BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

03-25-2019, 09:03 PM   #45
lenrok
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camnyc View Post
I came from an fbo f80, and let me tell you this, no matter how fast that car was it didnt put a smile on my face the way my current e90m does. The driver engagement is like no other.

I actually prefer the smaller interior of the e90, the mechanical feel and sound of it all.

The only thing I dislike on the e9x is the seating position/feel/adjustability (6’2 210lbs). The f8x has the advantage here.

Other than that, You cant pay me to own another f8x, maybe the f87csl but thats another story.

Enjoy the e90 op, its the last of its kind.
I dropped my car off at the dealer last week for an airbag recall and they gave me a new F40Mi loaner. Wow that thing in Sport plus mode is insane, torque and high end power. Not to mention the burble it gives from factory. It felt right on the road.

But i hear what you are saying. I haven't pushed this thing hard at all prior to the rod bearings being replaced. Honestly I don't think I went past 6k. I'll agree it's the last "analog" M3 and the only model with the V8.

One thing I do hate is the gearbox, try throwing it in 2nd gear quick and it is notchy. Vs gliding it into 2nd then its smooth. I'm not a fan of how it goes from gear to gear.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 09:35 PM   #46
E46tknv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenrok View Post
Having some second thoughts only after 2 months of ownership. It's cool I guess, revs really high, looks ok. I guess I was expecting more I suppose.

But then again I also just recently drove a F80 M3. and what a difference. Do you guys feel these E9X's will go up in value?
Revs incredibly high. I’ve hit redline a few times and it’s mind blowing. It feels like a completely different car.
Looks? After parking my work car and walking passed the m3, I appreciate it more and more. It’s absolutely beautiful.

F80 m3 I’ve driven, a handful of times, but enjoy the NA cars more(driven a lot of 911s). The f80 has that low end torque that the e90 doesn’t but that’s all NA cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 01:07 AM   #47
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
1. Get a tune. ASAP. This is non-negotiable. I recommend Alpine.

2. Put exhaust on the car. This is negotiable, but I don't believe the true soul of this incredible sounding engine (one of the best sounding cars BMW ever made) is being done any favors with stock exhaust.

3. Make sure your tires are good and find a local M or Porsche group and tag along on a run, putting the car through its paces. I'm talking like drive for 3 hours and go home and pass out because you're exhausted kind of driving.

It's a special car. I purposely sought this car out. I could have just as easily bought an F8x, 911, or a vette. This was always the car I wanted.

I've had it for six months and I don't love that I've spent over $5k in maintenance. I think it's total bullshit parts are so expensive. I don't like the driving position (I'm 6'3"). Sometimes I feel a bit weird screaming down the road single-handedly tearing a hole in the ozone layer and violating every sound ordinance while passing the bike share/pet-friendly vegan restaurant/record and craft store during a single-use-plastics protest in my hippy city.

But the car is f*cking gorgeous, timeless even, I try not to get caught staring back at it too much after I park it. It sounds incredible, and it's thrilling to drive. It's not without its flaws, no doubt. But put the work in and drive it right and take care of a couple necessary mods.

I don't believe this car is right for everyone. I'm a muscle car guy that likes nice stuff. I like that the car is visceral and raw yet elegant and refined.

It's like drinking a 30 year old scotch out of a solo cup.

Some people's inclination here is to recommend the f8x M3/4... if you want a rocket that sounds like nails on a chalkboard at WOT, fo for it. Put exhaust on it and you've got a car that sounds like a robot farting. Meh.
      03-26-2019, 07:20 AM   #48
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post

2. Put exhaust on the car. This is negotiable, but I don't believe the true soul of this incredible sounding engine (one of the best sounding cars BMW ever made) is being done any favors with stock exhaust.

3. Make sure your tires are good and find a local M or Porsche group and tag along on a run, putting the car through its paces. I'm talking like drive for 3 hours and go home and pass out because you're exhausted kind of driving.

It's a special car. I purposely sought this car out. I could have just as easily bought an F8x, 911, or a vette. This was always the car I wanted.

I've had it for six months and I don't love that I've spent over $5k in maintenance. I think it's total bullshit parts are so expensive. I don't like the driving position (I'm 6'3"). Sometimes I feel a bit weird screaming down the road single-handedly tearing a hole in the ozone layer and violating every sound ordinance while passing the bike share/pet-friendly vegan restaurant/record and craft store during a single-use-plastics protest in my hippy city.

But the car is f*cking gorgeous, timeless even, I try not to get caught staring back at it too much after I park it. It sounds incredible, and it's thrilling to drive. It's not without its flaws, no doubt. But put the work in and drive it right and take care of a couple necessary mods.

I don't believe this car is right for everyone. I'm a muscle car guy that likes nice stuff. I like that the car is visceral and raw yet elegant and refined.

It's like drinking a 30 year old scotch out of a solo cup.

