BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

11-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
kornykidd0
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Active Autowerke rear and akra x-pipe? Why not?

So I think I'm finally going to take the next step and get an xpipe for my e90. I have the AA signature rear section, and have decided to either get the AA xpipe, or try something (maybe?) different and go with an akra xpipe and the rpk adapters. I haven't been able to find any videos of how it might sound, has anyone gone this route? Is it worth the semi-trouble (adapters) to save the extra few lbs, and maybe get some different sounds or am I just being foolish? I'd rather go AA over challenge I think, and anything over test pipes- I don't want to hack up the stock system.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Lots of positive feedback for the AA

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I've heard some mismatched akra setups that sound solid.

Unless I'm misremembering, those adapters are damn expensive. That cost, plus the proceeds from the sale of your AA rear section you're probably @ or near akra rear section cost (used). Something to consider. If weight savings is a priority, those are to be found in the akra rear section. Full Evo system is awesome in every way IMO.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
kornykidd0
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM
I've heard some mismatched akra setups that sound solid.

Unless I'm misremembering, those adapters are damn expensive. That cost, plus the proceeds from the sale of your AA rear section you're probably @ or near akra rear section cost (used). Something to consider. If weight savings is a priority, those are to be found in the akra rear section. Full Evo system is awesome in every way IMO.
Awesome. Appreciate the input. I'm keeping my aa rear, I love the way it sounds and while the akra was my initial choice in rear section I prefer the AA note more. The adapters are ridiculously overpriced, but the quantity of akra xpipes on the used front plus the cost of the adapters is close to the cost of a new AA xpipe. I've been having trouble finding used AA xpipes on the forums. Chances are ill wind up with a full active auto system vs the mix and match unless I can find some video or hear in person the mix n match I'm thinking.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

AA rear section sounds great for sure. I heard one booming down the front straight @ homestead last year. Really caught my attention.

My vote is for the akra x pipe and AA rear section then. Bet it will sound great and be very livable day to day. Akra mid accomplishes that better than almost any other mid section. Be the first and post the results!

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Get the Dinan x pipe. I have it with the AA rear and get nothing but compliments.

I have had this set up on the car since 2010. I have been wanting a different rear section, but just love this sound too much.

If you are near the New England area hit me up.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Do you want cats or no cats?

If no cats, just get the ebay X-pipe. Just keep in mind you really don't gain anything with cutting out the secondary cats. If you don't mind the secondary cats, just get some test pipes.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #8
Imran@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: All of them

Just make sure the adapters fit well and do not leak.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #9
kornykidd0
Private
Rep

The adapters should fit like a glove for the price they are. While I'd like to try something different I think I may just save the hassle and get the AA pipe. Also it'd b high flow cats. Don't wanna go catless
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #10
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
Get the Dinan x pipe. I have it with the AA rear and get nothing but compliments.

I have had this set up on the car since 2010. I have been wanting a different rear section, but just love this sound too much.

If you are near the New England area hit me up.
Dinan x pipe is great. I have the dinan x pipe, a dual resonated gintani and mastermind race right now and have had 2 akra x pipes also. My fav is actually the Gintani. Sounds the same as the dinan but just feels a bit smoother and doesn't feel like I lost as much power on the low end.

I used to run the Akra with custom adapters with an AA exhaust. It was nice but got annoying very quickly...plus I hated the look of the AA from the rear.

Right now I am running Gintani dual resonated with Akra and and switching the Akra for IPE. Cannot wait. Miss that exotic high pitched sound.

Last edited by Wolfinwolfsclothing; 11-22-2013 at 06:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

If you have any questions please let me know.
Appreciate 0