BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

12-05-2018, 05:13 AM   #1
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

KDCAN cable not showing up in INPA

Ok, so about 6 months ago I researched everything for how to code using BimmerGeeks standard tools 2.12 and was able to get a good handful of things coded and was on my merry way. Well now I need to code something out again and I reinstalled everything and CANNOT remember how to get the cable to work again. Yes it's the right cable, no it's not a cable with a switch to change modes.

I'm using Windows 10 64 bit. I installed the 64 bit drivers from EDIABAS and was successful, but when I plug in the cable, I'm still not getting cable detection or ignition detection in INPA. The only thing that's changed is that it's a new laptop and I think previously I was using a USB 2.0 port, but this new laptop only has USB 3.0 ports. Is this a known issue?

In Windows 10 you have to manually add the "Ports (COM & LPT)" device in device manager. I did so by going to the "Action" menu in device manager and selecting "Add legacy hardware". Ok done. Then under the Ports "tree" there is permanently a "Communications Port" device (at least for me). I changed this one to COM4 in the properties menu. Then I plugged in my cable and it showed up as "KDCAN" USB device in device manager in its own "tree". I went into properties for this device and manually installed the 64 bit drivers from the EDIABAS hardware folder in the C drive. After this, my cable showed up as "USB to Serial converter" in the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" tree. Then a new type of USB device showed up in its own tree (can't remember the name) and I reinstalled the drivers again for this new device. After that, I finally had "USB Serial Port" show up in the "Ports (COM & LPT)" tree. Now I was finally able to go to properties and change the COM port to COM1 and set latency to 1. From what I remember last time I coded, this was all that was needed to set up the cable in Windows 10, but the cable is STILL not showing up. I have tried with the cable by itself and with the cable plugged up to the OBD port. Same result. No cable detected and no ignition detected. I have tried all 3 USB ports and have also tried restarting several times. Nothing is working so far.

See screenshot below for details. Does anyone have any advice?

Name:  inpa 2.png
Views: 5180
Size:  206.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 10:50 AM   #2
afy511
Rep
Drives: x5 n55 35i 2011

How did you fix it?

I have similar issue when uninstalled and installed new INPA
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 11:45 AM   #3
Frostynorth
Weirdo
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Had to pull fresh drivers for the cable, the ones with the software wouldn't install properly.

https://ftdichip.com/drivers/vcp-drivers/

First windows 64bit link, version: 2.12.36.4
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 02:56 PM   #4
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

I have a similar issue. My old one stop electronics cable works but my bimmergeeks cable doesn't work on the same laptop.

Wasn't sure if I needed to update any drivers but I filled out the bimmergeeks contact form and they never responded to my inquiry.

Might try the driver update but I didn't want to mess with my setup as it works with my older cable.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 06:47 PM   #5
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4 sDrive 35i 6MT

Did you ever resolve this issue? I am having it now when my cable and software previously worked. I can’t figure out what changed.
Appreciate 0