Some people's inclination here is to recommend the f8x M3/4... if you want a rocket that sounds like nails on a chalkboard at WOT, fo for it. Put exhaust on it and you've got a car that sounds like a robot farting. Meh.
That is one of the better descriptions I have seen.
Appreciate 1
cjm41752.50
      03-26-2019, 08:33 AM   #49
lenrok
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46tknv View Post
Revs incredibly high. I’ve hit redline a few times and it’s mind blowing. It feels like a completely different car.
Looks? After parking my work car and walking passed the m3, I appreciate it more and more. It’s absolutely beautiful.

F80 m3 I’ve driven, a handful of times, but enjoy the NA cars more(driven a lot of 911s). The f80 has that low end torque that the e90 doesn’t but that’s all NA cars.
I love that low end torque, I'll agree the F80 m3's sounds funny with exhaust. Sounds farty. I do enjoy the rawness of the v8 brawl, i need test pipes and a tune to maybe start feeling better.
Appreciate 1
cjm41752.50
      03-26-2019, 08:36 AM   #50
lenrok
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

1. I'm doing research on tunes. I've Gintani is one of the better ones. I've also heard BMP.

2. Exhaust would be on the list. I've heard the ACM OEM exhaust mod makes it louder as well, along with some test pipes. And the added HP.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 08:49 AM   #51
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E60 M5, F15 X5, E46

Quote:
Quote:

1. I'm doing research on tunes. I've Gintani is one of the better ones. I've also heard BMP.

2. Exhaust would be on the list. I've heard the ACM OEM exhaust mod makes it louder as well, along with some test pipes. And the added HP.
Agree with cjm41, very happy with my Alpine tune. I think there is a group buy discount still available. Alex is doing my DCT GTS tomorrow.

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 1
cjm41752.50
      03-26-2019, 09:24 AM   #52
KenshinHimura
Rep

Quote:

I just installed exhaust with ACM mod. Sounds awesome with everything else stock.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2019, 10:11 AM   #53
lenrok
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenshinHimura View Post
I just installed exhaust with ACM mod. Sounds awesome with everything else stock.
What's that run $700-800 to do? Who did the work?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #54
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

All of the tunes are pretty much the same. Do yourself a favor and put that one on your shortlist, Alex is a standup dude and there's a group buy going on right now.

Tons of exhaust options. Try to get out to a local meet and hear other guy's cars before pulling the trigger.
      03-26-2019, 10:51 AM   #55
lenrok
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
All of the tunes are pretty much the same. Do yourself a favor and put that one on your shortlist, Alex is a standup dude and there's a group buy going on right now.

Tons of exhaust options. Try to get out to a local meet and hear other guy's cars before pulling the trigger.
How do I inquiry on the group tune buy? Link?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 10:54 AM   #56
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

How do I inquiry on the group tune buy? Link?
Alpine tune group buy https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1592291
      03-26-2019, 11:29 AM   #57
BWB
Rep
Drives: Too many cars, never enough.

My only regret is buying an e92m instead of an e90m.

Once you accept the car for what it is and don't expect it to be like something else (ie. 911) you will notice how great it is. This can be debated but let's be real the m3 is a touring car and not a sports car. You can throw all the money in parts you want at it but know that it will never be a light and nimble Porsche 911, Honda s2000, any Lotus, any Ferrari.

With that said it really is a fantastic car and although I don't recommend this - I have probably spent enough on mods for mine to purchase a second. I have other cars which are fast and light sports cars but they are not good all season daily drivers, the m3 will always be. So stop babying it and drive it.

Get rid of the H&R springs asap if you're still on stock struts, put the oem struts back in or upgrade your struts to use with the h&r springs. For your first mods I will echo the others and get a tune w/ downipes & axle back exhaust, also my favorite mod is the monoball front suspension arm kit, this one from GAS is exactly the same as the Dinan set but a lot more affordable. A night and day difference under braking!! http://www.germanautosolutions.com/p...hp?product=139

I don't know where in NJ you are but this is a 2hr fun scenic driving route: https://goo.gl/HQb5U9

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 04:12 PM   #58
lenrok
Private First Class
Rep

What do you recommend for struts? I like the H&R springs as I have ran them on previous cars. And once the stock struts are gone does it need coding?

I'm in South NJ, Cherry Hill, however I am from NYC
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 05:38 PM   #59
BWB
Rep
Drives: Too many cars, never enough.

Quote:
What do you recommend for struts? I like the H&R springs as I have ran them on previous cars. And once the stock struts are gone does it need coding?

It really depends on what you want to do with the car and your budget.

When I bought my e92m two months later I did the same thing and put in H&R springs on with my stock EDC struts. I loved the drop but didn't realize how shitty it rode compared to the springs mated with a proper aftermarket performance strut. The stock m3 struts are not properly valved to deal with the increased H&R spring rates and the car will seem like its bouncing even in sport mode. I don't think the EDC is worth it at all IMO, I got it because I thought it would be cool to control stiffness without climbing under the car in my parking garage. Eventually, I coded it out (easy and reversible) and installed the Ohlins r&t coilovers which are amazing and I can highly recommend for a street car/light track duty.

