after getting the winter tires put on. It just sticks on "resetting TPM" until a new warning pops up. Checked the pressure with a crappy pencil gauge and it's good at 32; I have not checked the others to see if there's a difference side to side. I've got a high quality racing gauge (one that measures in tenths) at home I'll use tonight. Hopefully it's just something like 36 on one side and 32 on the other...

One of my thoughts would normally be a damaged sensor during the changeout, but this whole TPM warning fiasco started well before I swapped the tires.

Another thought did cross my mind. Before any of this mess, the M3 was at the dealership for a couple days having work done. Maybe they did something to the computer? I seem to remember reading somewhere that the techs can adjust the parameters to reduce the "false positives".. maybe it got reset into very tight tolerances?

btw; tried the dash button over lunch. Didn't make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 03:43 PM   #12
michaelw9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 Yas Marina Blue M4

The TPMS use batteries for the wireless sensors. They don't activate until the vehicle is rolling. Try to reset it once you're actually in motion, and stay in motion driving for about 10-15 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #13
mightyaa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelw9 View Post
The TPMS use batteries for the wireless sensors. They don't activate until the vehicle is rolling. Try to reset it once you're actually in motion, and stay in motion driving for about 10-15 minutes.
You can only reset it at a complete stop. I have had only two opportunities to do as you suggest and drive for 10+ minutes without stopping. Didn't clear it or reset. Like I've stated, within a couple blocks, the chime will go off and the warning pops up while it's trying to reset. And what's with BMW's paranoia? Do I really need 4 seperate warning lights for this?

I've got some time with Thanksgiving. Tonight I throw on my real gauge and balance those pressures out so I can rule out it being a real issue. Wonder how long those batteries last? That could a the issue, but doubt it. I'd think it'd show red versus yellow on the tire, and the past round of this, all four showed yellow and wouldn't let me clear it (pressures were fine then too).
Appreciate 0