BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
okla7788
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 Melbourne Red E93

HELP! wheel bolt loosening every couple days

I have just installed winter tire with 18" sport edition A7 wheels square setup as recommended on this forum. The wheel bolt to the left rear wheel becomes loose every couple of days (20k city driving each day). I have OEM bolts, no spacer. It was a heck of a time getting the summer wheels of the particular corner. I have torque the bolt to 90 everytime. What's going on?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla7788 View Post
I have just installed winter tire with 18" sport edition A7 wheels square setup as recommended on this forum. The wheel bolt to the left rear wheel becomes loose every couple of days (20k city driving each day). I have OEM bolts, no spacer. It was a heck of a time getting the summer wheels of the particular corner. I have torque the bolt to 90 everytime. What's going on?
Are the OEM lug bolts the correct length for this wheel? If they are too short in length then you are not getting sufficient thread engagement.

Did you clean the mounting surface and hub? If there is rust, debris or grease between the wheel and mounting surface you could potentially lose preload.

What pattern (e.g., star) are you using to torque the bolts? If a star pattern is not used it could potentially result in non-uniform preload/torque.

Is it difficult to install the lug bolts (i.e., can you install them by hand)? If the threads are damaged in the hub then 100% of your applied torque is not preloading the bolt.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
okla7788
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 Melbourne Red E93

Thanks for the reply.

I was told by Tire Rack that the OEM should be fine for this installation. If it is a matter of longer bolts that would be an easy fix. I had gone back and wire brushed, and degreased the mounting surface before mounting but still no help.

I did use the stars pattern and the bolts seems to go in fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla7788 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I was told by Tire Rack that the OEM should be fine for this installation. If it is a matter of longer bolts that would be an easy fix. I had gone back and wire brushed, and degreased the mounting surface before mounting but still no help.

I did use the stars pattern and the bolts seems to go in fine.
To check length, stick one of the lug bolts thru the stock wheel and measure the length of the bolt sticking out of the back side of the wheel mounting surface. Do the same thing with the A7 wheel (obviously need to remove it from the car first).

When you torque the lug bolts do you torque them with the wheel off the ground or "snug" the bolts in the air and torque with wheel on the ground or torque the lug bolts on the ground without first "snubbing" the bolts with the wheel off the ground?
Appreciate 0