Since you are down south call up the guys at http://tyspeed.com or http://www.vacmotorsports.com/ as both are very reputable across all the forums and super close to Cherry Hill. They can go over your car with you and make recommendations if you're not sure what to do.
Appreciate 1
daarts38.50
      03-26-2019, 05:42 PM   #60
lenrok
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWB View Post

When I bought my e92m two months later I did the same thing and put in H&R springs on with my stock EDC struts. I loved the drop but didn't realize how shitty it rode compared to the springs mated with a proper aftermarket performance strut. The stock m3 struts are not properly valved to deal with the increased H&R spring rates and the car will seem like its bouncing even in sport mode. I don't think the EDC is worth it at all IMO, I got it because I thought it would be cool to control stiffness without climbing under the car in my parking garage. Eventually, I coded it out (easy and reversible) and installed the Ohlins r&t coilovers which are amazing and I can highly recommend for a street car/light track duty.

Since you are down south call up the guys at http://tyspeed.com or http://www.vacmotorsports.com/ as both are very reputable across all the forums and super close to Cherry Hill. They can go over your car with you and make recommendations if you're not sure what to do.
I've spoken to the guys at VAC, I just did my rod bearing service and used their bearing kit.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 07:33 PM   #61
LuckiSevens
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWB View Post
Quote:

I'm confused, you had edc but replaced it with something else (static set up), deleted the edc coding then realized what you did was crap? Modified it again, now it's all amazing.

What was the special need here, are you an expert chassis designer?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 07:45 PM   #62
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
The E92 is a car that will take some getting used to. You'll have to learn the torque curve, the steering feel, and the gearing. You'll have to put in the work to understand how it's engineered to reach its full potential. The F80 is easy to get in, press the pedal and with gobs of torque you're off. The M3 requires a proper warm up, the right suspension, engine, and gear settings at all times. To drive one is an experience, and an incredible one at that.

I've used this analogy before but it stands true: just like a relationship, you have to learn what makes her tick. If you date an "easy girl" you may get away with doing the bare minimum and still get what you want. But if you date a perfect 10, you will absolutely have to put in effort to get what you want or she will get bored quickly.

Put in the effort, learn what makes the M3 tick, and you will enjoy it far more than an F80. I am certain of this.
Appreciate 2
cjm41752.50
daarts38.50
      03-26-2019, 08:33 PM   #63
lenrok
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGatsby View Post
The E92 is a car that will take some getting used to. You'll have to learn the torque curve, the steering feel, and the gearing. You'll have to put in the work to understand how it's engineered to reach its full potential. The F80 is easy to get in, press the pedal and with gobs of torque you're off. The M3 requires a proper warm up, the right suspension, engine, and gear settings at all times. To drive one is an experience, and an incredible one at that.

I've used this analogy before but it stands true: just like a relationship, you have to learn what makes her tick. If you date an "easy girl" you may get away with doing the bare minimum and still get what you want. But if you date a perfect 10, you will absolutely have to put in effort to get what you want or she will get bored quickly.

Put in the effort, learn what makes the M3 tick, and you will enjoy it far more than an F80. I am certain of this.
Wow, do you write poetry?
Appreciate 1
MrGatsby348.00
      03-26-2019, 08:43 PM   #64
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckiSevens View Post
I'm confused, you had edc but replaced it with something else (static set up), deleted the edc coding then realized what you did was crap? Modified it again, now it's all amazing.

What was the special need here, are you an expert chassis designer?
He had EDC. Replaced oem springs with HR springs(this doesn't mess with the EDC function). Realized that lowering the car with just springs and not replacing the bumpstocks/shaving the mounts would cause the ride to be horrible(provided a link below, if you're going to lower with just springs shaving the mounts and replacing the bumpstocks with e36 bumpstocks is a common route). The ride quality is terrible because of the reduction in travel. So then he replaced the oem assembly, this require unplugging the EDC which results in an error that can be coded out.

Bottom line OEM rides nicely, but isn't as adjustable as some of the coilover options. Also oem sits quite high, I'm not a fan of the excess wheel gap.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427147
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 08:45 PM   #65
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGatsby View Post

Wow, do you write poetry?
He's had practice. He gives all the new people that come here complaining about their car thinking it was a mistake the same analogy.

I agree, well-worded. And you're not the first to come around thinking you ended up with the wrong car. Learn how this car works. It's a drivers car. If you give it time, hang around the forums, do some cruises/runs and still don't love it, there's a line of people foaming at the mouth to get behind the wheel
      03-26-2019, 09:00 PM   #66
lenrok
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
He's had practice. He gives all the new people that come here complaining about their car thinking it was a mistake the same analogy.

I agree, well-worded. And you're not the first to come around thinking you ended up with the wrong car. Learn how this car works. It's a drivers car. If you give it time, hang around the forums, do some cruises/runs and still don't love it, there's a line of people foaming at the mouth to get behind the wheel
Weather was nice today. Went for a light cruise and quick interior cleaning. Aside from having to replace the tie rods, I gotta say it was fun to drive. I felt more confident pushing it into high revs now that my bearings are done. Peace of mind I suppose.

Working on doing some other maintenance items to fully try and enjoy it further. Really appreciate all the feedback fellas.
Appreciate 1
cjm41752.50