BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

02-11-2019, 09:39 PM   #1
SS1M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E92 6 speed

Garage List
zero Compression in cylinder 8

I had misfire in cylinder #8 on my M3 09 with 75k and had oil change two weeks ago. I was at the traffic lights and notice the RMP going up and down. later more vidration and car went to limp mode with “reduce power light on”
It went to the dealership, they swap coil and spark plugs and still misfire.
They a compressions test and Zero pressure in cylinder 8. the will remove the engine cover tomorrow and hope for a damage valve or spring.
I hope that this is not the end of this engine..

does anyone have any suggestions to diagnose the issue?
Who can rebuilt an engine?
      02-12-2019, 05:34 AM   #2
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Sorry to hear mate. Possible advice here: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1582566
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 05:43 AM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I assume the dealer has given you a diagnosis. The single cylinder issue might be a broken valve spring. It’s not common but has happened to a few cars. If the rod bearing was spinning rather than the rod moving, there would be a lot of friction and I think by now, given all the testing that has been done with the engine running, you would have bigger problems than misfires — the engine would be locked up and/or ruined.

As noted in the other post, there are good shops around the country that rebuild these motors if you need a rebuild. I am not sure you do but you will need some repair work. I’d rather give it to one of these independent shops than a dealer.
Appreciate 0